TotalDac D1 Seven

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Iamrael,

I apologize for my role in disturbing the thread.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
besides, I do not care about all that ... how important. that's all and it's nothing.

Whaoouuuu... 16 posts but Iamrael 24, you're too strong !

In fact...the most important for me is that this Totaldac d1-seven (with d1-server + USB Gigafilter) is the best sound, i've never heard, it's not my fault, it's like that and I know it's just my definitive source with everything I sometimes expected without even knowing.

And that does not remove, it seems to me, any of the probable super qualities of others... if you are convinced of your choices and the musical result as me.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hands up I admit to being a Lampi user - it out performed my previous playback MPS-5 when I borrowed one to compare in my system. I have not any experience with the Kassandra or AN Dac 5 - they are outside my price range by a large margin. The Lampi is not cheap but does not have an outlandish price tag like the current "uber" DACs, the Kassandra ref I believe is 3 times the price of the GG and the audio note Dac 5, I think, is in that region also, dcs, msb go up even further.

If you are able to go for these options then naturally you would want to try them, I am sure they are excellent and presumably any prospective purchaser would want to try them in a familiar setting. Which leads me to the the point I wanted to make - whatever piece of equipment is being assessed within a given system, the auxiliary equipment will influence the final sound. Preamps, power amps, speakers will all impart their signature and become part of the final equation. A piece of gear may perform well in one system but not so well in another. For instance different computers and even OS can affect the sound produced, cables can make a difference, room acoustics ad nauseam.

When someone posts that so and so a dac/speaker etc is not for them, another listener could well espouse a dissimilar view of the same unit within their own setup. Hence the endless debate, individuals preferring this or that component over another. Needless to say, if we all liked the same type of sound, or our systems produced music that was indistinguishable from one to another, there would be no debate and all the boutique manufactures who have sprung up this century would go out of business.

btw I have shared some of Keds tube rolling experiments and consequently had my GG moded to take 242 valves to great effect (I am sure his Lampiness is born of enthusiasm - don't think Lukasz could afford his travel expenses anyway lol)
The result is organic and fluid sounding and compares very favourably to my analogue set up which is, if not ultra, at least high caliber.

The Kassandra Ref 2, is priced at € 18,000 in Europe, not three times the GG

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Just got word that TotalDAC is shipping out Reclocker and DAC tomorrow. I will start a new thread when they arrive.
:)

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Congratulations. I have the TotalDAC D1-Twelve system - server, outboard re clocker and the 2 mono dac's. I also have the new USB Gigafilter cable for the D1-server. The sound is superb. I think you will really enjoy the D1-Seven as I don't think Vincent would have released this product unless it really produced a sonic improvement compared to the D1-Six. Enjoy!

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks, Vincent was very easy to work with and was also responsive to all my questions. No bologna. It’s nice to work with someone that knows the basics as well as the details and has nothing to hide. I expect that I will be very happy with this new somewhat unexpected turn in my journey. I ended up getting the new Gigafilter too. I had heard earlier cables from him a while back, and just couldn’t resist based on the pro reviews, but more important the word of mouth recommendations such as your own. The only thing I need to get is an aes/ebu. Any suggestions? I have read nice things about the Transparent Ref Xl, but it’s a little pricey for me now. I know the brand isn’t quite as popular (at least here in USA), but the Tellureum Q has been on my radar, while not cheap, it is 25% of the Ref XL.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
There are several options for the AES/EBU. I recommend using the stock cable for awhile to get a grasp of everything. It is pretty good. In my trials though, using better cables is beneficial for sure. I like the Antipodes Kokiri allot and it is actually quite affordable. Vincent tried many and landed with the Bibacord. I have not tried it yet, but I absolutely trust his recommendation.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It’s not what I intended for it to be but it’s been educational to say the least.

Look on the bright side, at least this thread stays up :rolleyes:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
In fact...the most important for me is that this Totaldac d1-seven (with d1-server + USB Gigafilter) is the best sound, i've never heard, it's not my fault, it's like that and I know it's just my definitive source with everything I sometimes expected without even knowing.

And that does not remove, it seems to me, any of the probable super qualities of others... if you are convinced of your choices and the musical result as me.
Hi BF38,
Is there any sonic advantage in having a separate d1-server comparing to an internal server/streamer option, which as I understand is available for d1-seven?

Thanks.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi BF38,
Is there any sonic advantage in having a separate d1-server comparing to an internal server/streamer option, which as I understand is available for d1-seven?

Thanks.

Good question abeidrov:)
I was also wondering how the d1-seven would perform with an SOTM sMS-200ultra + sPS-500 combo compared to the d1-server.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
This is also an important question for me, as I already have a very good server, optimised for the playback via USB. Also, maybe someone can share, how the Totaldac performs with DSD material and what is the maximum DSD rate d1-seven supports?

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi abeidrov, Thieliste,
the difference is in the presence of a second reclocker in the d1-server, in addition to the one present at the entrance of all DACs Totaldac and that means, even more harmonic gradients, finesse general in restitution and "dynamic softness"

Now the one-box version is also very powerful! but sorry, I can not tell you anything about how good it is to your sSOTM set.
and there are so many good solutions now, I choosed coherence.

And concerning the DSD, I have this option that allows me to read in max quality these formats but for me, there are very few issues and it is probably even, in many cases, the tree that hides the drill.Nothing replaces the best PCM conversion even if some manufacturers would like it. the multiplication audio formats is, in my opinion, just the powder in the eyes to forget the essential... music !

sorry for my english which has to reach probably sometimes limits!

Be well

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
After emailing with Vincent my take was that the jump in performance is very substantial with the external server, but mostly because of the reclocking that it provides. That being said the 'server' is a two in one affair. It has the 'Reclocker' which can be bought separately ($1000.00 US less than server) as well as the cubox server. An additional option available that would bring performance up another notch, would be an additional external PSU dedicated to just the 'server'. Since I already have the SOtM with external LPSU, I thought that keeping my SOtM and going for the 'Reclocker' (without server) would provide the best performance/cost ratio and enable me to use the SOtM GUI which I have grown to like very much. The new Gigafilter USB cable is also a significant jump if added to the recipe. Though not cheap, my understanding is that it is not just "another" USB cable (although any USB cable can be used in its place). If this isn't clear, please allow me to clarify.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
This is also an important question for me, as I already have a very good server, optimised for the playback via USB. Also, maybe someone can share, how the Totaldac performs with DSD material and what is the maximum DSD rate d1-seven supports?

Maximum DSD rate is 128 (DOP) over USB, AES/EBU or rca/bnc. Best scenario IMO is take your USB to the 'Reclocker' USB input, then AES/EBU to your DAC.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
You can downsample from higher rates of DSD to either 128, or to PCM. This can either be done through the Reclocker, Server, or DAC, but I would prefer to do it via Roon/HqPlayer to keep any extra duty (doodie) out of the (more) critical stages.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Sorry, I have already addressed this - I bought the Lampi at 75 - 80%, that too from the distributor, not the dealer. I have not bought anything from him in the last three years, nor from Lampi (streamer, amps, capbles, etc).

Regarding why butt into this thread, it was because Iamrael brought in Lampi - so I asked did he try it in his system as he hadn't specified, the answer was no, and I asked which tubes, as that is relevant to a demo. Since then, there has been constant attack and false allegations. It is guys like you who actually hold back the forum, by stating incorrect demos of products when you have not demoed them, and then attacking people so that some actual Lampi users who do have experiences to share do not state their experiences. If you want to mention a product, hear it in the same system before you do.

This coming from the guy that doesn't even own speakers (or a full system) yet makes statements from his visits as fact in a highly subjective hobby... Might want to take a reality pill about now...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This coming from the guy that doesn't even own speakers (or a full system) yet makes statements from his visits as fact in a highly subjective hobby... Might want to take a reality pill about now...

That's how you read them. Btw, do you ever stop? You are the main reason this thread and others continue to go downhill. You seem to come out of hibernation only to attack me. Hope you smile at other times, though I understand what listening to an esoteric for so many years can do to a man's psyche

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Just got word that TotalDAC is shipping out Reclocker and DAC tomorrow. I will start a new thread when they arrive.
:)

Looking forward to reading the results. Congrats!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
sb06, it’s not my hobby to defend Ked. Really, we have as divergent attitudes in this hobby as you can imagine, and our thought processes drive each other up the wall.
I’ve got angry online previously with a guy who continually trod on the Entreq thread I’d initiated, pouring forth unlimited amounts of cold water and scorn.
But tbh, Ked hasn’t really done this, Lampi was mentioned, and his reflex reaction is to respond.
This is such a weird hobby, I’m not sure there is a reality pill.
So I totally get your aggravation, but it’s probably a bit disproportionate to be quite so cutting twds him.
Normal service resumed later as I get aggravated myself by someone else online LOL.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing