California
www.vonschweikert.com
23031264_1491122687603744_3128278197610154978_n.jpg

23167478_1491825977533415_5089330469176513751_n.jpg

23131766_1491825917533421_4967084655155238704_n.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Looking at this system, does anybody actually own a system that replicates this? What looks like four VAC amps, Esoteric pieces, those exact speakers, etc. If so, they must have a GIANT room to display it all in. Here's hoping that if someone does, they aren't shoehorning it into a 12x 15 space, LOL.:rolleyes::D:D

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Yes:)

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Visiting this room was quite an experience, and yes, the room was huge. The music was exceptional. I returned 2 or 3 times. Thanks to you, VAC and The Audio Company for bringing your best!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looking at this system, does anybody actually own a system that replicates this? What looks like four VAC amps, Esoteric pieces, those exact speakers, etc. If so, they must have a GIANT room to display it all in. Here's hoping that if someone does, they aren't shoehorning it into a 12x 15 space, LOL.:rolleyes::D:D

The "Ultra" 111s are in a 108sqm room (1,162sq/ft) room with 14ft ceilings. They are driven bi-amped with custom 450 IQs and Siegfried IIs

My Ultra 11s which should be here in less than 2 months will be in a 90 sq/m room and the twin they are coming with in ranch with an 85 sqn room both with 10.5m ceilings. I will be running mine with CH M1 monos, maybe 2 sets with the slave board in the future, the twin is on the waitlist for 450 IQs.

Yes they have room to breathe :)

Given midfield listening distances, Leif and I are pencil pushing on a baby Ultra for the asian/condo/flat market. I'm committed to picking up two pairs from the first batch built. These will be optimized for spaces between 20 and 30 square meters. The 55s can push out (mid to far field) to 50, the Ultra 9 to 75 without any strain. Less than 20 square, requiring near field listening, that would be stand mounts and subs. No plans for that under the Ultra line. The Unifield 1s and 2s are already very good and are actually the top sellers by volume. If there is demand from myself and my other fellow distributors we could demand an Ultra monitor. So far the demand has been for the baby/compact floorstanding Ultra so that is what we are pushing VSA to make. The no-holds barred monitor market is a very tight one with probably the widest competition vying for a very tough market to please with the smallest ROI comparatively.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The "Ultra" 111s are in a 108sqm room (1,162sq/ft) room with 14ft ceilings. They are driven bi-amped with custom 450 IQs and Siegfried IIs

My Ultra 11s which should be here in less than 2 months will be in a 90 sq/m room and the twin they are coming with in ranch with an 85 sqn room both with 10.5m ceilings. I will be running mine with CH M1 monos, maybe 2 sets with the slave board in the future, the twin is on the waitlist for 450 IQs.

Yes they have room to breathe :)

Given midfield listening distances, Leif and I are pencil pushing on a baby Ultra for the asian/condo/flat market. I'm committed to picking up two pairs from the first batch built. These will be optimized for spaces between 20 and 30 square meters. The 55s can push out (mid to far field) to 50, the Ultra 9 to 75 without any strain. Less than 20 square, requiring near field listening, that would be stand mounts and subs. No plans for that under the Ultra line. The Unifield 1s and 2s are already very good and are actually the top sellers by volume. If there is demand from myself and my other fellow distributors we could demand an Ultra monitor. So far the demand has been for the baby/compact floorstanding Ultra so that is what we are pushing VSA to make. The no-holds barred monitor market is a very tight one with probably the widest competition vying for a very tough market to please with the smallest ROI comparatively.

The room sizes you quote would actually seem to me to be almost too small for speakers of that size! I would have thought a room of at least 2000 sq ft would be more appropriate. Sitting in the near field, which is basically what I did at the LA show when I heard these ( given the speaker size) certainly seems to work with these speakers...but I think a smaller speaker in that particular room would have been just as acceptable...ymmv.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh no, no, no. 1,000 sq ft is the size of a chapel already. We have to remember that speakers like these are a) not line sources and b) not horn loaded. Listening distances are meant to be in the 10 to 14 ft range which would also be the distance between speakers. If you work out the triangulation between the listener and speakers then extrapolate something akin to the rule of thirds for length and side paths, you will get the sizes I mentioned. It's no coincidence that people like Jim, ddk, audiocrack, Phil O'Hanlon, MikeL, Danon, Audioblazer and others here with big speakers have rooms in this size range. Length is sufficient for > half wave at 20Hz. If you do something akin to the show pics above, you will require boundary support and I posit that is part of the reason why the Ultra 11s are positioned closer to the front wall than say my VR-11s were in my own room or the Ultras were in LA.

The goal is not to be able to play louder but to play at high peaks with ease. At 2,000 sq ft you would be defeating the purpose as these were not designed for these sizes really. Only David's Bionors were built for that size and only line sources like the big Genesis' would fare as well as in a that large at least above cut off.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing