Basement listening room. Best type of ceiling ?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Keep in mind that materials that keep sound INSIDE the room do not necessariiy affect the frequency response characteristics when listening to music.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
^^^Thanks for the good advice. There has been a change of plans....system going in the first floor great room. No renovation needed. :D

Good Move!

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
agreed. i’m struggling with the same issue. low frequency issues are making my life difficult. i’m trying to make a 7.5 ceiling work. ultimately, going to have to move my new listening room.

Nyal At Acoustic Frontiers designed my basement room. In ceiling he did 12 inches of Roxul insulation, a layer of mass loaded vinyl then two layers of quietrock with green glue floating on these KNC hangers. Noise floor is very low (no external noise from outside room) and bass is tight. You might want to give him a call.

View attachment KNC Wave Hanger Layout.pdf

Roxul behind floating clips.jpg

Last edited:

germanchu

Oct 27, 2015
Fantastic, mi learning a lot cause im going ti built somethin like this.
I hope moré photo, please!!

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
In this order:
1. Rockwool between the joists
2. resilient bars to the joists
3. sound panel plasterboards
4. . glue acoustic membrane
5. Soundshield plasterboard 12.5mm
6. Plaster

7. Acoustic treatment as you see fit

That's what I am getting done at present in my loft - my suppliers tell me that this is what would be used in basements too.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
my basement listening room is about 18x 26x 7'6" tall after furring the ceiling with 2"x2" to bury the conduit 5/8 sheetrock then 12"x12" acoustical tiles stapled to the ceiling. While the room isn't sound proof I can crank it up pretty good b4 family notices and the ceiling tiles really helped soften a previously harsh sounding room because of the low ceiling.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
my basement listening room is about 18x 26x 7'6" tall after furring the ceiling with 2"x2" to bury the conduit 5/8 sheetrock then 12"x12" acoustical tiles stapled to the ceiling. While the room isn't sound proof I can crank it up pretty good b4 family notices and the ceiling tiles really helped soften a previously harsh sounding room because of the low ceiling.
The funny thing about acoustic tiles in my experience is that they still work when covered up with drywall.

What I mean is, after drilling a few holes in my basement ceiling I suspect an non-tee grid acoustic ceiling tile was secured directly to the underside of the ceiling joists (glued?).

Then years later in a remodel drywall was added over the top.

This is the only way I have come to explain what I consider pretty good room performance, better performance than I had in my old house consisting of wood lath and hand plaster walls/ceiling on the main level.

Sure too many other variables to list such as a concrete floor now verses sprung wood floor back then, but the current dampening properties over the old ringing properties cannot be denied.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
my basement 7.5 feet high. soft gypsum plaster applied unevenly with a trowel, time-consuming work. reverberation time is good from 150hz to 20khz 0.45 absorbs well.
20210206_234351.jpg 20210206_234320.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Yes. to keep reflections low. for exsampe in a recording room try the reverberation time between 0.2-0.3 from 20hz to 20khz you hear only direct sound from the speaker. For Music at home a lot of dry sounds liveless my opinion.
please i know this is not a correct measurement, a quick and dirty to see that it works. dayton mic measured in a Samsung tablet with the Audiotool app.
The microphon dosen't work under 150hz korrect. Screenshot_20210207-000846_AudioTool.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing