Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reno Hi-Fi took all prices on Pass products off their website?????

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I can not speak for the other members who posted in this thread, but I think a portion of the them felt insulted and reacted in response to his comments. I suppose that near unanimity can be viewed as a gang action, but I honestly think that misconstrues the situation.
    I think so too.

Don was clearly not happy being a part of this forum and decided to leave the forum.
    It seems unclear at this point if this thread caused Don to leave the forum, or if he had planned to do it anyway and just was looking for 'the final straw'. His responses appeared to express long-held opinions and griefs.

I apologize for the tone of my posts to Don, and the attitude with which I expressed by frustration. Perhaps I spend too much time discussing things on audio forums and not enough time listening to music and enjoying my gear.
    You have nothing to apologize for, Peter. As others pointed out, your responses were admirably restrained, classy and dignified in the face of naked, cheap insult.

BTW, I don't understand either why Reno Hi-Fi took down all the prices from their website. Mark may have his reasons, such as the one Christian suggested:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post480124

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    BTW, I don't understand either why Reno Hi-Fi took down all the prices from their website. Mark may have his reasons, such as the one Christian suggested:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post480124
    Al, I contacted Mark at Reno HiFi and asked him this very question, the subject of the thread. Christian had the answer, more or less, all along. Here is Marks response to me:

"Happy Thanksgiving Weekend Peter!

Itís always nice to hear from you and Iím happy to help with anything I can.

You have my permission to let the world know that that the reason I removed the prices from our website is that we want our clients and prospective clients to engage with us more. As I wrote on the website a long time ago ďReno Hi Fi is not a vending machine;Ē we want to help people get the amp that is really what they want for their application and tastes; and with a two-way discussion, I can better help audiophiles to this end."

Mark's communication is excellent and he is always willing to answer questions about Pass products. As I suspected, he is quite busy in his new facility. The website is being redesigned and will be updated. Pass has just released the new XP12 and XP22 preamps and the XP17 phono with the XP27 phono coming soon. I think these have some of the trickle down technology from the XS series. Exciting times for Pass fans.

I guess this answers Don's original question, though it does not address some of his other complaints. If he still has concerns, they may be best answered by Mark directly at Reno HiFi. Contact information is on the Reno HiFi website. He can also contact Pass Labs directly with technical questions. They are also very willing to talk on the phone or answer emails. As I wrote earlier, customer service is excellent with both companies.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! BlueFox's Avatar
    Pass has just released the new XP12 and XP22 preamps and the XP17 phono with the XP27 phono coming soon. I think these have some of the trickle down technology from the XS series. Exciting times for Pass fans.
    Maybe the XP22 might be worth investigating, especially if it is two chassis and will also use the DB-25 umbilical cord. Havenít bought anything major since the S5s in February.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Al, I contacted Mark at Reno HiFi and asked him this very question, the subject of the thread. Christian had the answer, more or less, all along. Here is Marks response to me:

"Happy Thanksgiving Weekend Peter!

Itís always nice to hear from you and Iím happy to help with anything I can.

You have my permission to let the world know that that the reason I removed the prices from our website is that we want our clients and prospective clients to engage with us more. As I wrote on the website a long time ago ďReno Hi Fi is not a vending machine;Ē we want to help people get the amp that is really what they want for their application and tastes; and with a two-way discussion, I can better help audiophiles to this end."

Mark's communication is excellent and he is always willing to answer questions about Pass products. As I suspected, he is quite busy in his new facility. The website is being redesigned and will be updated. Pass has just released the new XP12 and XP22 preamps and the XP17 phono with the XP27 phono coming soon. I think these have some of the trickle down technology from the XS series. Exciting times for Pass fans.

I guess this answers Don's original question, though it does not address some of his other complaints. If he still has concerns, they may be best answered by Mark directly at Reno HiFi. Contact information is on the Reno HiFi website. He can also contact Pass Labs directly with technical questions. They are also very willing to talk on the phone or answer emails. As I wrote earlier, customer service is excellent with both companies.
    Thanks, Peter, for the info. When I was ready to buy my Pass B1 buffered passive preamp, the price was still on the website. But I called Mark anyway because I had a few questions, which he answered in a fully satisfactory and indeed very friendly manner. He continued to be friendly throughout the entire transaction; it was very pleasant to do business with him. Plus, I am extremely happy with the Pass preramp.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/a/10853/Pass_Labs

Looks like I see some prices listed. Problem solved.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/a/10853/Pass_Labs

Looks like I see some prices listed. Problem solved.
    Thanks Joe from posting this link. I did not know that acoustic sounds sells Pass gear. I wonder how they could compete with Reno HiFi given inventory, used/demo options, and Mark's incredible knowledge of the products.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

I think for the most part, Reno has the upper hand. I don’t believe Acoustic Sounds or others have much of a chance but I suspect things are slowly changing. I believe Mark does have great product knowledge being that’s his only line. He can offer a guide but only trying an actual piece in your system will reveal its true nature. Even though the amps are of similar basic design, I am positive each has its own sound signature.

Thanks Joe from posting this link. I did not know that acoustic sounds sells Pass gear. I wonder how they could compete with Reno HiFi given inventory, used/demo options, and Mark's incredible knowledge of the products.
    Joe

Peter A

I am sorry for calling you an idiot. It was out of line.

However I do feel that you have limited experience with alternative types of less than super expensive equipment. You need to get out, and hear many more properly setup systems.

Have you any listening experience with tall panel speakers (electrostatic or magneplanar) in a home? You never discuss the sound field in your home. Does your soundstage extend beyond the walls?

You never seem discuss "projection" of sound toward the listener, in front of the speakers, or 3D imaging of vocals.

You turn our nose up at the recording quality of non classical music, as if you never listened to what most Americans did when you were young. You must have had a "sheltered" life.

You have an elitist view of audio, and have the common "group think" so prevalent on this site. "All super expensive equipment is the best! Period!"

That view is grossly unrealistic, and held by the many "inexperienced rich" on this site.

Enjoy your "midgets suspended in air" from tiny box speakers on stands.

I gave up on boxes decades ago, like I gave up on MM cartridges, when I went to MC.

2" Magico dome tweeters do not beat 5 foot long Magnepan ribbons EVER! I have never heard "magic" in Magic speakers IMO.

Last time I looked at a map there was no city named "Greater Boston", you eastern snob Al M.

I have no desire to visit Boston and meet Peter, Mad Floyd, or Al M.

Enjoy your delusions, all you folks on What's Best Forum.
    Last edited by Don C; 12-31-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Don C you’re awesome. You apologize for insulting Peter and then re-insult him. Please don’t leave the forum again; I love your anger, jealously and irrational rantings.

2018 is going to be HUGELY successful for you, I just know it. Covfefe!!!
    Last edited by jeffrey_t; 12-31-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast