Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
This is incomplete imo as OTLs have other idiosyncrasies. See the common recommendation of Speltz autoformers in order to increase speaker impedance (which can't be 100% transparent of course). OTLs are often lacking in bass too. So is this complete neutrality? Not so sure.

Every time I have been able to examine in detail a situation where an OTL amp was introduced into a system and the results were disappointing, I have found a plausible explanation in the speaker's impedance curve.

We must consider that OTLs have high output impedance and some speakers have very severe dips in the impedance in the bass frequencies - this can create dips in bass response. Some speakers are adequate for OTLs, some are not. XLF's are good candidates ...

Excellent points.

Compared to a voltages-source amp (most solid state amps), an OTL will deliver more power into an impedance peak and less power into an impedance dip.

So... OTL amps (and any high-output-impedance amps) will deliver more power into the bass peak(s); less power into the typically fairly broad upper-bass/lower mid impedance dip (ime this explains cases of "leanness"); and more power into impedance peaks associated with the crossover region. The net result can be an unacceptably colored frequency response if the speaker's impedance curve is a poor match for the amplifier. This is why, in my opinion, the amp manufacturer and/or speaker manufacturer should be consulted about compatibility before money changes hands if OTL (or SET) amps are involved.

It is not too difficult to design a speaker for compatibility with an OTL amp, but you have to keep one eye on the impedance curve in the design stage so that you don't paint yourself into a corner. Fortunately OTL amps tend to be more powerful than SET amps, so extremely high efficiency generally isn't as essential. I design for OTL amp compatibility and my efficiencies are typically in the lower 90's.

I can't speak to other OTL designs, but Atma-Sphere offers noise-floor-lowering options for users with extremely high efficiency speakers. I have a friend who has been driving his outrageously efficient Avantgardes with Atma-Sphere amps for close to two decades.

Reactions: tima and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Every time I have been able to examine in detail a situation where an OTL amp was introduced into a system and the results were disappointing, I have found a plausible explanation in the speaker's impedance curve.

Excellent points.

Compared to a voltages-source amp (most solid state amps), an OTL will deliver more power into an impedance peak and less power into an impedance dip.

So... OTL amps (and any high-output-impedance amps) will deliver more power into the bass peak(s); less power into the typically fairly broad upper-bass/lower mid impedance dip (ime this explains cases of "leanness"); and more power into impedance peaks associated with the crossover region. The net result can be an unacceptably colored frequency response if the speaker's impedance curve is a poor match for the amplifier. This is why, in my opinion, the amp manufacturer and/or speaker manufacturer should be consulted about compatibility before money changes hands if OTL (or SET) amps are involved.

It is not too difficult to design a speaker for compatibility with an OTL amp, but you have to keep one eye on the impedance curve in the design stage so that you don't paint yourself into a corner. Fortunately OTL amps tend to be more powerful than SET amps, so extremely high efficiency generally isn't as essential. I design for OTL amp compatibility and my efficiencies are typically in the lower 90's.

I can't speak to other OTL designs, but Atma-Sphere offers noise-floor-lowering options for users with extremely high efficiency speakers. I have a friend who has been driving his outrageously efficient Avantgardes with Atma-Sphere amps for close to two decades.
Hello Duke,
Does the principle apply also to OTL headphone amps?
Thanks.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Hello Duke,
Does the principle apply also to OTL headphone amps?
Thanks.

Yes the same principle applies, but without knowing the specifics I couldn't say whether it's a significant consideration or not... I'm not a headphones guy, so I don't know what sort of amplifier output impedances and headphone input impedances we're talking about.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Futterman H3 with ESLs

IMG_1802.JPG

Reactions: christoph

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.3 OTL Silver Edition mono blocks

Classic Audio T-3.4 fully field-coiled

With that and the Atma-Sphere MP1 3.4 this is the best sounding music machine I have ever owned. Ah...

Attachments

• F54C315B-F6A3-48CC-AB10-8D244C068C86.jpeg
    F54C315B-F6A3-48CC-AB10-8D244C068C86.jpeg
    714.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 4CC1AF31-CF78-49C4-85AA-78AE5039E651.jpeg
    4CC1AF31-CF78-49C4-85AA-78AE5039E651.jpeg
    803.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

With that and the Atma-Sphere MP1 3.4 this is the best sounding music machine I have ever owned. Ah...
Great system. What are the differences between MP1 mk3.4 and the mk3.3?

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Great system!

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I think that must be fun ;)otl driven quad esl 57

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes the first time I experienced the Superb Atma-Sphere OTL's was at this dear friend's house--also Stacked Quads with Entec Woofers.

The sonic presentation I still recall to this day.

Kudos indeed :)

BruceD

Magnan1.jpg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
With a second Stacked Quad you add + 6dB at bottom and+3 dB overall.
Alone one One Esl 57 mesasurment
QUAD2-FRQ.gif

Stacked Quad esl57 two each side
DBLQ-FRQ.gif

Here comes the Trick you add no woofer, you add another quad of course only the bass panel of a quad esl 57 like in the video.
Then you have a real fast and deep playing Speaker.
If like you can add a Supertweeter,i have seen some use Mark Levinson ribbon tweeter finished is great speaker.;):cool:
P.S bass panel can also stand behind it does not matter

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
What year? Looks like 1978?
Ha!-- the owners would not know whether to laugh or cry--but I did spare a chuckle :p

No, that pic was actually --I think 1990/91--Ralph would possibly know the setup and the Gentleman pictured.

I spent some great listening sessions there!

Incidentally not 78 but 1981 when I was on a working stint in NY I caught up with an old buddy ,John Syder he was working with Dr Gizmo on the

NYAL OTLs --we had some top listening sessions --one especially, when we visited Stew Hegeman in his studio and spent the day musing with him

on his work on the Citation Amps and his unusual speaker ( if I recall the cone, I think an 8inch faced upwards )listening to his wonderful

Westminster Master tapes he produced.We heard his Hapi one Phono pre--I bought it;)!

Fun times,

BruceD

Reactions: morricab

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Had not seen this thread until its resurfacing in the last few days.

I've had a nice amount of time with Atma-Sphere gear and a few weeks with David Bernings big Quadrature Z's. Others can debate if the latter is an OTL but they were the most resolving amps I've ever heard - they will tell that Dusty brushed with the Ipana, not the Colgate.

The Atma-Sphere M60s were in-house for several months and I wrote about them here. I owned a pair of MA-1 mk3s and wrote about them getting upgraded to 3.1 status. I owned the MP-1 mk3.1 preamplifier (a true preamp !) and wrote about it here.

I used the Atma-Sphere gear with my Audio Physics Avanti Century speakers and with the original Wilson Sasha - with and without Paul Speltz's autoformers. No doubt there are nay-sayers and technocrats wrt the Wilsons, but the reality was the MA-1 + MP-1 combo was surprisingly satisfactory with them. Together they presented information from LPs that neither ARC 250SE monoblocks, C-J Premier 140 nor Lamm M1.2 monoblocks did not.

P1000751.JPG
ooooo, aahhh -Two 7-inch woofers! My pre-Mahler days.

Atma-Sphere_MA-1_Tim_4.jpg
Only 10 years ago - it sure seems a lot longer than that.

Atma-Sphere_MA-1_Tim_6.jpg
Super good point-to-point wiring from Ralph's shop.

MP-1 Volume Control.jpg
Want to know if your preamp is a true balanced design or one that just converts signal from XLR inputs to single-ended and back? Check if its volume control is a true four-pole device. That's the MP-1 above - hand built, lovely workmanship.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Had not seen this thread until its resurfacing in the last few days.

I've had a nice amount of time with Atma-Sphere gear and a few weeks with David Bernings big Quadrature Z's. Others can debate if the latter is an OTL but they were the most resolving amps I've ever heard - they will tell that Dusty brushed with the Ipana, not the Colgate.

The Atma-Sphere M60s were in-house for several months and I wrote about them here. I owned a pair of MA-1 mk3s and wrote about them getting upgraded to 3.1 status. I owned the MP-1 mk3.1 preamplifier (a true preamp !) and wrote about it here.

I used the Atma-Sphere gear with my Audio Physics Avanti Century speakers and with the original Wilson Sasha - with and without Paul Speltz's autoformers. No doubt there are nay-sayers and technocrats wrt the Wilsons, but the reality was the MA-1 + MP-1 combo was surprisingly satisfactory with them. Together they presented information from LPs that neither ARC 250SE monoblocks, C-J Premier 140 nor Lamm M1.2 monoblocks did not.

View attachment 75170
ooooo, aahhh -Two 7-inch woofers! My pre-Mahler days.

View attachment 75166
Only 10 years ago - it sure seems a lot longer than that.

View attachment 75167
Super good point-to-point wiring from Ralph's shop.

View attachment 75169
Want to know if your preamp is a true balanced design or one that just converts signal from XLR inputs to single-ended and back? Check if its volume control is a true four-pole device. That's the MP-1 above - hand built, lovely workmanship.

The Atmasphere's are great sounding amplifiers - and the factory upgrade policy is one of the best in the audio industry.

If it was not for the 1600W idle of the MA2 pair I would surely still own them. And once we try the MA-2's we do not want MA-1's - the MA-2's are a class apart. I would love to listen to them with the Vivaldi stack - in my experience it smells a great match!

Reactions: tima

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting those photos, Tim!

What drove the switch from Atma-Sphere to Lamm?

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Great system. What are the differences between MP1 mk3.4 and the mk3.3?
Oops. I believe that’s a typo, should be Mk.3.3. Nice catch

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Atmasphere's are great sounding amplifiers - and the factory upgrade policy is one of the best in the audio industry.

If it was not for the 1600W idle of the MA2 pair I would surely still own them. And once we try the MA-2's we do not want MA-1's - the MA-2's are a class apart. I would love to listen to them with the Vivaldi stack - in my experience it smells a great match!
That is ultimately what led me to sell my Silvaweld OTL reference monos...the heat... oh boy the heat! Also a real pain to keep biases correctly.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
OTLs in the great white north make a home cozy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing