More than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries issue 'warning to humanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
With Brexit, we're about to practice ecomomic Hari Kiri that will make a nice practice run for the true end of civilisation.

I always think rehearsing things makes good sense.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's feeling real LOL.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't know if I'm convinced on all of these subjects in the way presented. But what I'd like to see is vast improvements in non-toxic enforcements. I'm worried about the stuff getting into me. And I want to see outlawing of disposable items of certain types. IMO we need to grind landfill's to a near hault, and mostly have them for retro goods. Clean water, clear dirt, clean air. I'm not really opposed to gas/diesel cars. I'm opposed to feed lots, garbage construction, non-natural carpet, dryer sheets, endless VOCs, piss poor construction design (even with good materials), packaging, and so forth. Work on consumables and manufacturing (they're one in the same, in large part). Then we'll be getting somewhere. The solutions this people have are often polarizing notions trying to be passed by jerks so it goes to standstill. Start with smaller battles and education. Here's one for you, carpet is so toxic today that warehouses for it don't have to set mice/rat traps anymore.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yeah, Mother Earth will be fine. But we really ought to do something about actual pollution, instead of being so fixated on harmless CO2. For example, it's saddening to see islands of plastic trash in the middle of the ocean and other actual, tractable problems being comparatively ignored.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've only posted that short video that I've found accidentally because I've worked in the forest industry for a considerable fraction of my lifetime. That's all.

"The Sound of Brexit" lol I like it. :D

Seriously though, we need to better care of each other and of our garden.
Our brains are melting @ an alarming rate.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yeah, Mother Earth will be fine. But we really ought to do something about actual pollution, instead of being so fixated on harmless CO2. For example, it's saddening to see islands of plastic trash in the middle of the ocean and other actual, tractable problems being comparatively ignored.
Well no, and well yes, and errr no and uhhhm yes...
Mother Earth is almost certainly very not likely to be at all fine for a very, very long time... and yes we need to deal with pollution absolutely, and even more absolutely and unequivocally no, CO2 is certainly not in the least bit harmless when in the kinds of concentrations it currently is and could almost certainly be a planet killer if we don’t deal with it as a matter of priority.

There is already extraordinary collateral damage and loss of life and species due to even just the current green house gas levels and we haven’t even peaked yet! Yes, a sea of plastic is saddening but it would be good if just sad was the only effect... it chokes our oceans and creates great harm and dealing with plastics is a toxic pollution issue that we are going to struggle with but that ‘harmless’ CO2 is almost certainly going to continue to kill off the reefs, destroy fish stocks and significantly changing sea levels and the way the oceans work and creating massive loss in both sea life and human and animal loss and likely ecological failure across the planet.

The initial video was ok but hardly delivered anything that increased our understanding other than being a bit alarmist (alarm should ofcourse be our current go to status) it really didn’t tell us anything much we haven’t understood for some time. There is much much more going on in the approach to find ways to sequest carbon rather than just planting trees.

There is fascinating research going on in research into sequesting carbon into soil with mycorrhizal fungi biomass that could then also add fertility to the soil for farming.

Water and carbon are two of the greatest planetary challenges we have, not enough or too much of the former or as we are discovering now just too much of the latter are both clearly potential planet-wide life killers. While we will not be the first species to go but we may not be the last species to go either. That mycorrizhal fungi may just go ahead and outlive us all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and DaveC

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm no expert on this subject, but I welcome compelling data. For the sake of balance, it's important to understand there there is a credible "other side" to the climate issue supported by very respected scientists.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy and ddk

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'm no expert on this subject, but I welcome compelling data. For the sake of balance, it's important to understand there there is a credible "other side" to the climate issue supported by very respected scientists.

Ivar Giaever is a physicist and not a climate scientist. Giaever is currently a science adviser with American conservative and libertarian think tank The Heartland Institute. Not only is not educated in the science of climate change, he is a paid adviser for a think that is opposed to it.

Reactions: Al M. and NorthStar

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Don't blame China or India. See below:

The latest guidance on Climate Change from global expert scientists is that the entire planet must reduce CO2 emissions by 7-8% each year for the next decade in order to avoid the so-called “tipping-point”. The result of inaction will result in mass extinction of species, severe reductions in livable and farmable lands due to extreme temperatures, severe water shortages, worldwide famine, repeated flooding and wildfire events and the ocean encroaching on much of the nation’s housing and cities.

When I ask people about Climate Change, the typical response I get is “China is the biggest problem and until China makes big changes, it doesn’t matter what the US does”. It is true that the total CO2 emissions from China are twice that of the US, but China is taking much more aggressive steps to curb increases in CO2 emissions than the US. China’s response is still inadequate however and the US administration is doing nothing to set a good example or to motivate China to do more. Instead we are doing stupid things like withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accords, failing to create better mileage standards, and allowing methane release and flaring from oil wells. The US is still the second biggest CO2 emitter. We should be the ones taking action and providing leadership.

Even though China is the biggest total emitter, the per capita emissions of the US population is more than twice that of the Chinese population. The average person in the US generates about 15 metric tons of CO2 annually and the average Chinese person generates about 7 metric tons of CO2 annually (IEC, IMF). Per capita India emissions are about 1.6 metric tons of CO2 annually. The conclusion is that the individual is the problem in the US.

Because the biggest CO2 source in the US is vehicles, not power plants, not cow belches, this is where the reductions in emissions must happen. Of the 15 metric tons of CO2 generated annually per capita, about half is from personal vehicles, airplanes, commercial and construction vehicles. The other half is from fossil-fuel power plants. A much smaller amount is from heating homes. Of all types of vehicles, personal vehicles account for 50% of the emissions. People in the US must change their driving habits and their vehicles if we are to survive as a species. The automakers must stop offering large gas SUV’s and gas-guzzling trucks.

For a 7% reduction in one year, the US population must completely convert from gas cars to electric cars. All houses must change lightbulbs to LEDs and improve their heating systems. The good news is that even with electric cars being charged from fossil-fuel generated electricity, there will be a significant reduction in CO2 emissions over gas cars because electric cars are so efficient and because of the elimination of oil transport and military support of foreign oil interests. For a 7% reduction the following year, some power plants must be converted and commercial vehicles must be converted.

We must start with the big emitters that have an immediate impact, personal cars. Electric vehicles are not only less polluting, they are much cheaper to operate, about ¼ of the cost of a gas car. About 3 cents a mile to operate in the Northwest for a big Tesla. The convenience cannot be understated. You charge it in your garage for local commuting. No more waiting in gas lines. The Tesla Model 3 starts at $40K, the Mustang Mach-e at $44K and the Telsa CyberTruck at $40K. They will be even more affordable in the future.

This is not an optional change. It MUST happen or the world that we know and enjoy will vanish forever.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's insanity. To my knowledge, the US is the only country in the world where a major political party engages in climate change denialism. I guess that's part of our American exceptionalism (being sarcastic here). And yes, Breitbart and Fox News are pure propaganda indeed. But people, including otherwise intelligent ones, like to be brain-washed, it seems.

+1000

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I am also no expert on this subject, but I welcome advanced discussions from all globe corners.
And also for the sake of balance, it's important to understand that there is scientific evidence counteracted by both ignorance on climate change experts and also on fossil fuels. Building oil pipelines is beneficial for the environment because China is burning more without ...

?https://skepticalscience.com/ivar-giaever-nobel-physicist-climate-pseudoscientist.html

? https://business.financialpost.com/...mate-policies-are-making-emissions-much-worse

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/US-Shale-Producers-Slash-Spending-Once-Again.html

And by burning (warming) the planet with rising fires (Amazon rain forests), and burning coal, and smoke emissions (CO2), the demand for gas is lesser and the gas companies are losing.
If they want to win (make money) they need to freeze the planet...to make it few degrees colder for extended periods of time...good for gas profits, more burning fuel, more rain, more drinkable water (acid) and more snow for our rivers and irrigation and soil less dryer and less susceptible to rage on burning fires from electric wires fallen by high winds and from non-maintenance and unbudgeted forest management ... the big irany ... tirany ... irony ...tiffany victoria secrets ...
(I'm mixing humor and satire with realty/reality check-in).

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-...as-Prices-Crash-On-Warm-Weather-Warnings.html

We are open for business, make Earth great again ...

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-O...s-Exports-To-Worlds-Leading-Oil-Importer.html

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I am also no expert on this subject, but I welcome advanced discussions from all globe corners.
And also for the sake of balance, it's important to understand that there is scientific evidence counteracted by both ignorance on climate change experts and also on fossil fuels. Building oil pipelines is beneficial for the environment because China is burning more without ...

?https://skepticalscience.com/ivar-giaever-nobel-physicist-climate-pseudoscientist.html

? https://business.financialpost.com/...mate-policies-are-making-emissions-much-worse

Very good information. Thoughtful article for me to consider (the first one). The second was more of a political diatribe with little compelling data. But I appreciate the dialog.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Can someone tell us when we all die from this? The number of “years left” keeps on changing.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
http://www.cbc.ca/1.4395767

"But what sometimes people miss … they miss what's happening in the middle," Crist said. "Which from an ecological perspective of the planet is the most significant event: the rapid rise of the global middle class, which is now more than three billion people in the world and it's expected, by 2050 or so, to rise to five billion people."

Agreed. Chasing unbounded GDP growth is killing the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing