Best DAC for me?

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
At this moment I have a BADA DAC and DCS Paganini transport and clock. Spectral amplifiers (DMC 30 and 280) and a Naim streamer. I'm looking for a better DAC.
According to me there are two options: Berkeley Audio Design Reference 2 or the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Which one is the best?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
At this moment I have a BADA DAC and DCS Paganini transport and clock. Spectral amplifiers (DMC 30 and 280) and a Naim streamer. I'm looking for a better DAC.
According to me there are two options: Berkeley Audio Design Reference 2 or the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Which one is the best?

I went from BADA to Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Love it. Have not compared it directly with Berkeley Audio Design Reference 2.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Ken (Alpinist) here on WBF has a new Berkeley Audio Design Reference 2 for sale. You may want to get his thoughts on the DAC. Not sure he knows the Schiit but he does no his schiit when it comes to audio.

http://http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?24283-FS-Berkeley-Alpha-DAC-Reference-Series-2-MQA

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Go to audiostream.com and bring up their favorites - best bits under DAC's. Read the reviews.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
I moved from a Yggy, which is a great product at the price point, to a Lampizator balanced Golden Gate DAC. In my experience, it's in a whole other league in terms of realistic recreation of a musical performance. Lampizator has a number of DACs in a wide range of price points. Very musical, coherent, highly resolving, and non-fatiguing. I've heard several of their DACs at various audio shows and the sound was always analog sounding.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Hi Geert,

I’m not familiar with the Schiit DAC but I can tell you anything you want to know about the Berkeley Reference 2 MQA DAC. It has a very liquid tube-like sound quality but without any of the hassles of tubes. The midrange has a natural warmth and body to it with a lot of delicacy. The treble is very pure yet relaxed without even a hint of digital edge. The bass really surprised me with its depth and robustness. The bass also has wonderful roundness and texture to it that is very rare for a solid state DAC. Don’t consider it a lightweight because it really delivers the dynamic swings on my Tchaikovsky, Gershwin and Copland Telarc CDs.

Best,
Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing