TotalDac D1 Seven

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
any update post-burn-in?

OK. I shall visit the Totaldac HK dealer showroom for a 2nd audition and then post an update here. :b

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I've just placed the order for my d1-six to be upgraded to d1-seven!

Guillaume

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Mine was upgraded last year in d1-seven... stunning !

Be well in music

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
My experience with d1-seven upgrade

I upgraded my d1-six-tube to the d1-seven several months ago. I use it with the d1-server. Setup with Roon was very smooth, easy and without any trouble whatsoever.

I upgraded to the d1-seven with some trepidation. I was extremely happy with the d1-six. By far the best dac I had ever listened to or owned (at least for my musical taste). How much better could the d1–seven be? However, as soon as I listened to the d1-seven, I knew I had made the right decision: the d1–seven was immediately, obviously, and musically better.

Over the next several weeks, I struggled to figure out WHY the d1-seven was so much more enjoyable. It was a bit frustrating because while all the usual things like soundstage, detail, tone, timbre, percussive strikes (I love piano) etc were each somewhat better, each by itself wasn't dramatically better. Then I realized that the reason the d1-seven sounded SO much better, was BECAUSE all those things were better across the board.

I’ve certainly listened to equipment that was “better” in some of those things but somewhere along the line, musicality was lost. I can definitely say that is NOT the case with the d1-seven. Listening to music is a greater joy than ever.

Highly recommended!

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
My upgraded DAC arrived this am and I set it up when I got a bit of time in the afternoon. Gave it a quick listen and immediately it sounded very good, like "wow" something about the sound seemed quite a bit better. So I let it run for a few hours before giving it some more serious listening. I imagine it will need a day or two to settle but already this has to be one of the most musical DACs I've ever heard, the d1-six was certainly no slouch in this department but this is on an entirely new level. As I try and analyse what's going on there are lots of changes but I probably just need more time to take it all in. It's very, very good. :)

Guillaume

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi Guillaume, congrats...
the best is on the way !

Be well in music

BF38

Oct 31, 2017

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Non-stop playback all day today. Dipping in and out to hear the changes as and when possible. First observation: my speakers are just disappearing. The image between them is so palpable. The soundstage is bigger and in particular deeper, my man cave indeed! The dynamic shading thing is what I noticed most with classical, with jazz the vocals and percussion were ghost-like and now with techno I am not sure I ever heard such resolved bass and I used to own a Devialet 900 upgraded to 1000 PRO, and those guys can do bass! This is something else! There is the same intensity i heard here with the Linn Klimax DS/3, dare I say it the timing of the d1-seven is on a par.

Guillaume

JRDiAndrea

Jan 13, 2018
I'm a first time poster here. Have read this entire thread and am compelled to post. I am in the process of upgrading my current media player/server and eventually upgrade my DAC. I am very interested in the ToitalDAC 7. I'm considering a couple different Media Servers but am focusing on the Baetis Referrence 2. Does anyone have experience with the Baetis? And, in particular, experience with the Baetis and the TotalDAC? Thanks!

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
I'm a first time poster here. Have read this entire thread and am compelled to post. I am in the process of upgrading my current media player/server and eventually upgrade my DAC. I am very interested in the ToitalDAC 7. I'm considering a couple different Media Servers but am focusing on the Baetis Referrence 2. Does anyone have experience with the Baetis? And, in particular, experience with the Baetis and the TotalDAC? Thanks!

Totaldac Dacs can be purchased with a server option, at considerably less cost than a separate server. I purchased a 2nd Totaldac dac with server option (d1-core-server) for my 2nd system. Sounds great and works flawlessly with Roon. (Most importantly to me, it sounds like a Totaldac!). Can also be upgraded to b1-six-server it d1-seven-server as funds allow. I would consider that approach.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Totaldac Dacs can be purchased with a server option, at considerably less cost than a separate server. I purchased a 2nd Totaldac dac with server option (d1-core-server) for my 2nd system. Sounds great and works flawlessly with Roon. (Most importantly to me, it sounds like a Totaldac!). Can also be upgraded to b1-six-server it d1-seven-server as funds allow. I would consider that approach.

Yes, the totaldac "integrated" are also a good path to music... and with the USB Gigafilter and the server additional power supply,
it could be a so nice direct line. I tried next year the surprising "little" d1-core with server option, it already has, indeed, all the Totaldac DNA essential to music.

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Has anyone had a chance to compare the internal server option vs. something like the ulraRendu w/LPS1.2 power supply?

In the past, some have observed that earlier versions of the server and a microrendu were comparable, then Vincent upgraded the power to the server and the server supposedly jumped in front.
But the ultraRendu and LPS1.2 power supply, or even the Signature Rendu have moved the competition as well.

As for me, I got my d1-dual upgraded to d1-six last summer and Vincent showed me the soon to be released d1-seven, about which I am now drooling (but didn't have bucks to jump on at the time).
If the six==>seven jump is larger than the dual==>six improvement, as many say, my wallet will be lighter this summer (again).

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Has anyone had a chance to compare the internal server option vs. something like the ulraRendu w/LPS1.2 power supply?

In the past, some have observed that earlier versions of the server and a microrendu were comparable, then Vincent upgraded the power to the server and the server supposedly jumped in front.
But the ultraRendu and LPS1.2 power supply, or even the superRendu have moved the competition as well.

Can I ask - what is the superRendu?

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
music is a chance, whatever the gadgets in place !

For some time at home, a little 46 and its first octave
make me so so happy, it's nothing and all.

15_Totaldac.jpg

20_Totaldac.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing