Reno Hi-Fi took all prices on Pass products off their website?????

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
They were replaced with "call for price"..........Strange.

Where can we find the list price of Pass products on the web now?

I guess we now have to call, "and barter", on used, demo, and new products.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
They were replaced with "call for price"..........Strange.

Where can we find the list price of Pass products on the web now?

I guess we now have to call, "and barter", on used, demo, and new products.

Don, My local audio dealer and Magico don't publish prices on their websites either. Is Reno HiFi's practice unusual? I know they used to publish prices on their website, but perhaps they are now just following standard practice. I have bought many products from Reno and I usually send an email asking for pricing before I decide to call to discuss a purchase or trade in. I think that by not publishing prices it may encourage more interaction and contact but it does make it difficult to quickly compare prices while surfing the web.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
It is nice to look on their site to see used and demo prices, and what is available at a glance.

My local dealer's website shows used, demo, and sale items, with prices.

That is standard practice on most all websites that sell direct, but not manufacturers.

Keeps the customer informed on sales, and moves used product...etc. I do not remember the prices of every Pass product.

The site says call not Email. Email is slow to respond.

It also ties up their phone lines IMO. Reno Hi-Fi is an internet sales company. I want to know demo, used, or sale prices before a call or Email.

I wonder what the other Pass dealers think of the "Open Box Demo" discount monopoly Reno has? Why buy Pass products in the US from other than Reno Hi-Fi?

Discounts, no tax, and free shipping kills every other Pass dealer.

You do know Mark is the brother of the Pass Labs president.

Do not think of dealers or manufactures as your friends. It is all a business deal.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What's your beef with Reno Hifi? Marketing of high end audio has been changing for quite a while now. Everyone is trying to find out what works best for them. Some are selling direct on forums. Others like Spectral and Magico use traditional dealerships. Frankly, I'm surprised that more companies are not trying to copy Reno's successful approach to selling gear. Mark is a great guy. He knows the equipment and has a lot of experience. He answers emails and phone calls, and he is willing to give great advice. His customer service is superb. Home demos are low risk and convenient. Prices are fair. I think Reno has a good business model.

There seem to be fewer and fewer actual dealers of expensive audio gear. And some customers at the ultra high end simply go to the manufacturer to audition. Then, the closest dealer handles the transaction, installation and service. I heard AJ Conti's latest tables and arms in his shop and compared Transparent cables directly to each other at the factory's R & D listening room.

I don't know the numbers behind various dealers' businesses, so I will not speculate as to whether or not they are being "killed". I do not know who the current President of Pass Labs is. I do know that Mark's father sadly died a couple of years ago and he was involved with the company.

Often there is a fine line between friendships and business deals. I'm sure many members here consider some dealers and manufacturers to be friends. I consider the head of sales at Goodwins High End to be my friend, even though I have not bought anything from him. I know that Ron Resnick considered A.J. Conti his friend. And I am sure that Steve Williams considers many of the customers of his Center Stage footers to be his closest friends. It is a small industry and hobby and there are many friendships.

I fail to see the point of your post.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Reno HiFi has had a policy of not selling new products to anyone living within 100 miles of an authorized Pass Labs dealer; has that changed?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
When you have to call...you are most likely a real buyer (prospect) vs a tire kicker (waste of seller's time). Perhaps this is a NEW Pass Labs policy ?

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
What's your beef with Reno Hifi? Marketing of high end audio has been changing for quite a while now. Everyone is trying to find out what works best for them. Some are selling direct on forums. Others like Spectral and Magico use traditional dealerships. Frankly, I'm surprised that more companies are not trying to copy Reno's successful approach to selling gear. Mark is a great guy. He knows the equipment and has a lot of experience. He answers emails and phone calls, and he is willing to give great advice. His customer service is superb. Home demos are low risk and convenient. Prices are fair. I think Reno has a good business model.

There seem to be fewer and fewer actual dealers of expensive audio gear. And some customers at the ultra high end simply go to the manufacturer to audition. Then, the closest dealer handles the transaction, installation and service. I heard AJ Conti's latest tables and arms in his shop and compared Transparent cables directly to each other at the factory's R & D listening room.

I don't know the numbers behind various dealers' businesses, so I will not speculate as to whether or not they are being "killed". I do not know who the current President of Pass Labs is. I do know that Mark's father sadly died a couple of years ago and he was involved with the company.

Often there is a fine line between friendships and business deals. I'm sure many members here consider some dealers and manufacturers to be friends. I consider the head of sales at Goodwins High End to be my friend, even though I have not bought anything from him. I know that Ron Resnick considered A.J. Conti his friend. And I am sure that Steve Williams considers many of the customers of his Center Stage footers to be his closest friends. It is a small industry and hobby and there are many friendships.

I fail to see the point of your post.

I just thought removing the prices after years was strange. I like Reno Hi-Fi, but they, like Nelson Pass are not gods.

Look at the stupid blue meters that can not be shut off and look like blue headlights in the dark.

Those meters just sell upgrades if you believe that if a slight movement wrecks the sound quality. A slight movement is not audible per Nelson and Pass Labs service.

I fail to see the logic of you also Peter.

Vibraplanes under amps, 3 $15K cartridges, absolute love of SME arms (a couple inches longer than the identical 1987 V), super expensive BS cables, and undue praise for a small 2 way box speaker.

Edited for violation of WBF TOS.

I am out of this site and all other audiophile forums. Way to many nut cases for the rational person.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Look at the stupid blue meters that can not be shut off and look like blue headlights in the dark.

While they aren't stupid, I have covered my meters since day 1 over three years ago.

Pass.jpg

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
You are one very rich delusional idiot, like most on this site.

I am out of this site and all other audiophile forums. Way to many nut cases for the rational person.

Wow. Bye.

Mark has always been more than fair with me over the years, and has some of the best customer service ever. I'd suggest that if someone has questions about why he's doing or not doing something there is a very simple solution. Give him a call rather than speculating or expecting the folks here to figure it out for you.

My 2 cents anyway.

Steve Z

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just thought removing the prices after years was strange. I like Reno Hi-Fi, but they, like Nelson Pass are not gods.

Those meters just sell upgrades if you believe that if a slight movement wrecks the sound quality. A slight movement is not audible per Nelson and Pass Labs service.

Vibraplanes under amps, 3 $15K cartridges, absolute love of SME arms (a couple inches longer than the identical 1987 V), super expensive BS cables, and undue praise for a small 2 way box speaker.

I am sorry to see you leave, Don C. I will miss your candor. I still do not understand your complaints about Reno HiFi and now Pass Labs. If one does not like their products or business practices, he can simply buy different electronics.

Regarding your comments about my system, let me just write this: I paid less than 20% of what you claim to be the cost for these three cartridges. The Vibraplane isolation platforms have proven to be very effective at reducing harmful vibrations from reaching my components. The SME V-12 arm is not simply a three inch longer version of the SME V from 1987, and I use that arm because it came with the turntable and the combination sounds wonderful in my system. I paid less than half retail for the SME V-12A which was a 50th birthday present to myself. As for the cables and speakers, they were also bought used or at a heavy discount after I had done sufficient research listening and comparing them to alternatives.

I invite you to Boston to hear my system. You may or may not like it, but I think it will not sound as you suspect. You may also learn that the system was carefully assembled over time and with deliberation and purpose. Please PM me anytime to discuss a possible visit. I am from Rockford, IL., a small city perhaps near where you now live. I learned to sail on Lake Geneva, in Wisconsin. The Midwest is full of nice and friendly people and it was a wonderful and wholesome place in which to grow up.

I suggest a visit next time you find yourself in New England. If you come during the summer, I can take you out for a sail on the beautiful waters of the North Shore of Boston. I can not guarantee that my Boston area audiophile friends will be as welcoming, but if you PM them, they may also invite you into their homes to hear their systems. Those systems are considerably different from mine and they cover a range of costs, so you might feel more comfortable reaching out to one of them. I promise you that we are not rich delusional idiots, or nut cases. That is actually a pretty funny assessment.

I wish you well in your audio forum free future. Sometimes I think I spend entirely too much time on audio forums myself and not enough time chilling out with friends, listening to music and reflecting on how fortunate I am to be listening to such a system powered by Pass electronics from Reno HiFi.

Reactions: rugyboogie

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Wow Don...RAGE much? Nelson Pass is an icon in the hobby with more circuit patents than any other designer. Also, he makes complete circuit designs available to the DIY community. And to call one of the most articulate and classy members of WBF (Peter) and idiot?

Man when you get it wrong, you sure get it wrong.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

You are one very rich delusional idiot, like most on this site.

Hehe, I have heard Peter's system many times, and it sounds very different from what I have to assume you expect. Undue praise, hmmm?

I suggest a visit next time you find yourself in New England. If you come during the summer, I can take you out for a sail on the beautiful waters of the North Shore of Boston. I can not guarantee that my Boston area audiophile friends will be as welcoming, but if you PM them, they may also invite you into their homes to hear their systems. Those systems are considerably different from mine and they cover a range of costs, so you might feel more comfortable reaching out to one of them. I promise you that we are not rich delusional idiots, or nut cases. That is actually a pretty funny assessment.

It is pretty funny indeed. In any case, Don, you are also welcome to listen to my system when you visit the area. I live just 10 minutes from Peter.

Reactions: ngamountains

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am sorry to see you leave, Don C. I will miss your candor. I still do not understand your complaints about Reno HiFi and now Pass Labs. If one does not like their products or business practices, he can simply buy different electronics.

Regarding your comments about my system, let me just write this: I paid less than 20% of what you claim to be the cost for these three cartridges. The Vibraplane isolation platforms have proven to be very effective at reducing harmful vibrations from reaching my components. The SME V-12 arm is not simply a three inch longer version of the SME V from 1987, and I use that arm because it came with the turntable and the combination sounds wonderful in my system. I paid less than half retail for the SME V-12A which was a 50th birthday present to myself. As for the cables and speakers, they were also bought used or at a heavy discount after I had done sufficient research listening and comparing them to alternatives.

I invite you to Boston to hear my system. You may or may not like it, but I think it will not sound as you suspect. You may also learn that the system was carefully assembled over time and with deliberation and purpose. Please PM me anytime to discuss a possible visit. I am from Rockford, IL., a small city perhaps near where you now live. I learned to sail on Lake Geneva, in Wisconsin. The Midwest is full of nice and friendly people and it was a wonderful and wholesome place in which to grow up.

I wish you well in your audio forum free future. Sometimes I think I spend entirely too much time on audio forums myself and not enough time chilling out with friends, listening to music and reflecting on how fortunate I am to be listening to such a system powered by Pass electronics from Reno HiFi.

Thank you, Peter, for your extremely gracious and dignified response to a completely unwarranted and ill-informed rant.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Thank you, Peter, for your extremely gracious and dignified response to a completely unwarranted and ill-informed rant.

+1 ...i could not have mustered the time nor energy to reply with such manners. well done Peter.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing