Reno Hi-Fi took all prices on Pass products off their website?????

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Dave C you’re awesome. You apologize for insulting Peter and then re-insult him. Please don’t leave the forum again; I love your anger, jealously and irrational rantings.

2018 is going to be HUGELY successful for you, I just know it. Covfefe!!!

LOL!

I am just waiting for Peter's response, given Don's all wrong assumptions.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al you know that Peter will give some unbelievably thoughtful and classy response. Yawn.....

I know.

He probably will do so, and I'll throw some more pepper in afterwards if needed ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Last time I looked at a map there was no city named "Greater Boston", you eastern snob Al M.

Hehe, before calling me a snob you might want to work on your ignorance, Don:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Boston

I have no desire to visit Boston and meet Peter, Mad Floyd, or Al M.

Indeed, if you visit Boston proper you won't find us there. Never mind. If you are ready to travel a bit outside, I'll be happy to have you over to listen to my system.

Enjoy your delusions, all you folks on What's Best Forum.

Happy to do so, my friend.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Peter A

I am sorry for calling you an idiot. It was out of line.

However I do feel that you have limited experience with alternative types of less than super expensive equipment. You need to get out, and hear many more properly setup systems.

Have you any listening experience with tall panel speakers (electrostatic or magneplanar) in a home? You never discuss the sound field in your home. Does your soundstage extend beyond the walls?

You never seem discuss "projection" of sound toward the listener, in front of the speakers, or 3D imaging of vocals.

You turn our nose up at the recording quality of non classical music, as if you never listened to what most Americans did when you were young. You must have had a "sheltered" life.

You have an elitist view of audio, and have the common "group think" so prevalent on this site. "All super expensive equipment is the best! Period!"

That view is grossly unrealistic, and held by the many "inexperienced rich" on this site.

Enjoy your "midgets suspended in air" from tiny box speakers on stands.

I gave up on boxes decades ago, like I gave up on MM cartridges, when I went to MC.

2" Magico dome tweeters do not beat 5 foot long Magnepan ribbons EVER!

Last time I looked at a map there was no city named "Greater Boston", you eastern snob Al M.

LOL. Nothing like starting the New Year on the wrong foot. Do you plan on running for President?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Nothing like starting the New Year on the wrong foot. Do you plan on running for President?

LOL!

We all love our President, don't we? ;)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Don C you’re awesome. You apologize for insulting Peter and then re-insult him. Please don’t leave the forum again; I love your anger, jealously and irrational rantings.

2018 is going to be HUGELY successful for you, I just know it. Covfefe!!!

I've read irrational rants disguised in pleasantries from many on this site from folks that are coveted; they can say no wrong. It's often directly related to system cost. Also, there's some logic in much of what he states...

Happy New Year all! :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Also, there's some logic in much of what he states...

Except that he's got the facts wrong about Peter. But perhaps for a third of this country alternative facts suffice in this day and age. Covfefe! ;) Reminds me of Putin's Russia, only that probably there the percentage is even higher.

Happy New Year all! :)

Happy 2018!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Peter A

However I do feel that you have limited experience with alternative types of less than super expensive equipment. You need to get out, and hear many more properly setup systems.

Have you any listening experience with tall panel speakers (electrostatic or magneplanar) in a home? You never discuss the sound field in your home. Does your soundstage extend beyond the walls?

You never seem discuss "projection" of sound toward the listener, in front of the speakers, or 3D imaging of vocals.

You turn our nose up at the recording quality of non classical music, as if you never listened to what most Americans did when you were young. You must have had a "sheltered" life.

You have an elitist view of audio, and have the common "group think" so prevalent on this site. "All super expensive equipment is the best! Period!"

That view is grossly unrealistic, and held by the many "inexperienced rich" on this site.

I gave up on boxes decades ago, like I gave up on MM cartridges, when I went to MC.

2" Magico dome tweeters do not beat 5 foot long Magnepan ribbons EVER! I have never heard "magic" in Magic speakers IMO.

bad hair day Donny boy ? I thought you left weeks ago ? admit it, you love it !!

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
They were replaced with "call for price"..........Strange.

Where can we find the list price of Pass products on the web now?

I guess we now have to call, "and barter", on used, demo, and new products.

Steve Rabitz of Sound Insight High End Audio in Massapequa NY is an authorized Pass Labs dealer. searay328@msn.com
While he has no online pricing, he is more than happy to provide you with any info regarding Pass products.
Greg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter A

2" Magico dome tweeters do not beat 5 foot long Magnepan ribbons EVER! I have never heard "magic" in Magic speakers IMO.

Dear Don,

Welcome back to WBF. I am sorry that you will not be visiting me or some of my audio friends in the Boston area. Our respective systems vary by quite a bit, in approach, in sound and in cost. Just two days ago, Al M. and I had the pleasure of visiting Ack and hearing his system again. He has large panel speakers from Martin Logan. They are in a home setting, and I think they are pretty well set up. They are about as tall as I am. I have heard his panels a few times now and I have heard other panels at shows with my own music.

Ack, Al, and I discussed the fact that for the last few years we have actually not bought new gear, but instead we have focused on improving the sounds of our systems by modifying our existing gear and paying particular attention to set up, room acoustics, adjustments, and various low cost tweaks. In each of our cases, sound indeed improved and we spend very little money. We all three enjoy this aspect of the hobby.

Some of the systems I hear regularly have small two way monitor speakers, some have full range cone speakers, one has the ML panels. Some have tape, others vinyl and digital. Unfortunately, I have only heard three horn based systems in my life. I agree that my experience is limited, and I would like to travel more to hear other people’s systems.

I grew up in a small industrial and farming town in Illinois. I went to rock concerts and bought records like all of the other kids. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin were my favorites, but I also liked Ronnie Montrose, Cheap Trick, Queen, KISS and many others. My parents drove me into Chicago to hear the symphony. I did not particularly like classical music at the time.

I lived in New York City during my 20s and listened to a lot of jazz at clubs and met some musicians. I tried to learn to play the clarinet but failed miserably. Next week I will go to Vienna to listen to midday rehearsals and evening performances at the Wiener Staatsoper and Musikverein. I still love my Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, though.

Though my experience is limited, I have written quite a lot about live music and audio and shared my thoughts about sound, imaging, and staging. The origin of the sound and its location is distinct from the sound as it is projected into the listening space. You can look up various WBF threads I started on the subject. They are called:

How Real Does it Sound?

Do Members use Live Music as a Reference?

Sweating the Small Stuff for Big Returns.

You can also read about my views on gear and sound in my system thread: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12853-Sublime-Sound

Given all of that and the fact that this is a thread about an audio dealer, you may be interested in reading about my latest experience with Reno HiFi here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?24398-Pass-Labs-XP-22/page5 In that thread is a review I wrote about how two Pass preamps sound different in my system. You can read about the music I used to evaluate those differences and the methods I used to test the gear. MadFloyd and Al M. joined me for some of the listening.

I just decided to trade in my eight year old Pass preamplifier for a new model, in the middle of their range. I discussed the decision with Mark and then placed the order. Mark gave me a very generous trade in allowance for my old preamp toward the new model. He also extended the in home audition period so that I could be really sure before I made the purchase decision. I can not write or say enough about how good the service and communication are at Reno HiFi, and I strongly recommend that you contact them if you are at all interested in learning more about the company or any of the Pass products.

I watched a vey entertaining movie with my two daughters the other night. One of the characters speaks a particular line which I repeated to them in the hopes that they will remember it and perhaps be guided by it in their future. I hope to raise them, as my parents raised me, to be considerate and polite to all people, and not to judge others before knowing more about them. That wonderful quote in the movie is: Manners Maketh Man.

Don, I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year’s Day and a happy future with all things audio.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Great post, Peter.

I should add that Peter also likes my system, which features a $ 2K CD transport, a DAC of 2300 bucks, a passive buffered preamp of a thousand bucks, and speakers of $ 3K.

Hardly super expensive equipment. So you are dead wrong my friend. But perhaps you want to keep clinging to 'alternative facts'. Covfefe all the way! ;)

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Great post, Peter.

I should add that Peter also likes my system, which features a $ 2K CD transport, a DAC of 2300 bucks, a passive buffered preamp of a thousand bucks, and speakers of $ 3K.

Hardly super expensive equipment. So you are dead wrong my friend. But perhaps you want to keep clinging to 'alternative facts'. Covfefe all the way! ;)

Is Mad Floyd's choice of absurdly priced equipment out of line with most members of this site???

Are you crazy for using one subwoofer aimed at the rear, wall away from the listener?

Is Peter crazy for buying used $15k cartridges that are probably past their time, and thinking they sound like new?

I would never, ever buy used cartridges. At even a cheap price.

Am I crazy because I love the "presentation" of 6 foot Magnepan's that I have heard every night since 1977? That you and peter have never heard.

Neither of you know me at all! Yet you equate me with Trump and give insults also.

Why would I visit you both, when I know what both your systems sound like? And after we have traded insults.

I have heard Magico's, and they suck a little less, than most all box speakers.

To each their own.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Is Mad Floyd's choice of absurdly priced equipment out of line with most members of this site???

Are you crazy for using one subwoofer aimed at the rear, wall away from the listener?

Is Peter crazy for buying used $15k cartridges that are probably past their time, and thinking they sound like new?

Am I crazy because I love the "presentation" of 6 foot Magnepan's that I have heard every night since 1977? That you and peter have never heard.

Neither of you know me at all! Yet you equate me with Trump and give insults also.

Why would I visit you both, when I know what both your systems sound like? And after we have traded insults.

To each their own.

Live and let live. Why the anger and hostility? Jealous?

I have to admit though that sometimes I think this site should be called the "What's Most Expensive Forum". :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

To each their own.

Hi Don,

I don't recall where I insulted you. Could you please be more specific? I am sorry that you feel that way. Regarding the cartridges, I do not know what gave you that impression about them being past their prime or me thinking they sound like new. I did buy both of mine used from a dear friend whom I trust. Each cartridge had less than 20 hours on it. I can not say if they sound different from a new one or not. That would be very difficult to test. They were checked out by dealers and seemed to be in excellent condition. He also gave me complete return privileges, so there was no risk on my part. The AirTight Supreme now has 157 hours on it, and the MSL Sig. Gold has 352.33 hours on it. My friend tried these in his system briefly with the same arm and turntable that I have before he sold them to me. He has eleven (11) different Lyra cartridges, so he decided to pass along his none Lyra brand samples to me and only focus on Lyra. I am glad he did, as they are excellent cartridges.

Many years ago, I also bought a used AirTight PC-1 from a guy who was upgrading to the Supreme. An independent source and acquaintance vouched for the seller and introduced us. I also had no problems with that one. Buying used cartridges is fine if the seller is trustworthy. I do not know why people buy cartridges and sell them after such a short while, but I have benefitted from these decisions, so that is fine with me.

I agree that my system has some expensive components, but I usually bought them at very good prices, and I have kept them for a long time. Perhaps not as long as 1977. I had a Dual, AR, Technics system back then at age fifteen. The invitation to visit Boston and hear my system still stands. I can't say if my speakers sound much like your Magnepans, but you may be surprised at how open, big and clean my Magico Mini IIs sound. The NE winter is long and cold. I would enjoy a new audio visitor.

Peter

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Live and let live. Why the anger and hostility? Jealous?

I have to admit though that sometimes I think this site should be called the "What's Most Expensive Forum". :)

Bud, I think AudioShark and Audionirvana have some pretty expensive systems too, as well as some overlap with members here. I think we tend to focus on some of the more active posters who do seem to have some expensive gear and great rooms, but there are some fairly modest priced systems here also. Well, modest by some standards, outrageously expensive by others. It is all so relative.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

To each their own.

That's too funny :D. Perhaps you better inform yourself next time before you write. Would have worked better with your attack on my specified location as "Greater Boston" too. Ten seconds of googling can work wonders, you know.

My subwoofer is downward firing, thus not aimed at the rear wall away from the listener. It is in a position close to the wall, as it is often recommended by subwoofer manufacturers themselves.

Nevermind, I will soon have two JL Audio Fathom 112v2 subs in my room, and they are front firing. And those woofers will certainly be pointed towards the listener :D.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing