Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does digital room correction and equalization make all speakers sound the same?

Does digital room correction and equalization make all speakers sound the same?

An evaluation of ten different speakers of ten different brands, with and without Dirac Live, by a panel of three different trained listeners is in progress here:
    https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/av...-results.1640/

Flavio
    Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Nope There's more to it than FR at a mic's position. No doubt DRC can help, just not THAT much.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Addicted to Best!
    Jack just nailed it!
    Kevin

No, won't happen because music reproduction and SQ don't rely solely on the Frequency Response profile.

They rely a lot also on how transients, especially attack transients are reproduced. EQ cannot correct deficiencies there (but can introduce more). Furthermore, how attack transients are reproduced are also a function of the hardware limitations in the speaker sets.

I'd also strongly recommend people work on organic, acoustic isolation rather than head for DSP processing straight away.
    Dedicated Audio lines | DSD256 | Audirvana+ | IFI IDSD Nano | DIY Single-Ended Triode Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    maybe it will make those speakers sound the same....

but how 10 sets of likely decent bang-for-the-buck, but none-the-less mid fi, speakers and electronics sound is just not telling us much about anything.

no one pushing for ultimate sound is getting near that gear. but as a way to make particular price points a step better (or less confused) this is relevant. you are more likely to find 'gross' levels of challenging room conditions with more entry level gear and systems. and it might be more cost efficient to throw DRC at these situations than higher cost gear.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    The few spectra shown without Dirac evidence a general wide prominent large peak excess of 10-15 dB between 100 and 200 Hz - probably due to room interaction. Such excess will probably affect speaker performance significantly - in such poor circumstances I can easily admit that Dirac can improve sound quality.
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

considering that DRC generally works on a target curve that is taste inspired .. no .....even if you use the same target curve on different speakers , their flavour comes thru anyway.
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Addicted to Best!
    A study that I put on my forum concluded that the thing that makes speakers most desirable for most people is have great off-axis response as well as flat frequency response. Different speakers behave differently depending on their placement and toe-in. Optimizing one and putting another in its place will likely not be optimum for the second one. Polar responses vary as back-waves are different. Diffraction due to cabinet shape is also an issue making one different from another. Crossover points and the quality of crossover components (inductors, caps, resistors) will make a huge difference in the SQ. Another thing is dynamic response. None of these things are addressed by room/speaker correction. It's useful IMO to eliminate bad room resonances, but there are other equally effective ways to do this, such as aiming the listener into a corner.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    An evaluation of ten different speakers of ten different brands, with and without Dirac Live, by a panel of three different trained listeners is in progress here:
    https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/av...-results.1640/

Flavio
    Hey cool link there; I recognize few distributors/contributors/sellers/posters.

Timbre matching is obviously best performed by having identical speakers all around. If absolutely impossible, THX over imposed with Dirac Live could be an alternative. Not 100% sure though.

We all know that each loudspeaker's position produce a different acoustic sound.
    And what we hear @ the main listening sweet spot is relative to those speaker's position in that acoustic environment. Other listening positions have variable bass content and high frequencies' differentiations.

EQ is also time arrival from each speaker @ the listener(s) ears on cue (equal time) and coherence.
    Can Dirac Live do that? That's the goal.

I've read some from some other sites, regarding Dirac Live implementation in some of them audio products that espoused it. ...With more or less success.

Different mid-range and tweeter drivers have different sound properties, characteristics, acoustical propagation. Can magic make them sound equally the same? If DSP can do that then the future might look just a little brighter. Short of that we simply buy eleven the same speakers (7.1.4) ... maybe not the ones on/in the ceiling. ...Not if the seven ones @ ear level are from the full range tower variety. And then we let the magic of DSP performs its stuff; EQuing in time and frequency domain in tandem with room's acoustics...digital filters.

I just had a brief look to your link...I will observe the rest of it; you never know...they probably omitted important parameters in that Dirac Live comparison business analysis.

Good question and good link sharing Flavio. I'm looking forward to learn more, with good exchanges and common sharing. It's good to be biased, that way we know we are not perfect.

Cheers,
    Bob

* I'm here to learn, from the best.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 11-06-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Said differently, two speakers that measure extremely flat in anechoic chamber can sound, image and engage very differently from each other (even very expensive speakers) for many of the reasons stated.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Outlets and PC's. Star ground system.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Signature Ascona MKII and TA-9000 Tonearm. Lyra Atlas.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Preamp and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Design by Acoustic Frontiers. RPG Bass Plates, RPG Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom built Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast