Anyone heard the MBL 116F?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I have 9011 but always interested in learning from fellow MBL 101 owners their experience of different amps. In general, I am wary of tube amps. I have ARC Ref 40 and Ref 10 before. Both sound greats in the beginning but performance goes downhill very quickly due to tubes ageing. I have now Passlabs Xs. It is great and very happy with it.

That's great that you are happy and in the end what it's all about, what size of room do you have? What type of music do you listen too? Are you into analogue.

I have never owned the ARC Ref40 or 10 so I can't comment but back when I was doing amp evaluations I owned MBL 6010d, Arc Ref3, VTL for some three years plus and VAC. I never had any issues as you mention, VAC was my favorite out of the others.

Have you had the 6010d paired up with your 9011's? What cables are you using?

Have you checked out my thread about my VAC journey? If not you should, prior to leaving and upon arrival back I had the 9011's paired up with my 101E's.

Any pics you can post showing your set-up.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Curious if owners of MBL's in general take the time to level up their speakers. I was over to a guys place the other evening for a listen and found he hadn't, I was surprised when I checked "actually visually could see they were off" and both were really out of wrack. I found initially when listening images not as focused nor stable as they should be along with performers in general on the stage.

I personally feel it's very important to ensure what ever speaker you own they bang on level. - it makes a difference.

See the picture below, this is what I use and tells me exactly what's going on and what foot to adjust - I also use this on transports besides what it was actually manufactured for "turntables"

20141021_143445.jpg

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
DEV,

Are you still an MBL owner or have you moved on?

GG

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
DEV,

Are you still an MBL owner or have you moved on?

GG

My MBL's were just picked up yesterday and going to their new owner, I owned them for 9 years - truly enjoyed and learned allot. Absolutely marvelous instruments.

I have not replaced them but do have a secondary speaker to listen to which I have owned for over a years time.

20141030_152809.jpg

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
What speaker do you have in mind? Why are you changing it? I'm curious to know.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
What speaker do you have in mind? Why are you changing it? I'm curious to know.

You have a PM

X-treme would be nice ;)

They are absolutely wonderful speakers, paired up with the Vac Statement 450's really allows them to shine - match made in heaven! My VAC's are available so if anyone is interested PM me.

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
Is very excited today when my new MBL 116F speakers come in during the day. Have never had MBL before so this will be exciting :)

Espen L

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Hi Espen,

how are your new speakers doing?
I'm listening for 4 years with my 116 and have no intentions to change them in the near future.
What amps are you using them with?
I can heartly recommend you try big class A amps, they seem to suit the MBL sound very synergistically.

Christoph

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
Hi Espen,

how are your new speakers doing?
I'm listening for 4 years with my 116 and have no intentions to change them in the near future.
What amps are you using them with?
I can heartly recommend you try big class A amps, they seem to suit the MBL sound very synergistically.

Christoph

Hi Christoph
I am very happy with my MBL 116f They play with a huge soundstage with tight and nice bass. They are also detailed and fine in the treble. I have Dan D Agostino master audio system (integreation) amplifier and Burmester 069 as cd player. Had been fun and tried MBL electronics on those too. changed treble much when you had play on several hours on your loudspeaker?

Espen L

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Hi Espen,
can't comment much on the treble question, because mine was a dealer demonstration unit which was already broken in when I bought it.
I can imagine though, that also the Radialstrahlers need sufficient break in to sound their best (a few hundred hours I would guess).

I also found that MBLs need a considerable amount of care when setting them up, a few inches can make a night and day difference. In my system I also needed to take care of power conditioning (Vibex). Without filtering, I got a somewhat hot treble. YMMV.

Your amp must surely sound great with the 116, good match!

Christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing