OTL amp owners

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah wonderful nostalgia-indeed lovely musical Speakers the Beveridge--I remember visiting the Santa Barbara HQ and being warmly welcomed by the

Charming Mr. Harold B!--I was even privy to a sneak peak at the 2W's(?) finished in Mirrorball Panels for Julie Andrews ;) !

Good to hear the brand are still with us

Good Luck

BruceD

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi there,

That's exciting, I understand that Rick Beveridge is again restoring panels. Modjeski said that he might take a crack at it if he could get settled in his new home and found the time. My panels are, knock on wood, fine.

My Model 3's are now running direct drive and sub frequencies crossed over with a first order cap to stereo subs. I would jump on some Model 2's if I could find them. The Direct drive on the 3's make quite a difference.

http://rickbeveridge.com

Thanks.

Rick worked on my Model 3's and 2's. Roger completed work on my amps when he resided in Santa Barbara.
I hope to have the Model 2 fully restored.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I had the Silvaweld OTL Reference monoblocks. The sound was thrilling but the heat unbearable...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/atma_sphere_ma2_mk31.htm

I wrote about the incredible crystalline transparency and clarity I heard from the Einstein Silver Bullet OTL Mk. II amplifiers, yet I found the presentation "lean" and lacking the richness and full-bodiedness I am used to with (transformer coupled) tube amps.

Marc describes this same phenomenon comparing Atma-Sphere amps to Lamm hybrids:

[Lamm] adds up to a sense of musical rightness, a quality that the Atma-Sphere amps also possess, even if they achieve it in different ways -- with their standard-setting transparency. This makes for a kind of realism that the Lamm amps don't quite achieve, one that's about revealing the unique qualities of each recording. The midrange of the Atma-Sphere amps is so light-filled and vivid that it seems improbable to be coming from anything other than live music. In contrast, the mids of the M1.2s are more consistent with those of very good tubes -- full-bodied and rounded, a touch dark in tonal terms.​

Now that I have heard the crystalline transparency of OTL I kind of feel like there is no going back to conventional tube amps. And yet . . . there was that leanness I am not sure I can get used to (even if it is more "accurate" than the slightly "gauzy" sonic layer of the output transformer).

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Most OTLs won't be able to drive the speakers that lamm hybrids are being used for

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree with that. But I was focusing on the midrange transparency of OTL versus the midrange richness of transformer output tube amps.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I agree with that. But I was focusing on the midrange transparency of OTL versus the midrange richness of transformer output tube amps.

That leanness, which my Silvaweld OTLs also had to a small degree, is partially due to them being Class AB with negative feedback. The bigger Atmaspheres go without feedback but are not Class A. By most accounts the Joule Electras were richer sounding, particularly when run sans feedback.

A single ended OTL to me might be the holy grail. I know two mfg. of such devices. Transcendent sound (kit) and Aries Cerat. I think AC monos are 100 watts...something to think about...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Legislative history shows that many people found the Joule Electras to be richer sounding (Ralph disagrees with this). But what is the reason in the design that people found the Joule Electras richer sounding?

I think the MA-2 is pure Class A.

Do you mean that Aries Cerat Collatio II mono (80 watts)?

Have you heard Ralph's Novacron amp? (It uses the same output tube as the Joule Electras, I believe.)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
having had the atmaspheres, crystalline clarity is spot on, they are Class A, circlotron circuits with multiple tube don't need much feedback as are inherently stable

futterman or totem pole otl need feedback to stabilise circuit

i have only heard two 6c33 otl and this was a lusher sound, both had 6sn7 drivers

with a circlotron otl the bandwidth and slew rate are both pretty amazing.....no going back ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did you hear any on stats, Andrew?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've heard them on David Magnan's Stacked Quads in Camarillo CA

Sorry Andrew--your call:b

BruceD

How was that. Did it play orchestral well?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
How was that. Did it play orchestral well?

Yes Ked, I will admit it was a few years back --I presume the Amps have progressed somewhat since then.

I do recall David played only Classical Vinyl--but knowing --as I'm sure you are aware of the limitations of the Quads--even a stacked pair

cannot do full orchestral climaxes to their sonic extremes. I have photo of the setup which I shall endeavour to find and Post here.

I cannot recall the Cartridge --it may have been the Win Strain Gauge.

BruceD

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Sorry only on cones and horns Ked

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you have a pic of the horns? Was it like a voice of theatre design?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Legislative history shows that many people found the Joule Electras to be richer sounding (Ralph disagrees with this). But what is the reason in the design that people found the Joule Electras richer sounding?

Have you heard Ralph's Novacron amp? (It uses the same output tube as the Joule Electras, I believe.)

Although not fully class A - no true tube OTL of significant power can be class A when using your speakers - the MA-2 is biased at 1.2A - much more than common class A/B tube or SS amplifier. It is what was called a very enriched class A/B amplifier, most of time working in class A.

Why going for an expensive and hard to get tube (the 6C33) when you can use the well sounding, cheap, reliable and safe 6AS7? :)

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Although not fully class A - no true tube OTL of significant power can be class A when using your speakers - the MA-2 is biased at 1.2A - much more than common class A/B tube or SS amplifier. It is what was called a very enriched class A/B amplifier, most of time working in class A.

Why going for an expensive and hard to get tube (the 6C33) when you can use the well sounding, cheap, reliable and safe 6AS7? :)

Very true.Even for many SS amplifier who claim "Class A" ,all it takes is a look at their idle current to take the claim of Class A away.

That is why we biased our SS Class A amp at 12A and the
SE OTL at 5.2A idle,but that is another story though:) In a world with green technology frenzy,such exercises in design are asking for trouble from our friend Al Gore and likes:)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
having had the atmaspheres, crystalline clarity is spot on, they are Class A, circlotron circuits with multiple tube don't need much feedback as are inherently stable

futterman or totem pole otl need feedback to stabilise circuit

i have only heard two 6c33 otl and this was a lusher sound, both had 6sn7 drivers

with a circlotron otl the bandwidth and slew rate are both pretty amazing.....no going back ;)

Does Ralph's Novacron display a lusher sound than his M-60 or MA-1?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I see that the Tenor 75 OTL used 6C33C tubes!

I think I rest my case (Joule Electra and Tenor) that for some reason the 6C33C OTL amps sound less lean than the 6AS7 OTL amps.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

No push/pull OTL is pure Class A. It seems though that the Joule Electras were richly biased and had adjustable feedback (from zero to ?).

Yes, I meant the Collatio IIs. They are Single Ended OTLs and therefore HAVE to be Class A.

I found the Atmaspheres I heard to be somewhat leanish like my Silvaweld OTL and others I have heard (like Graaf GM70 and GM200, Transcendent Sound Beast, Tenor OTL, Einstein OTL etc.). Mine were with the 6C33C tube as were the Einsteins, Tenor and the Graaf, so that tube doesn't have to sound rich at all. I haven't heard the Joules but most reports were that they were rich sounding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing