Switzerland

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, don’t give him any more ideas LOL

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
IMHO, the amps that Ron should consider are the ones that he has listened to in his own room and with his speakers. All else is a recipe for disappointment...again IMHO.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Ron has already decided to buy NAT Magmas he just doesn't know it yet (or maybe he does)

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
It does not have to be more complicated than this one:
Absolare Signature Integrated.

I have had a lot of very good amplifiers, but this integrated is very, very special. If an integrated amp is an option for Ron, that I do not know. This amp and Rockport gets BOS in Munich every year, well deserved.

I have had mine for 1,5 years now, a great match with my Kawero speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually if the NAT drive the Pendragon like the Transmitters drove Analysis omega Ron will be fine

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It does not have to be more complicated than this one:
Absolare Signature Integrated.

I have had a lot of very good amplifiers, but this integrated is very, very special. If an integrated amp is an option for Ron, that I do not know. This amp and Rockport gets BOS in Munich every year, well deserved.

I have had mine for 1,5 years now, a great match with my Kawero speakers.

Thank you! But I am interested only in an all-tube amplifier. Your speakers I think are 92 dB sensitivity; mine are 89 dB sensitivity.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron has already decided to buy NAT Magmas he just doesn't know it yet (or maybe he does)

Dejan is delightful and I like very much NAT sound, but I am concerned about almost 2,000 volts into that GM-100 filament. If that tube shorts or has a runaway of some sort it could (likely would) fry my ribbon driver.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Actually if the NAT drive the Pendragon like the Transmitters drove Analysis omega Ron will be fine

+1

And I think the Pendragon will be an easier load than the Omega.

Kedar, did you ever hear and compare NAT versus Jadis on any Analysis Audio or Magnepan speaker?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

This is very kind and thoughtful of you, Brad. I appreciate it!

But if we eliminate Class AB operation and anything with transistors and specify at least 100 watts I think that leaves CAT JL7 and Statements -- two excellent candidates! (I would prefer the JL7 over the 6650-tubed Statement.)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ron,

has the Gryphon designer felt bass integration with particular tube amplifiers to be any sort of issue? or suggested any parameters to keep in mind?

will just any sort of tube amp sound 'of a piece' with the bass amps and towers?

I know this subject came up, but cannot recall what the answer was and could not find that info when I looked. so sorry if I'm back tracking here. it just seems with all this idle talk about various tube amps, they can't all integrate equally. and this issue has got to be a strong determining factor I would think.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ron,

has the Gryphon designer felt bass integration with particular tube amplifiers to be any sort of issue? or suggested any parameters to keep in mind?

will just any sort of tube amp sound 'of a piece' with the bass amps and towers?

I know this subject came up, but cannot recall what the answer was and could not find that info when I looked. so sorry if I'm back tracking here. it just seems with all this idle talk about various tube amps, they can't all integrate equally. and this issue has got to be a strong determining factor I would think.

I too am curious to know what Flemming thinks.

Ron FWIW, the only other super-experienced audiophile i know who might have some insight here on this is 'Mihalis' by his moniker on AGon. He owned the earlier 4-tower reference Gryphon speakers (Poseiden) for many years, and ran the main towers with Gryphon Colossseum monos (again, self-powered tower subs) but he also quite often drove the main towers with Wavac 833 Mk II monos.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I too am curious to know what Flemming thinks.

Ron FWIW, the only other super-experienced audiophile i know who might have some insight here on this is 'Mihalis' by his moniker on AGon. He owned the earlier 4-tower reference Gryphon speakers (Poseiden) for many years, and ran the main towers with Gryphon Colossseum monos (again, self-powered tower subs) but he also quite often drove the main towers with Wavac 833 Mk II monos.

From time to time I find myself introducing WAVAC in Hifishark ... :eek:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

Flemming was not disconcerted when I told him I would be driving the ribbon panels with VTL MB-750s. I think this may be partly because he has some respect for big VTLs due to the fact that Andy Payor used VTL Siegfrieds for some period of time before he switched to Gryphon Audio amplifiers.

We did not discuss specific tube amp parameters, but I think that Flemming would not bless low or medium power anything, tubes or otherwise. I am also pretty sure Flemming would not bless any SET, if for no other reason than the generally poor distortion measurements of that amplifier topology.

I would not consider for purchase for myself anything below about 150 watts.

To estimate or triangulate on the driver demand of the Pendragon ribbon panel think Genesis rather than Apogee.

The other factor is that I think I'm not particularly sensitive to the kind of lack of integration you are referring to. I am more interested in getting my musical and natural midrange.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
From time to time I find myself introducing WAVAC in Hifishark ... :eek:

Fortunately it is in Singapore - Mihalis is selling his WAVAC Audio HE-833 mkII in Audiogon !!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fortunately it is in Singapore - Mihalis is selling his WAVAC Audio HE-833 mkII in Audiogon !!!

Yes, he has become a big Vitus Masterpiece Ref Series fan.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Flemming was not disconcerted when I told him I would be driving the ribbon panels with VTL MB-750s. I think this may be partly because he has some respect for big VTLs due to the fact that Andy Payor used VTL Siegfrieds for some period of time before he switched to Gryphon Audio amplifiers.

We did not discuss specific tube amp parameters, but I think that Flemming would not bless low or medium power anything, tubes or otherwise. I am also pretty sure Flemming would not bless any SET, if for no other reason than the generally poor distortion measurements of that amplifier topology.

I would not consider for purchase for myself anything below about 150 watts.

To estimate or triangulate on the driver demand of the Pendragon ribbon panel think Genesis rather than Apogee.

I would expect that were you to have 5 different tube amplifiers, there would be 5 different degrees of bass integration perception, no doubt some of these 5 would be quite similar. tube amps all do the upper and mid bass slightly differently. and when pushed these differences will be more pronounced.

whereas 5 solid state amplifiers of relatively similar power output are likely going to predictably integrate quite if not perfectly seamlessly.

are these big issues? maybe not. it depends on what your expectations are for nearly $400k worth of amps and speakers.

and the only reason I brought this up to begin with is the quite 'non-linear' if beautiful sounding tube amps that were being thrown out there for you to consider. those suggestions need to be tempered by whether they can effectively integrate.

I know in my own system, until I was able to attain seamless integration I had a collection of nice pieces, but not what I hear now. all that dynamic capability comes with higher demands on precision. moon shots off by a degree miss by hundreds or thousands of miles.

hopefully the designer will tell you that i'm wrong, and this is a non-issue. which is why I asked what he thought.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would expect that were you to have 5 different tube amplifiers, there would be 5 different degrees of bass integration perception, no doubt some of these 5 would be quite similar. tube amps all do the upper and mid bass slightly differently. and when pushed these differences will be more pronounced.

whereas 5 solid state amplifiers of relatively similar power output are likely going to predictably integrate quite if not perfectly seamlessly.

are these big issues? maybe not. it depends on what your expectations are for nearly $400k worth of amps and speakers.

and the only reason I brought this up to begin with is the quite 'non-linear' if beautiful sounding tube amps that were being thrown out there for you to consider. those suggestions need to be tempered by whether they can effectively integrate.

I know in my own system, until I was able to attain seamless integration I had a collection of nice pieces, but not what I hear now. all that dynamic capability comes with higher demands on precision. moon shots off by a degree miss by hundreds or thousands of miles.

hopefully the designer will tell you that i'm wrong, and this is a non-issue. which is why I asked what he thought.

Integration of the ribbon panels with the bass towers definitely is NOT a non-issue. You are totally correct to raise this issue. I can theorize and research and plot and plan all I want but until I get amplifier candidates connected I won't know much for sure.

The only thing I am sure of is that the VTLs will work well. Whether they will work ideally remains to be seen (ah, heard).

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Vac 450 IQ Statements:) You wont have to worry about the ribbons

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing