Melody MN845 Tube Amplifiers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
KeithR has given me yet another interesting lead.

Melody MN845, distributed by Angel City Audio:

https://www.angelcityaudio.com/products/melody-valve-hifi/mn845/

This amplifier is Class A, push-pull using four 845 tubes to produce 150 watts:

image.jpg

Has anybody heard these amplifiers?

How do they sound compared to other Class A, push-pull tube amplifiers?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

View attachment 37042

Those look good. Ron, do you know how much power you will need as a minimum to drive your speakers in your room and to a level that you desire? If you do, I would suggest looking at the lowest power option that you can utilize and one that if a) uses tubes...the minimum # of tubes per channel, and b) if ss, one from a manufacturer who has a long history with ss designs.
One of my a’phile friends was telling me yesterday that there is a big difference between a boutique/ small manufacturer and a garage one man operation... to which I highly agree. Generally, he was saying that most a’philes do not recognize the difference...and usually pay a price later on with the choice that they make ( if it is the latter).
This is something that, imho, we should all be aware of and take into consideration when we purchase our gear.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Those look good. Ron, do you know how much power you will need as a minimum to drive your speakers in your room and to a level that you desire? If you do, I would suggest looking at the lowest power option that you can utilize and one that if a) uses tubes...the minimum # of tubes per channel, and b) if ss, one from a manufacturer who has a long history with ss designs.
One of my a’phile friends was telling me yesterday that there is a big difference between a boutique/ small manufacturer and a garage one man operation... to which I highly agree. Generally, he was saying that most a’philes do not recognize the difference...and usually pay a price later on with the choice that they make ( if it is the latter).
This is something that, imho, we should all be aware of and take into consideration when we purchase our gear.

I understand your perspective that the "sweet spot" of an amplifier line is usually in the lower power products. I might be able to be persuaded of that with higher sensitivity, dynamic driver speakers. However, for unconventional drivers (ribbons, electrostatic panels, et cetera) I believe that what seems like "excess" power is actually a very good thing for dynamics and for avoiding musical strain.

I agree 100% on the manufacturer distinction. I have no interest in one man band, home garage operations. (I am holding there a possible exception only for Joule Electra VZN-220s.)

I want to try Danny's Einstein Silver Bullet OTL Mk. IIs on the Pendragons but I would not seriously consider for actual purchase anything below about 150 watts.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

A dealer in Thailand have these on sales at the moment. This brand uses Western Electric tubes except for the top of the line 60w Everest with very big tube I think 212 clone. He tried the Everest with Vox Olympian and said they sound very “sweet.” Melody is an Australian brand but manufacture in China.

E243BD48-CC62-4C18-8BB8-92A1977E3FFA.jpeg

I saw the actual one. It looks really good beautifully made.

Kind regards,
Tang

• Love
Reactions: No Regrets

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I understand your perspective that the "sweet spot" of an amplifier line is usually in the lower power products. I might be able to be persuaded of that with higher sensitivity, dynamic driver speakers. However, for unconventional drivers (ribbons, electrostatic panels, et cetera) I believe that what seems like "excess" power is actually a very good thing for dynamics and for avoiding musical strain.

I agree 100% on the manufacturer distinction. I have no interest in one man band, home garage operations. (I am holding there a possible exception only for Joule Electra VZN-220s.)

I want to try Danny's Einstein Silver Bullet OTL Mk. IIs on the Pendragons but I would not seriously consider for actual purchase anything below about 150 watts.

The most obvious amp given your power requirements would be the appropriate model from Gryphon.
If you want to stick with a tube amp, and I cannot blame you there, then I would suggest a CAT amp. The latest CAT amps use the new KT150’s, which I have found to be a superb sounding tube. ( which is why Ken is using them as well).
Although the bigger CAT’s give off a fair amount of heat, I would definitely pick them over the same output Jadis amps, or for that matter any other high powered tube amp.
BTW, if you are also considering ss, I would suggest the D’Agostino Momentum’s...they have a sound that is towards the tube side of things and have tremendous drive capability. Might be an excellent match up to your speakers.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Are any of our members currently using this 845 amplifier?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Ron you might want to try the KR Audio VA200 <wink>

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron you might want to try the KR Audio VA200 <wink>

That looks very cool! Thanks for that great idea, Jack!

Reactions: jazzdude99

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a pair Ron. Smooth as silk. Really luscious partnered with the KR P135 preamp with 45 tubes. They should be excellent with your iO.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I had listened to Melody pre amp during Pacific Audiofest last year which sounds very nice.

I may get a chance to listen to this amp this year.

Why not come to Pacific Audiofest this year?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Are any of our members currently using this 845 amplifier?
A friend of mine was using mono 845 amps below until recently. There are two 845 tubes for channel/amp and produce 75watts. It’s a very good sounding amp, he had no complaints but wanted a better thing for a long time. He recently replaced them with more powerful (50watts) Kondo Kagura mono blocks which are another league. I heard a couple of 845 amps. Nagra, mastersound, Line Magnettic, komuro, melody, NAF etc. IMHO Komuro and NAF were better than the others. The problem with 845 amp is the tube itself. NOS 845 tubes are unobtainable and you are limited to Chinese 845 tubes. You can never ever get the top performance without NOS tubes. Never, sorry...
version=1&uuid=A256665B-4D05-425C-B450-D710C9039D53&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
version=1&uuid=C736FCB8-9D81-4673-A60F-707CFD744B2C&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
Another friend has Air Tight ATM-3211 mono blocks. It has two 211 tubes for channel/amp and produce 120watts. It’s not as refined, powerful, detailed as Kagura but still a very good amplifier. More importantly you can use NOS 211 tubes with it. Don’t get me wrong it’s a very good sounding amplifier, it’s not something like Cary 211 mono blocks, I still take it over any amplifier except Kondo.
409113D5-B839-4C4D-ABF5-0845D210F2D6.jpeg

I recommend forgetting about 845 amps and aiming all NOS tubed ATM-3211 mono blocks if you need a powerful amplifier. IMHO low powered SETs are better if your speaker is sensitive enough.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A friend of mine was using mono 845 amps below until recently. There are two 845 tubes for channel/amp and produce 75watts. It’s a very good sounding amp, he had no complaints but wanted a better thing for a long time. He recently replaced them with more powerful (50watts) Kondo Kagura mono blocks which are another league. I heard a couple of 845 amps. Nagra, mastersound, Line Magnettic, komuro, melody, NAF etc. IMHO Komuro and NAF were better than the others. The problem with 845 amp is the tube itself. NOS 845 tubes are unobtainable and you are limited to Chinese 845 tubes. You can never ever get the top performance without NOS tubes. Never, sorry...
View attachment 110994
Another friend has Air Tight ATM-3211 mono blocks. It has two 211 tubes for channel/amp and produce 120watts. It’s not as refined, powerful, detailed as Kagura but still a very good amplifier. More importantly you can use NOS 211 tubes with it. Don’t get me wrong it’s a very good sounding amplifier, it’s not something like Cary 211 mono blocks, I still take it over any amplifier except Kondo.
I recommend forgetting about 845 amps and aiming all NOS tubed ATM-3211 mono blocks if you need a powerful amplifier. IMHO low powered SETs are better if your speaker is sensitive enough.

Good feedback. How did the Airtight, NAF, and Komuro compare to each other, and to the Kagura?

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Good feedback. How did the Airtight, NAF, and Komuro compare to each other, and to the Kagura?
IMHO in descending order: Kagura, ATM-3211, Komuro 845, NAF 845.
I prefer Komuro 212 over Komuro 845 because you can still get NOS 212 tubes and it’s 50watts of SET.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO in descending order: Kagura, ATM-3211, Komuro 845, NAF 845.
I prefer Komuro 212 over Komuro 845 because you can still get NOS 212 tubes and it’s 50watts of SET.

But you still prefer Kagura to the Komuro 212.

The Kagura was with stock valves?

Does adding Amperex or WE or United to Airtight change the balance to make it better than Kagura stock?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why do you not like the Cary 211? What about the old Cary 1610?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
But you still prefer Kagura to the Komuro 212.

The Kagura was with stock valves?
Exactly. It’s (Kagura) better even with stock tubes. Also gives the impression of being more powerful than electrically more powerful counterparts I mentioned earlier.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Exactly. It’s (Kagura) better even with stock tubes. Also gives the impression of being more powerful than electrically more powerful counterparts I mentioned earlier.

Interesting as a friend prefers Amperex on the Kagura as well as the others to stock. However he had to rebias accordingly.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Why do you not like the Cary 211? What about the old Cary 1610?
There is nothing wrong with Cary 211 and I like it but ATM-3211 is head and shoulders above it. I wanted to point out ATM-3211s being good rather than Cary 211s being bad.

I haven’t heard Cary 1610 yet.

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Interesting as a friend prefers Amperex on the Kagura as well as the others to stock. However he had to rebias accordingly.
There is a misunderstanding. Of course Amperex or even GE on Kagura sound better than stock. I said on my prior post that Kagura with stock tubes is better than other amps with NOS I mentioned

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing