Thor: Ragnarok

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

That looks ... quite busy. It also plays in 3D.
I like Cate Blanchett's (Hela) outfit, and the hat.
It has great reviews, very high up.
Good because the two previous ones were lacking, IMO
And the 3D effects were mediocre.

Are you a Thor fan? ...About Hulk?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think the first two were mediocre. They tried to be serious but just couldn't pull it off. I like that with this installment they lightened things up with more humor and more vivid cinematography.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I found this quite enjoyable, and this is from someone who did not like the Guardians of the galaxy and avengers.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ I always liked the images for Tattoo but totally detested the music.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^Bob, you must like wearing a penis ring for fun.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And then Bob sings, it burns burns burns, the ring of fire

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I admit, I'm a movie fan, a film buff, a cinema aphrodisiac...

Thor, the first two films I have on Blu-ray 3D; I agree with Jack's above comment, they are both mediocre @ best. And the 3D effects are inferior, very.
But this new Thor ... Ragnarok, the third installment, which I did not see, only some trailers and read few 3D reviews, looks and sounds awesome. Plus it follows the new cash machine in Hollywood...super heroes are supposed to be fun, and not serious. So it has that new cachet; humor, to attract the cash.
Personally I'm all in with this mentality. Like Jack said, the previous two Thor films were taking themselves too seriously and missing big hammer time the essence of comic books. The acting was bad, and technically they missed the 3D mark despicably.

Now, having said that, my honest opinion out of the way, that opening from David Fincher's film (bonus added just to compare 'Immigrant Song' from Led Zep), the video montage and the music accompanying it, of the film 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' (the remake starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara); it is fantastically and artistically well executed...I like it very much, and I got that Blu-ray of course.

Taste we all have, love we all have; the level of intensity varies from one of us to the next one of them. It is life that we were born with; everything we can change @ will. We're completely free in our emotions when it comes to personal taste in music and in films. ...And in everything else. :b

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I like the film also Bob not the Zepp cover. I'm also disappointed that DF didn't take on the other films as Ive mentioned before, especially in seeing who they would have cast to play the stepbrother.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like the film also Bob not the Zepp cover. I'm also disappointed that DF didn't take on the other films as Ive mentioned before, especially in seeing who they would have cast to play the stepbrother.

Hi Ron, there are no rings above my head and below my belt. :D

Can you refresh my memory on David Fincher's not wanting to do the full trilogy, and the actors who would have been casted?

I might go to the theater and watch Thor, in 3D.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Can you refresh my memory on David Fincher's not wanting to do the full trilogy, and the actors who would have been cast
I assume Mara and Craig would have been back. That was my ? Who would play the stepbrother? There was some interview were he feigned disinterest. Aren't they. looking to film a non Larson book next?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have no idea Ron, that's why I was asking.

By the way, that film 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' is very a propos with the latest actual real news. ...Hollywood and the Weinstein's sordid affairs. Re-watch that montage opening video with the music, in that context; it strikes a penetrable chord, dark and poignant.

___

Now, we're back to 'climate change': Thor: Ragnarok :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And then Bob sings, it burns burns burns, the ring of fire

It's a great 3D animated flick; highly recommended.
Overall: 86 (out of 100)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Loved it, its a funny entertaining predictable movie about Super Heroes saving the Universe in 3D, like they should all be.
Civil War was a complete and total steaming turd and got so pissed at the political crap in that one I almost walked out.
One of my clients is heavily involved in the production of the Marvel series and he told me they are booked out 8 years and are building a complete studio in Georgia specifically for Marvel movies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing