Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basement listening room. Best type of ceiling ?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by mullard88 View Post
    How about just building a room inside the basement (a room inside a room) since there is a lot of space in every direction?
    Neil Sinclair( Ex Theta) built his LA Listening and Drum room this way.

BruceD

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceD View Post
    Neil Sinclair( Ex Theta) built his LA Listening and Drum room this way.

BruceD
    Its possible. Is the current foot print too large ? 19x28. I plan to store the many racks of LPs and tape in there.
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    It’s possible. Is the current foot print too large ? 19x28. I plan to store the many racks of LP’s and tape in there.
    It’s only average size for your speakers Chris, retain every inch. I’ve spent time in room within room mastering studios, some quite elaborate with decoupled walls, ceiling and floor and I really hated them but was exactly what the mastering engineer wanted. Just walking into a couple really dead ones was physically disorienting.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

I would want to keep the 9.5 ceiling, or as much height as possible. Room volume seems to be a major factor in SQ.
    I think that it is a much much easier problem to deal with if you have too big a room vs. too small a room.
    The small room, like the one I listen to, is a serious challenge to any aphile...
    Give me too big a room any day.

I would keep the drop in panels and just stuff the cavity with insulation .. the only problem with a dropped tile ceiling is that the individual panels can cause buzzes etc , easy enough to fix using some mastic or blutak ... depends on how loud you play...
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . Trinnov ST2 room correction...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    It’s only average size for your speakers Chris, retain every inch. I’ve spent time in room within room mastering studios, some quite elaborate with decoupled walls, ceiling and floor and I really hated them but was exactly what the mastering engineer wanted.
    This is what my 2 room are.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    This is what my 2 room are.
    And you are a mastering engineer! The room and system are a unified analytical tool for engineers to take things apart, balance, add, subtract and come up with a product that's not what the end user needs or frankly can live with. This isn't a knock against the engineer or anything just a fact about the difference in approach to music, the consumer has mostly passive involvement while the recording artist & engineer have a deliberate active approach to music.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Wow great size, congrats.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

agreed. im struggling with the same issue. low frequency issues are making my life difficult. im trying to make a 7.5 ceiling work. ultimately, going to have to move my new listening room.

I have a room in a basement that is about 18 x 40 x 9' 6"

I built the room within a room as suggested above. I added 2x6 studs around the existing 2x4 - you loose a bit of space- I added commercial rated 5/8 " drywall. My goal was not to sound proof it really did not matter to me. I just wanted a solid space impervious to leakage with reasonable tactics.Reality is if you have a door entering the room, subfloors meeting ceiling joists and mechanicals- you can't have a sound proof outer environment without much work and expense and then you have to ask is it even important based on how you listen and live.

The ceiling is an issue. if you completely drywall it with multilayers it you will loose access to mechanicals and the opportunity to make repairs or modifications that inevitably crop up in home ownership. Moreover, if you have HVAC or pipes running through that ceiling they will transfer sound easily regardless of what you do to mitigate it without a lot of work and it still won't completely get there.

It's a compromise.. do you want a ceiling to come down in a finished basement because you need a plumbing repair? or ... run another wire or vent a new HVAC system? - or do you want to run it through a planned bulk head with access.

I compromised and did both. 90% of the ceiling was dropped with z channel for decoupling and double drywalled- but - I left 2 bulk heads for access with commercial ceiling tile where mechanicals go through and where I could have access.

A completely dead or engineered room is over-rated IMO. I've seen guys spend 100's of thousands and go back an modify the rooms on their own to gain a little life back. Good solid engineering advice is fine- but you may not like the result. Dimensions for standing waves and the biggest space possible is probably most important.

Your contractor can give you advice- good luck
    Source: Brinkmann La Grange + RonT, Brinkmann 12.1, Kuzma 4 Point, Koetsu RSP, Lyra Atlas, GFS, Lyra Etna SL
    Front-End: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with Volume Controls + 2 Power Supplies, Marantz 1 Consolettes , 7C
    Amplifier(s): Custom Direct Drive OTL for Beveridge ESL, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3, Marantz 2,5,8B
    Speakers: Beveridge Model 3, Quad ESL , Quad USA Monitors
    Subwoofers: REL S2 x 2
    Room: 18 'x 40' X9'
    Stand(s):Double-wide Finite Elemente Pagode
    Dedicated Lines x4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast