"Insane" Record Collections

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sheer quantity of Lp’s, no longer impresses me. Last year I visited a local guy who owned slightly over 200,000 records!!
If he owned twenty that I would have been interested in, that would have been a lot......:(
So, these days, when someone has a collection, I am far more interested in quality than quantity.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Quality trumps quantity...

I gave away 2500+ 'junk' records to Goodwill a few years ago, and sold another 1000+ decent dups cheaply to a couple friends; now my 6500-7500 collection with a little room to grow is right sized for me.......and I have more space for my exercise gear upstairs. I like and know the records I have. I would enjoy owning another couple thousand good classical titles for sure, but not just more for more's sake.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Alessandro Benedetti of Monsummano Terme, Italy, holds the Guinness World Record for largest collection of colored vinyl records,

Personally could not think of anything worse. For show, not for play.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Monsummano Terme is a small city with 21.000 resident near Florence
In Monsummano Terme there is since 1960 one of the 3 biggest distributor,Audio Natali,with ARC,Krell;dan D Agostino,Costellation,Magico,Wilson,ML,DCS

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Most of the posts on this thread make me sad. You need to own 3,000 records if you wanted to collect Blue Note, and that's just one label.

Get off of What's Best and back into the record stores gentlemen.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Most of the posts on this thread make me sad. You need to own 3,000 records if you wanted to collect Blue Note, and that's just one label.

Get off of What's Best and back into the record stores gentlemen.

Not trying to be argumentative but with all due respect to the "collectors" and those who own thousands of LP's, how many times, in your lifetime, will you listen to each of those records? :confused:

Best.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Not trying to be argumentative but with all due respect to the "collectors" and those who own thousands of LP's, how many times, in your lifetime, will you listen to each of those records? :confused:

Best.

Hey, where have I heard that question before???
Ah yes, from my wife! Or my entire family! :)

Now seriously, from the outside, it really is inexplicable why people collect. Even I, from time to time, question some of the stuff I've purchased and kept around...

cheers,
alex

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hey, where have I heard that question before???
Ah yes, from my wife! Or my entire family! :)

Now seriously, from the outside, it really is inexplicable why people collect. Even I, from time to time, question some of the stuff I've purchased and kept around...

cheers,
alex

Lol, that’s so true, Alex.

I’m certain that all of us have collections that have some very questionable inhabitants. Just yesterday, I was listening with a fellow a’phile friend and we had his mono copy of the six eye Dave Brubeck Time out on the platter. So, after a little searching, I pulled out one of my copies to see if we could hear a difference, problem is this particular copy was a two eye mono in VG- condition....we both questioned why I owned this particular copy, I had no idea!
Too weird.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi Jeffrey,

So I'm clear, are you saying you have thousands of records and you will listen to each record a thousand times or more in your lifetime:confused:

Best

I'm giving you my stock answer that I give my wife when she asks me how many times I'm going to wear all of the watches I have or use all the cartridges I have or all the cables I have. "Thousands."

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Regarding your "stock" answer and with all due respect, absent what you tell your wife, I assume it's hyperbole and not factually accurate.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We collect because it's human nature...I think. We have been collecting dust since the creation of the first man and woman. Then came the long play along the way, so we started collecting those big music engraved plates too.
Now we have 5D...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing