Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: OTL amp owners

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Dear Stavros,

Thank you for your candid and detailed reply. It is refreshing to hear (ah, read) a designer being thoughtful and intellectually honest about the ideal and less ideal speaker matches for his amplifier.

It is comforting to learn that you understand and agree with the sonic character I hear from some OTL models. I think a single-ended OTL likely is (for an appropriate speaker) the "holy grail" of tube amplification. The Collatio II may very well be the best-sounding amplifier ever made for horn loudspeakers.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries Cerat View Post
    Hello Ron
    Thank you for the compliments.
    Happy to be among the company here at WBF.

I do tend to agree with you on the basis that ,at least to the OTL models i have heard,there is a certain leanness or absence of richness to say it better in OTL sound in general.

I have to state in front that the Collatio is a current amplifier,and not a voltage amplifier which is the norm.The majority of speaker drivers(dynamic drivers usually) will not like that. There is a certain niche of speaker drivers/technology which like and prefer to be driven by current amplifiers.Compression drivers are one of them.Some ribbons(usually transformer coupled,like the ones we use),some very low Q dynamic drivers as well do like current amplifiers.

In other words the Collatio is not designed to be an all around amplifier,but specifically designed to drive a certain category of speakers.

That said,i can say that the Collatio does not present the normal OTL sound traits.You may attribute this to being SE (the distortion spectrum is vastly different),the fact that is a current amplifier,or that carries a lot of iron in the signal path(being choke loaded parafeed) ,or even having a big DHT as driver tube.Any of these design choices could deviate the sound of Collatio from the normal OTL sound,but i cannot separate the effect that each of these parameter have, on the end result.

In any case it does not sound like a lean amplifier ,but at the same time it is not an amplifier we would recommend to speakers which would not be happy with current drive.And the majority of commercial speakers are just that .

Cheers
    Stavros
    Amazingly great post...intellectually honest, super informative, fun insights into the alchemy/science of building a system and understanding WHY things happen scientifically.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    (...) Thank you for your candid and detailed reply. It is refreshing to hear (ah, read) a designer being thoughtful and intellectually honest about the ideal and less ideal speaker matches for his amplifier. (...)
    Ron,

Just to remember that Ralph Karsten of Atmasphere also wrote long posts in WBF debating the current amplifier / voltage amplifier subject in OTLs, how they should measured and which speakers should / should not be used with OTLs. See our old and long thread http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...Constant-Power or mainly for speaker advice: http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources...ier_Design.php
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Thank you for reminding me!

Ralph has been very generous here with his time, his experience and his intellect!

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Has anyone made any progress on understanding the Alieno Ltd. 250 OTL?

Quote Originally Posted by gian60 View Post
    My friend bought Alieno 2 months ago and sold Convergent stereo and is happy
    Do you know which Convergent amplifier your friend had before the Alieno?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Has anyone made any progress on understanding the Alieno Ltd. 250 OTL?
    I thought about quite a bit...
    After reading about it, I found something while on Google.

I may be totally wrong here.

It's a OCT/OTL with both tubes working in cathode follower 'mode'. The trick is that the powersupply is left floating and moves up and down with the voltage of the output signal. (In my opinion this also explains the solid state power supply) That's probably were you get the juice.

Name:  image024.gif
Views: 123
Size:  5.4 KB

I think the top tube is the 300B and the bottom tube has been replaced by a tetrode (KT150).
    You can never have enough power !!

Custom speaker in progress

Can help with recomendations for hotels and good food in munich !

My friend had JL 5 Black Pack stereo
    Wanted to change to buy mono JL Statement,but expensive and difficult to have so listen Alieno and bought and told me is much better than his Convergent
    I will go to visit my friend with Ked when will come to my home end of february and to listen Torqueo
    I never listen and saw Alieno even if company producer is in Naples but worldwide distributor is my friend living half an hour by car from my home

My friend has pre Convergent black path with TAD R1 and Sme 3012 and Lenco

Quote Originally Posted by GMKF View Post
    I thought about quite a bit...
    After reading about it, I found something while on Google.

I may be totally wrong here.

It's a OCT/OTL with both tubes working in cathode follower 'mode'. The trick is that the powersupply is left floating and moves up and down with the voltage of the output signal. (In my opinion this also explains the solid state power supply) That's probably were you get the juice.

Name:  image024.gif
Views: 123
Size:  5.4 KB

I think the top tube is the 300B and the bottom tube has been replaced by a tetrode (KT150).
    Why haven't more amplifier designers employed this design, do you suppose?

Is this design similar in result (if not in topology) to a hybrid amp with solid-state output stage?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast