Pass X5-350 versus Karan S 600

Roumen

Nov 14, 2017
France
Hello everyone,

I am new on this forum so please excuse my eventual clumsiness..
I acquired recently a pair of Wilson Alexia speakers. The pre-amp is an Ayon S5. For the moment I use my old Pass Labs X5-350 amplifier. My hifi dealer suggests me to replace it with a new and much better Karan s 600 amplifier. I can imagine that the Karan is better, but is it so much better than the Pass? Does somebody have experience in driving Alexia speakers with Pass X5-350? What would be a “sufficiently good” amplifier for driving these speakers?

Thanks for your advice!

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Sir,

You either have an X-350 or an X-350.5
The X-350.5 is the second generation of this amp, with noticeable improvements in sound.
I'm not familiar with the Karan amplifiers. If you have an X-350, the Karan may be noticeably better.
If you have an X-350.5, it would be much harder to beat, in sound quality.
Hope this helps..

Roumen

Nov 14, 2017
France
Dear Daniel,
You are right, it is an X 350.5. My mistake, sorry.
I agree that it is a good amplifier even if Pass is not very popular here in France, in any case much less than in the US. Generally it is blamed to be a little up in the high midrange. The Karan is certainly better, but I try to evaluate how much it is better..
Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing