Amps for Ron to consider

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Vac 450 IQ Statements:) You wont have to worry about the ribbons

Thank you, Leif. But they are Class A push-pull or Class AB push-pull?

(If Class AB push-pull then I would stay with the VTLs.)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
let's see. looks like these are your check lists;

List A; non-negotiables.

tubes, class A, 150+ watts, smooth and edge free and a bit forgiving, a 'sound' you love.

List B; integration.

linear enough in the upper and mid bass under duress to integrate perfectly with the active solid state powered bass towers,

List C; intangibles.

enough authority for great 1st watt on Gryphon panels, current state of art refinement, lively, low noise, ultra detail.

----a few good to great List A choices, but List A with B get's tougher, then with A + B + all of C get's even tougher.

have fun Ron.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I too am curious to know what Flemming thinks.

Ron FWIW, the only other super-experienced audiophile i know who might have some insight here on this is 'Mihalis' by his moniker on AGon. He owned the earlier 4-tower reference Gryphon speakers (Poseiden) for many years, and ran the main towers with Gryphon Colossseum monos (again, self-powered tower subs) but he also quite often drove the main towers with Wavac 833 Mk II monos.

Did he not own the Marten 4 tower? Yes his Vitus preference was quite clear, and Danon drives his Gryphon with Vitus too.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This is very kind and thoughtful of you, Brad. I appreciate it!

But if we eliminate Class AB operation and anything with transistors and specify at least 100 watts I think that leaves CAT JL7 and Statements -- two excellent candidates! (I would prefer the JL7 over the 6650-tubed Statement.)

The KR DXLs are Class A pushpull triode with no feedback and 140 watts. No OTL on the planet is true Class A. The Statements were Class AB I thought...not sure. The older VAC 140/140 was Class A though.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Flemming was not disconcerted when I told him I would be driving the ribbon panels with VTL MB-750s. I think this may be partly because he has some respect for big VTLs due to the fact that Andy Payor used VTL Siegfrieds for some period of time before he switched to Gryphon Audio amplifiers.

We did not discuss specific tube amp parameters, but I think that Flemming would not bless low or medium power anything, tubes or otherwise. I am also pretty sure Flemming would not bless any SET, if for no other reason than the generally poor distortion measurements of that amplifier topology.

I would not consider for purchase for myself anything below about 150 watts.

To estimate or triangulate on the driver demand of the Pendragon ribbon panel think Genesis rather than Apogee.

The other factor is that I think I'm not particularly sensitive to the kind of lack of integration you are referring to. I am more interested in getting my musical and natural midrange.

Hi Ron,
Just a general question about your listening habits: Do you listen really loud? Have you measured peak levels in your room by any chance to know what kind of power requirements you have for a system? Remember also that this speaker is a line source and the drop off in SPL with distance will be much less than you would have with a point source of the same sensitivity. Your 89db line soure will behave more like a 92db point source. I am asking because I suspect that you won't need 99.9% of the time more than 100 watts and 95% of the time not more than about 10 watts...unless you listen really loud.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
The KR DXLs are Class A pushpull triode with no feedback and 140 watts. No OTL on the planet is true Class A. The Statements were Class AB I thought...not sure. The older VAC 140/140 was Class A though.

Unless it is SE OTL :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In order to debate class A we must know the impedance curve of the loudspeaker. Class A is limited by the current needs of the loudspeaker.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) No OTL on the planet is true Class A. (...)

I am not sure - perhaps some of the first Philips OTLs using a 800 ohm speaker still exist!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Brad,

Does not the KR VA200 have a transistor input stage?

I think the Joule Electras are Class A OTL.

Thank you, again!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,
Just a general question about your listening habits: Do you listen really loud? Have you measured peak levels in your room by any chance to know what kind of power requirements you have for a system? Remember also that this speaker is a line source and the drop off in SPL with distance will be much less than you would have with a point source of the same sensitivity. Your 89db line soure will behave more like a 92db point source. I am asking because I suspect that you won't need 99.9% of the time more than 100 watts and 95% of the time not more than about 10 watts...unless you listen really loud.

Dear Brad, it is not about need. It is about headroom for musical ease and absence of compression or hardening. See MikeL posts to this effect. (I have the same view on this.)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Brad, it is not about need. It is about headroom for musical ease and absence of compression or hardening. See MikeL posts to this effect. (I have the same view on this.)

So do I. In fact Berning distributor recommends 200w quadrature over the 30w for horns. Avant-garde uses 150w amps to run their trios. Henk puts in 2 kw. Though for horns I am ok with less

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I think the Joule Electras are Class A OTL. (...)

Surely not with your panels! There is limit for the bias current of the 4x 6C33 per polarity - probably something around 1-2 amps .

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
In order to debate class A we must know the impedance curve of the loudspeaker. Class A is limited by the current needs of the loudspeaker.

Correct,with the exception of Single Ended circuits,which are running ,and cannot leave class A

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

Bonzo75 said:
So do I. In fact Berning distributor recommends 200w quadrature over the 30w for horns. Avant-garde uses 150w amps to run their trios. Henk puts in 2 kw. Though for horns I am ok with less

Hello Ron, Bonzo...

Headroom and musical ease are not synonymous concepts. I’ve heard a lot of high-headroom amp/speaker combinations that nevertheless feel rigid, restrictive, inert and as if the notes themselves are clinging to the surface of the driver. The latter was a noticeable feature of a number of rooms in Munich, despite the cubic area of the rooms. I won’t mention those specific cases, but nevertheless, personally believe musical ease has more to do with energy propagation and curation than headroom per se. That is, power supply matters more than sheer number of watts, even in cases in which the speaker has relatively low sensitivity/efficiency. Of course, that’s just my opinion and I appreciate perspectives may differ.

Best,

853guy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Ron, Bonzo...

Headroom and musical ease are not synonymous concepts. I’ve heard a lot of high-headroom amp/speaker combinations that nevertheless feel rigid, restrictive, inert and as if the notes themselves are clinging to the surface of the driver. The latter was a noticeable feature of a number of rooms in Munich, despite the cubic area of the rooms. I won’t mention those specific cases, but nevertheless, personally believe musical ease has more to do with energy propagation and curation than headroom per se. That is, power supply matters more than sheer number of watts, even in cases in which the speaker has relatively low sensitivity/efficiency. Of course, that’s just my opinion and I appreciate perspectives may differ.

Best,

853guy

Not saying more power will always result in more ease

We want both, quality watts with power. Like Mike has.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How does the KR Kronzilla DX sound compared to Jadis JA200 Mk. II?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Some speakers are just married better with solid stage amp whether the manufacturer wants to say or not.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
KR is going to be closer to the OTL in sonic signature that you don't prefer.

Btw, if this refers to the perceived thinness, then KR has great Midbass and fullness. And OTL are not thin either

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
let's see. looks like these are your check lists;

List A; non-negotiables.

tubes, class A, 150+ watts, smooth and edge free and a bit forgiving, a 'sound' you love.

List B; integration.

linear enough in the upper and mid bass under duress to integrate perfectly with the active solid state powered bass towers,

List C; intangibles.

enough authority for great 1st watt on Gryphon panels, current state of art refinement, lively, low noise, ultra detail.

----a few good to great List A choices, but List A with B get's tougher, then with A + B + all of C get's even tougher.

have fun Ron.

I think there are some valid points here - but will say that Gryphon's amp paired with Pendragon is the Mephisto which is 175 watts Class A. So I would imagine that P/P Class A tube probably works well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing