Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: OTL amp owners

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Which transformer-coupled SET amps do you believe have sufficient iron to transcend the transformer limitation and be truly transparent, and be competitive on that attribute with OTLs?
    Well, we can talk about this privately, since I don't want to discuss my brand too much in a public forum. Suffice to say, that I have heard one or two SETs that get VERY close to that bracing and breathtaking feeling a good OTL delivers. It is not just transparency but perceived dynamics too, micro and macro. The SET did better with "feel" and coherence, particularly in top to bottom tonal consistency. Personally, I think a SET OTL could be the ideal amplifier. However, I only know of two companies that make them; Aries Cerat (for an all-out assault on the concept) and Transcendent Sound, which offers a 4 watt kit (or 12 watt monos) for a bit over $1000. I am really tempted to buy and build the kit to play on my 96db Foxtex based Decware HDT speakers...just to see what it is all about. The Collatio II from AC makes like 20 or 25 watts, which is fine for me but the 1200 watts of heat and 120Kg are not fine...but that is Stavros...no half measures.
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    Swiss Importer/distributor for Aries Cerat Ltd.
    www.soundcastles.ch

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    This is true, but it is also true that certain amps are not transparent even if they match. They might be excellent on respective speakers yet be colored and not transparent.
    You raise a good point. Probably better to say I think its more likely to be transparent if the speaker/amp interface is correct.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Thank you, Brad. But there still is the very important matter of integration with the bass tower amplifier.

Yes, please sent me a PM or email!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 15' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678