Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basement listening room. Best type of ceiling ?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    ^^^Thanks for the good advice. There has been a change of plans....system going in the first floor great room. No renovation needed.
    Christian

System Gear

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor] GaryProtein's Avatar
    Keep in mind that materials that keep sound INSIDE the room do not necessariiy affect the frequency response characteristics when listening to music.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MCD500, MR78, MPI4, MC602 (2), Accuphase DG58, Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, boarded up fireplace, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, MEN220, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-Ruby, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2)

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    ^^^Thanks for the good advice. There has been a change of plans....system going in the first floor great room. No renovation needed.
    Good Move!
    Source: Brinkmann La Grange + RonT, Brinkmann 12.1, Kuzma 4 Point, Koetsu RSP, Lyra Atlas, GFS, Lyra Etna SL
    Front-End: Aesthetix Io Signature with Volume Controls + 2 Power Supplies, Marantz 1 Consolettes , 7C
    Amplifier(s): Custom Direct Drive OTL for Beveridge ESL, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3, Marantz 2,5,8B
    Speakers: Beveridge Model 3, Quad ESL , Quad USA Monitors
    Subwoofers: REL S2 x 2
    Room: 18 'x 40' X9'
    Stand(s):Double-wide Finite Elemente Pagode
    Dedicated Lines x4

Quote Originally Posted by slcaudiophile View Post
    agreed. i’m struggling with the same issue. low frequency issues are making my life difficult. i’m trying to make a 7.5 ceiling work. ultimately, going to have to move my new listening room.
    Nyal At Acoustic Frontiers designed my basement room. In ceiling he did 12 inches of Roxul insulation, a layer of mass loaded vinyl then two layers of quietrock with green glue floating on these KNC hangers. Noise floor is very low (no external noise from outside room) and bass is tight. You might want to give him a call.

KNC Wave Hanger Layout.pdf

Name:  Roxul behind floating clips.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  325.5 KB
    Last edited by Pb Blimp; 01-12-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Fantastic, mi learning a lot cause im going ti built somethin like this.
    I hope mor photo, please!!

In this order:
    1. Rockwool between the joists
    2. resilient bars to the joists
    3. sound panel plasterboards
    4. . glue acoustic membrane
    5. Soundshield plasterboard 12.5mm
    6. Plaster

7. Acoustic treatment as you see fit

That's what I am getting done at present in my loft - my suppliers tell me that this is what would be used in basements too.

my basement listening room is about 18x 26x 7'6" tall after furring the ceiling with 2"x2" to bury the conduit 5/8 sheetrock then 12"x12" acoustical tiles stapled to the ceiling. While the room isn't sound proof I can crank it up pretty good b4 family notices and the ceiling tiles really helped soften a previously harsh sounding room because of the low ceiling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123