New package just arrived in the mail today

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just received a new package in the mail today from Germany-a matched pair of NOS Telefunken CCa tubes. They will be going into the line stage of my Counterpoint SA-5.1. I currently have a pair of NOS Mullard E188cc in there (about 2 weeks of use on them) and I am going to move the E188cc tubes over to the phono section. Should be interesting.

Mark

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Just curious Mark about the cost of the tubes. I'm not a tube guy and know absolutely zip about them save a faint recollection of biasing calcs from my formative years in engrg. school.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
$325.00 for the pair on Ebay. NOS CCa Telefunken tubes are rare and reputed to be among the best if not the best of the 6DJ8/6922 tube family.

Mark

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Woohooo! Nice catch mep :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good tubes there, mep. The Tele CCa, some with the mark GABL, are reputed to be the top of the line of the 6922 tube. They should give your system fantastic clarity with good extension of the extremes. The Mullard 188s sound pretty good too, they just round off some edges a bit and gives a tinge of sweetness compared to the Teles. These are premium brands and one can't really go wrong with them. They just have to suit your taste. Happy rolling.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So far I am really happy with the CCa tubes and using the Mullard 188cc tubes in the phono section. It really is a nice improvement from top to bottom.

Mark

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great to hear, Mark. I can imagine.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So far I am really happy with the CCa tubes and using the Mullard 188cc tubes in the phono section. It really is a nice improvement from top to bottom.

Mark

How are the CCas sounding nowadays Mark?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I am very happy with them and my system in general. I stayed up Monday night until 1:00 in the morning because I couldn't tear myself away. I had to leave Tuesday morning for VA Beach (business travel) and I knew I wouldn't get to listen again until I returned home on Friday (today). I am going to post elsewhere on this forum about an experience I just had this week in VA standing 5' away from a drummer playing in a bar.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-I am very happy with them and my system in general. I stayed up Monday night until 1:00 in the morning because I couldn't tear myself away. I had to leave Tuesday morning for VA Beach (business travel) and I knew I wouldn't get to listen again until I returned home on Friday (today). I am going to post elsewhere on this forum about an experience I just had this week in VA standing 5' away from a drummer playing in a bar.

Mark

Now there's if I ever saw one, a definition of audiophile ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-last night was a bad night in tubeville. One of my NOS Telefunken CCa tubes went noisey. It is spitting and sputtering so I had to remove the pair and replace them. Bummer.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-last night was a bad night in tubeville. One of my NOS Telefunken CCa tubes went noisey. It is spitting and sputtering so I had to remove the pair and replace them. Bummer.

Mark

Thats sucks. Do you think it's the tube or could the CP be hard on NOS tubes?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-Nah, it's the tube. The SA-5.1 is easy on tubes. By the way, I thought you were using ML CLS speakers and yet your pictures show one of the hybrid ML speakers. Which ones are you using?

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-Nah, it's the tube. The SA-5.1 is easy on tubes. By the way, I thought you were using ML CLS speakers and yet your pictures show one of the hybrid ML speakers. Which ones are you using?

Mark

I've always been using the ML hybrids...Quest, reQuests, Prodigys and now the Summits. Before that were highly modded MG3As and before that were some modded DQ10s :) Of course have had many other speakers in house over the years including Wilson W/P, Alon, and Vienna Acoustics. (actually had a pair of the Carver Ribbons but UPS destroyed them in shipping and never saw them again.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing