OTL amp owners

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thank you for posting those photos, Tim!

What drove the switch from Atma-Sphere to Lamm?

That's a good question, Ron. It was a time of conflicting choices, directions, and options for me. And to this day I remain uncertain about the precise reason or motivator for my switch.

One factor was my love of large scale orchestral music: Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Bruckner, Stravinsky, and others. Another factor was my AP Avantis were not up to the scale needed for the larger room my (then) inew house offered. Although they were delightful in a near-field configuration with a relatively small listening triangle, they only went so low with any authority and not low enough. Wilson wanted me to review the recently new Sasha and although that ended up not happening, they made me an offer I could not refuse. Imo it is not possible to make a mistake with Lamm electronics and I was wholly uncertain about the right and best speaker at that time for the Atmas. Stir well and pour.

I still think fondly of my years with Atma-Sphere. If the right circumstances came along I'd have them again. While what @microstrip said about the MA-2s is true, imo the M60 is the real sweetheart in Ralph's stable, with the right speaker.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting, Tim. Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed explanation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing