Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New M1 Arriving

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Fantastic! Really looking forward to feedback on these speakers and this system.
    It’s going to be a very interesting comparison for me to compare these to the Nola Concert Grands to compare a line source of ribbons and cones to the “bending wave” transducer of the Gobels.

The upper harmonic detail of the Gobel is already amazing with less than a day of burn in and not setup where they need to go. As much as I want I really don’t like to do a serious listen “right out of the box” as despite the naysayers regarding break in if I made any judgment right out of the box my Nolas would have come and gone the first day instead of what turned into one of the best journeys in my audiophile life. Having said that my “initial impressions” of upper harmonics on this is like nothing I have heard. We shall see.

Our plan is to spend most of the day tomorrow with 48 hours on them getting placement close to perfect for my room then leveling the speakers and removing the gliders and planting them with the feet where they belong.

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    It’s going to be a very interesting comparison for me to compare these to the Nola Concert Grands to compare a line source of ribbons and cones to the “bending wave” transducer of the Gobels.

The upper harmonic detail of the Gobel is already amazing with less than a day of burn in and not setup where they need to go. As much as I want I really don’t like to do a serious listen “right out of the box” as despite the naysayers regarding break in if I made any judgment right out of the box my Nolas would have come and gone the first day instead of what turned into one of the best journeys in my audiophile life. Having said that my “initial impressions” of upper harmonics on this is like nothing I have heard. We shall see.

Our plan is to spend most of the day tomorrow with 48 hours on them getting placement close to perfect for my room then leveling the speakers and removing the gliders and planting them with the feet where they belong.
    Today I can announce that the speakers in Priaptor's listening room are the New Epoque Aeon Fine speakers. These are the first pair in the United States and in fact they will debut at the coming Axpona Show in April. For further details look under the Gobel Forum.
    Bending Wave USA distributors of Gobel High End Loudspeakers and Cables 100 percent made in Germany
    Dealers for CH Precision

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best!
    I just received my C1, L1 and another M1 which I plan on keeping since someone took mine and wont give it back LOL.
    I am going to use this at Axpona and just un boxed them and set them up to burn in at my office with the Gobel cables.
    CH does a really nice job of packing and shipping.
    Bending Wave USA distributors of Gobel High End Loudspeakers and Cables 100 percent made in Germany
    Dealers for CH Precision

Just in case you may have missed it, Roy Gregory used the L1 and M1 for his recent review of the Wilson Benesch Resolution speakers on The Audio Beat and seems to have been extremely impressed by them.

I got to play around with an M1 a bit today. It sounds like a pretty good amp. The adjustable global feedback is interesting to play with. There are benefite to higher and lower, which makes it odd for chosing. I will be able to comment a bit more in a few weeks when I get to play some more and burn in is more. It sounds better as just a stereo amp than a great many well known amplifiers, most of which cost more or a lot more.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Interesting to play with indeed especially since gain and feedback go hand in hand and both are adjustable
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

I had the gain down because the speakers are sensitive and I wanted the MSB DAC to run warmer instead of colder.

I would actually hope that they don't play too intimately... to me that's not good.

My understanding is that the interplay is unavoidable as the feedback circuits feed on input gain so some make up (output which is provided) may be required. Ultimately I felt the effect was more on damping than anything else. My speakers are pretty sensitive too thus quick to start and stop. They worked perfectly fine with zero negative feedback and no make up gain. While I experimented in the end I stayed with the default settings.

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

There's -11 to 11 I believe, were you at 0 or -11? Instructions are not clear if -11 is the lowest starting, 24db, or if 24db if at 0.

Zero feedback was definitely wrong sounding. 10% brought life, 30% might be better after burn in but was a give and take with 10% between better instruments on 30% and better vocals on 10%. The 30% could be good for vocals to, as it showed more character, but it was a little tight feeling probably cause of a lack of burn in. 100% was actually fun but made a lot of music sound too clinical, and the bass was way to tight, unrealistically. Anything sounded weird with feedback for the first few minutes.

For the duration of burn in I was going between 10 and 20%. I added some make up gain and that seemed to have eased the L1 preamp a bit. After a couple of hundred hours, I found the sound a tad over damped and went back down to zero which at the beginning was under damped and a bit fuzzy in places because of traces of overhang. As it is speaker dependent, I wonder what settings I will eventually end up with with Big Blues. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may end up maybe 10% and two clicks up on the gain as the midrange drivers might need a touch more BEMF. We'll see. The process is akin to tube rolling in a way. Mullards on one end, Teles on the other. I'm kind of an Amperex/Valvo guy so I have to find that spot in between

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast