FS: stunning AUDIOPAX MODEL5 Pre amp BARGAIN

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
audiopax model5 preamp in black. mint condition inc remote. JUST £2500.00 + courier.

probably the best preamp on the planet under 10K

AWARD WINNING TIMBRE LOCK MECHANISM* ensuring TWO adjustable gain facilities, one the master volume control, the other a preamplifier/amplifier matching device ensuring THD optimization between preamp and amp.

5 single-ended inputs, one rec-out and two single-ended pre-outs. One 4- and one 5-pin DIN socket connect twin captured umbilicals on the external power supply. One central toggle selects between hi/low gain (23/12dB). Around front, things get a bit more unusual with the abundance of five rotary controls that do not include a balance control but dual-mono TimbreLock controls with precise hairline settings in 50 increments [below], one central master volume in again 50 steps, one rec-out control assigning one of the five inputs to those record sockets and the source selector control.

The AUDIOPAX comes with an RF unit that controls volume up/down.

The recently released Mk3 version of this preamp retails at $19000 in the USA

Dubbed "the world's best preamplifier" by the Editor of Brazil's preeminent magazine (Clubo de Audio e Video) who awarded the Model 5 an extra half star beyond the highest possible rating.

*Timbre Lock® technology won the most important award given by the traditional Britsh magazine Hi Fi News - the "Industry Award 2003 for Best Valve Amplifier Innovation". It was d as "...a near genius application that works pure and simple".

The Editor of Hi-Fi+, reviewed the Model 5 pre amplifier and penned a rave review:
“...This is a product that makes recordings sound lively and direct, exciting and engaging... the way it holds the soloist against the orchestral background, extracting every ounce of his passion and technique."..."For me that is what hi-fi should be all about and on those grounds the AUDIOPAX model five deserves, even demands, your attention...”
[Roy Gregory, Editor]

The Model 5 won the "Jimmy Awards 2003" by Jim Saxon of site SoundStage!:
"From the land of Black Orpheus comes the Audiopax Model 5. Perhaps its Brazilian provenance excited my desires, but this preamp struck me as a potential jewel. The designer, Eduardo de Lima, is a gentleman who resonates with intelligence. If he says his preamp is tunable for timbre, I believe him. If he says the Model 5 offers world-class dynamics and definition, I believe him. If he says I have to fly to Rio de Janeiro to audition the unit, I believe him. With Carnaval only a few weeks away, I must have some frequent-flyer miles somewhere."

The Model 5 had a stunning review by the editor of prestigious Norwegian magazine ‘Fidelity’

"...Should I collect my impression of the sound balance and sound quality, must it be this"

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, interesting piece...
At this price, a bargain indeed :)
For those with tube amps that don't want/need a tube preamp as well...

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Wow, interesting piece...
At this price, a bargain indeed :)
For those with tube amps that don't want/need a tube preamp as well...
Spot on Sir. I trust the true audiophiles on here can sense a real bargain when they see. I have two units so one to keep one to sell

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Let me know if you want to upgrade to the new Audiopax L50 preamp... I see you're selling a bunch of stuff, and we can work with you on a trade perhaps...

cheers,
Alex

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Let me know if you want to upgrade to the new Audiopax L50 preamp... I see you're selling a bunch of stuff, and we can work with you on a trade perhaps...

cheers,
Alex

Thx Alex. I don't need a phono upgrade. BTW how did u learn to set the timbre lock. Who taught u

Eduardo once told me that I set the TL even better than himself which I thought was splendid of him

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I meant to also say for me $ for $ the Model88 is the greatest amp on the planet. A work of genius and the bargain of the century. I remember when it was just $9800!!!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, the L50 is not a phono, it's a line stage, like the Model 5 you have :) But it's from the Maggiore line, superior to the 5/88 combo.

The 88 is still in production, with quite a few upgrades along the way. It's now priced at $14,800/pair, and we do offer trade ups and/or upgrades.

Oh, Timbre Lock is basically a fine tuning of the entire system, including speakers, cables,etc., and it really needs to be handled by the owner of the system. I generally offer guidelines and show how each setting affects the overall performance, but generally the final positioning must be set by the owner, according to his/her preferences!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing