TotalDac D1 Seven

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I have heard the GG this year, in my Stax system with 009s and my custom Carbon amp, v my then resident Audio Note DAC 5. I have no DAC right now, well my lowly AMR. I am going for the Kassandra Ref II, seems like my cup of tea. The GG was nice, but not maybe right for me, I am hard into Redbook only, no interest in DSD. And I want to avoid expensive tubes etc if possible, though I like a tube DAC. I also don't want to get sucked into constant updates, not that that is really bad, it is just I want an end game DAC, no more spending or messing around with stuff. My Audio Note DAC 5 was very nice, but I am thinking things may have moved on in the digital world, though the 'old girl' still managed to kill off most newcomers.

Anyway, that is my story. Keep you posted, but Aries Cerat is doing some magical things and they are very creative and high end, and crucially to me, are expensive yes, but that is aligning with the performance on offer.

Hi Astro,

Were you ever able to audition any of the TotalDAC’s, or is your curiosity piqued by the reviews/word of mouth? One thing that has pulled me to the TotalDAC is the synergy between the D1 Server/Reclocker and the TotalDAC DAC lineup. Much of the new advancements in digital technology has been related to clocking and the intrinsic value of compatibility between various devices such as the Server/DAC. If you are planning on doing a fair amount of streaming I think this is something you should explore. I have had the Naim CD555 (pre-computer audio era), Aqua, and Chord DAVE in my system and have heard the GG enough times and have always found myself wanting more (or less). I was looking at the DAC 5 as an option before I decided to go TotalDAC, but the pricing is a bit out of reach for me. I am going to hold off on any more comments until after I get the DAC Seven and Reclocker, which should be within two weeks.

Holy cow guys you are not aloud to say these kinds of things on the internet. :)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I didn't say, just asked, if are demoing it, are you doing properly? Rolling tubes? If yes and you don't like it, fine.

I'm curious when you make assessments and recommendations while tube rolling with your Lampi do you do it with headphones or?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Holy cow guys you are not aloud to say these kinds of things on the internet. :)

Ha Ha, like it. I think there are super enthusiastic groups of owners of Lampizator, MSB etc. The rest of the 'big hitters' seem less active or vocal, so it can get a bit skewed. Not saying this or that is better, only the energy and amount of info pilling into the Lampi threads I find a bit too much. The Lampi group is very vocal / active which is good in most cases. But it seems a small cluster of very active guys only. My issue is it can get a bit too aggressive or a feeding frenzy. So I dip in and out of those pages. Like, where are the CH Precisions owners, or dCS, or Nagra (for example). They seem very quiet in comparison. Have they nothing to say? Even the TotalDAC threads are quiet as well. As for Audio Note, the silence is deafening. They are even v quiet on the UK sites like the Wam.

Maybe this should be in another thread not TotalDAC? I will shut up now, but you get my point......

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Bonzo,

First, let me say that even though I am new here, I am familiar with and respect your opinions and contributions. I even owe you a Thank You for your compelling posts regarding the Apogee speakers both on this forum your own Zero Distortion (which I think has great potential if you can keep it up) as I have owned a pair now for over a year and am in sonic bliss.

I have never heard the GG in my system, only in a friends system that I am very familiar with. TBH the GG wasn’t even on my radar, and I would not have even mentioned it if someone else hadn’t brought it up into this thread (which seemed really weird considering the scope of discussion).

Hi Rael,

Are your Apogees restored with Graz Ribbons? And are you in the US, so are they restored by Rich Murry? Duettas, or bigger? And what are you driving them with?

Interesting you seem to have an AR Ref 6 pre too, as the Ref 10 is my favorite pre for a planar/cone set up (depending on amp synergy of course), and interestingly the Lampi loves the AR pre amps.

The reason I asked about tubes is Lampi set up is based on gain and impedance match. A tube that can sound great in one set up can sound wimpy in another, and can sound hard and forward in a third. It is when the match happens that the system starts galloping. And I asked purely because you mentioned it in the same vein as the other dacs you demoed in your system, but the Lampi you had not. Do try with your AR pre, and use the EML Lampi special 45s or the PX25s during the demo, or both. If you don't like it, feel free to post here it sucked.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ha Ha, like it. I think there are super enthusiastic groups of owners of Lampizator, MSB etc. The rest of the 'big hitters' seem less active or vocal, so it can get a bit skewed. Not saying this or that is better, only the energy and amount of info pilling into the Lampi threads I find a bit too much. The Lampi group is very vocal / active which is good in most cases. But it seems a small cluster of very active guys only. My issue is it can get a bit too aggressive or a feeding frenzy. So I dip in and out of those pages. Like, where are the CH Precisions owners, or dCS, or Nagra (for example). They seem very quiet in comparison. Have they nothing to say? Even the TotalDAC threads are quiet as well. As for Audio Note, the silence is deafening. They are even v quiet on the UK sites like the Wam.

You will be surprised to know how many more Lampi users are quiet on the forums and extremely chatty on a Lampi whatsapp group. I am not on that group, btw...I am sure SB06 wishes I chat on that group and go quiet here.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
You will be surprised to know how many more Lampi users are quiet on the forums and extremely chatty on a Lampi whatsapp group. I am not on that group, btw...I am sure SB06 wishes I chat on that group and go quiet here.

Bonzo, let’s keep THIS thread ON topic, please. We get it! Its no secret that that there are many companies that use people to continually talk about and praise their products. On the other hand there are also people that are just simply very passionate about a certain product, but regardless of which camp your in, it isn’t fair to repeatedly divide and conquer and distract from the focus of the topic. If you have anything you want to add that relates to TotalDAC I would like to hear about it, otherwise there are many places to talk about the ‘other’ companies.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, I joined in because Lampi got mentioned here, not other way round

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Maybe this should be in another thread not TotalDAC? I will shut up now, but you get my point......

Sorry for going off topic again. What I observe with Lampi is different than any other brand I recall in my many years of forum activity. What I see is the same small group of people who are pervasive throughout virtually all internet forums that work in concert, use the same repeated tactics, and seam incapable of objective measure. It frankly does not seem natural to me if you get my drift. It makes one wonder what is actually happening especially when you take an objective look at the product and connect some of the dots.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sorry for going off topic again. What I observe with Lampi is different than any other brand I recall in my many years of forum activity. What I see is the same small group of people who are pervasive throughout virtually all internet forums that work in concert, use the same repeated tactics, and seam incapable of objective measure. It frankly does not seem natural to me if you get my drift. It makes one wonder what is actually happening especially when you take an objective look at the product and connect some of the dots.

it seems Lampi Nation is under fire here. having owned a GG for a little over a year and being involved with Lampizator, meeting Lukasz, and certainly seeing Lampi from inside and outside, and now being outside for sure......I see nothing nefarious or calculated. Lampizator has a unique DIY heritage and aspect, and upgradability and unusual degree of step by step progress of product that holds the devotee's attention. and Lukasz is a unique type character, and Polish to boot. and the whole tube rolling aspect which drives the Lampi faithful together in a frenzy. then there is Ked and his forceful style adding to the stew of the Lampi aura.

I hope these comments don't dampen anyone's willingness to jump in and let loose their perspective. i'm sure other brands only wish they had such devotion.

but enough with the conspiracy theories. I do understand we all have our personal tolerance levels and hot buttons for irritation. so A + B = C. Lampi Nation will have to live with the sh*t they stir.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
it seems Lampi Nation is under fire here. having owned a GG for a little over a year and being involved with Lampizator, meeting Lukasz, and certainly seeing Lampi from inside and outside, and now being outside for sure......I see nothing nefarious or calculated. we have a unique DIY heritage and aspect, and upgradability and unusual degree of step by step progress of product that holds the devotee's attention. and Lukasz is a unique type character, and Polish to boot. and the whole tube rolling aspect which drives the Lampi faithful together in a frenzy. then there is Ked and his forceful style adding to the stew of the Lampi aura.

I hope these comments don't dampen anyone's willingness to jump in and let loose their perspective. i'm sure other brands only wish they had such devotion.

but enough with the conspiracy theories. I do understand we all have our personal tolerance levels and hot buttons for irritation. so A + B = C. Lampi Nation will have to live with the sh*t they stir.

To be very clear I have no issue wheresoever with large groups of fans and followers for any audio brand (Lampi Nation, in this case, if you will) and the incumbent forum discourse generated. This is part if what makes our hobby enjoyable.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
To be very clear I have no issue wheresoever with large groups of fans and followers for any audio brand (Lampi Nation, in this case, if you will) and the incumbent forum discourse generated. This is part if what makes our hobby enjoyable.

+1.

and my point was only that there is nothing more than that.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
a little back to d1-seven?

So I gave mine a few days to a friend to confirm my really stunning impressions about it
He has, also, a quite good system! with super sharpened ears , d1-server / d1-Six / 845 solista VivaAudio
& a very high efficiency speakers (100 db).

Well, it looks like we're on the same little cloud. And I think that he's even more enthusiastic than me about it! if it's possible...
for him too, it is a nice step, in the DA conversion, that is crossed here (higher than the previous ones) with a great harmony of contrasts,
the whole is well-structured and aerial, the timbes are vibrant and silky, the notes are so dynamic and relaxed...everything and its opposite,
a kind of just alchemy between crazy digital abilities and magic of pure analog in a true respect for the musical message and his intentions.

A device not so worse, at all !
i don't know about the last super Aries Cerat & the Lampi GG but I'm so happy anyway !
this is end... and the beginning.

PS : and he continues, however, to love his superb Six until it, probably one day, turns into Seven !!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Lampizator has a unique DIY heritage and aspect, and upgradability and unusual degree of step by step progress of product that holds the devotee's attention. (...)

Well stated!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Sorry, I joined in because Lampi got mentioned here, not other way round

Sure there is - the other way "round" is to be objective and not bias toward your product of choice.

Or is there something you have to gain that's unknown?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
it seems Lampi Nation is under fire here. having owned a GG for a little over a year and being involved with Lampizator, meeting Lukasz, and certainly seeing Lampi from inside and outside, and now being outside for sure......I see nothing nefarious or calculated. Lampizator has a unique DIY heritage and aspect, and upgradability and unusual degree of step by step progress of product that holds the devotee's attention. and Lukasz is a unique type character, and Polish to boot. and the whole tube rolling aspect which drives the Lampi faithful together in a frenzy. then there is Ked and his forceful style adding to the stew of the Lampi aura.

Mike, I think people are a bit tired of the constant defense from a select few Lampi owners who act like they have stock and / or part ownership in the company. No one is doubting their sonic greatness especially for the $ but everyone has different taste, wants and needs. For example - not everyone wants to spend <$10K and then be expected to roll tubes for better results.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I think people are a bit tired of the constant defense from a select few Lampi owners who act like they have stock and / or part ownership in the company. No one is doubting their sonic greatness especially for the $ but everyone has different taste, wants and needs. For example - not everyone wants to spend <$10K and then be expected to roll tubes for better results.

it's reasonable of you to express irritation when you perceive it. you are 100% correct to do that based on your perspective. so we agree....and I was specifically not being critical of that. and your perspective is understandable. Lampi lovers can be insufferable.:rolleyes:

my comment was only relative to some sort of suggestion of orchestrated aggressive tactics. I think that is off base. it's just normal fandom.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
it's reasonable of you to express irritation when you perceive it. you are 100% correct to do that based on your perspective. so we agree....and I was specifically not being critical of that. and your perspective is understandable. Lampi lovers can be insufferable.:rolleyes: (...)

WBF Lampi lovers are a friendly and enthusiastic group. My only regret is their complete disregard or ignorance on the technical details of their DACs - I could never get a straight answer to any of the technical questions I have asked, although we all know a lot about the vintage of their tubes or metals of their cases. :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
WBF Lampi lovers are a friendly and enthusiastic group. My only regret is their complete disregard or ignorance on the technical details of their DACs - I could never get a straight answer to any of the technical questions I have asked, although we all know a lot about the vintage of their tubes or metals of their cases. :)

to fair Micro, almost zero dac owners would have a clue about that stuff. and the value of that knowledge to most of us is debatable......and a little knowledge is dangerous. better to be happily ignorant and just listen.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
to fair Micro, almost zero dac owners would have a clue about that stuff. and the value of that knowledge to most of us is debatable......and a little knowledge is dangerous. better to be happily ignorant and just listen.

IMHO you are ignoring a large part of WBF readers, that happily have a good technical grasp of audio technology and those who have shown curiosity on these aspects. Again IMHO the kind of attitude you refer only pushes away people from WBF.

And yes, sometimes knowledge means admitting that we can not have an explanation for something in particular - completely different from "be happily ignorant and just listen" concerning DACs.

As always, YMMV!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
IMHO you are ignoring a large part of WBF readers, that happily have a good technical grasp of audio technology and those who have shown curiosity on these aspects. Again IMHO the kind of attitude you refer only pushes away people from WBF.

And yes, sometimes knowledge means admitting that we can not have an explanation for something in particular - completely different from "be happily ignorant and just listen" concerning DACs.

As always, YMMV!

I respect that you enjoy the technical side of things. whether that's a large part of WBF activity is debatable. maybe there are many techie lurkers who read and who do the hit and run on the techie debates; I suppose I ignore those threads or parts of threads. it's not much of my posting activity so certainly my mileage does vary.

it's all good and healthy to not always see things the same.

sometimes I wish I understood more, and sometimes i'm glad I can sail above (or more properly; below) that stuff and just get into the zen state.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing