Jadis JA-200 Mk. II Amplifiers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you.

How do you compare and contrast the Jadis with the NAT Magmas?

How would you describe the differences in their midranges?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks. What are they calling "latest models"? I have emailed them in the past more than once (in french, bien sur) concerning mk2 and mk3 versions and always got the answer "some passives parts" and mechanical hardware changes (it seems to mean connectors) to please our international distributors.

Do you know if they already sell a point-to-point wired DA7?

Micro, I don't know about the DA7, but I can tell you, if you have not heard the latest generation of Jadis amps, you have not heard Jadis amps. Unlike the amps of yore, they are far far more refined, far more resolving and a lot more neutral. As an example, the old JA 30 was way less resolving, way less capable in the bass, less dynamic and less powerful than the new JA30Mk2.
Same thing holds for the new JA 80Mk2 vs. the older model.
BTW, the Mk 3's are actually the older models and made for the US only ( go figure??)...it's the new Mk 2's that are the latest models.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro, I don't know about the DA7, but I can tell you, if you have not heard the latest generation of Jadis amps, you have not heard Jadis amps. Unlike the amps of yore, they are far far more refined, far more resolving and a lot more neutral. As an example, the old JA 30 was way less resolving, way less capable in the bass, less dynamic and less powerful than the new JA30Mk2.
Same thing holds for the new JA 80Mk2 vs. the older model.

Probably - although I listened to a few more "upgraded" units - mainly using Vcap teflon capacitors and SCR top capacitors since long. Do you have any photos of the underside of the new Jadis amplifiers?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you.

How do you compare and contrast the Jadis with the NAT Magmas?

How would you describe the differences in their midranges?

Jadis might have better mids but they are different. Nat will have more flow. Will play piano better. Nice Midbass. Less air. Less color.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I would be extremely interested to get info about what Calmettes did to make them more reliable. Really honestly.

Me too--I've owned Defy 7--blown power transformer within one year--DA60 kept taking out the 150 Ohm resistors across the tubes-- JA 100's--better but sorta like

when rather than if they fail--( I'll duo Steve here and say you say a prayer every time you switch them on!:p).

I gather from a Tech that works on them--they are put out with the maximum ratings on the Components --his words

" They are an accident waiting to happen "

Indeed pity as they are great sonically--but you need to heed the ramifications noted--

VTL's--I Don't care much for them--too slow--they give me the impression they are struggling to keep up with the Music :(

YVMV

BruceD

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Me too--I've owned Defy 7--blown power transformer within one year--DA60 kept taking out the 150 Ohm resistors across the tubes-- JA 100's--better but sorta like

when rather than if they fail--( I'll duo Steve here and say you say a prayer every time you switch them on!:p).

I gather from a Tech that works on them--they are put out with the maximum ratings on the Components --his words

" They are an accident waiting to happen "

Indeed pity as they are great sonically--but you need to heed the ramifications noted--

VTL's--I Don't care much for them--too slow--they give me the impression they are struggling to keep up with the Music :(

YVMV

BruceD

Bruce, I certainly hope that the new models are more reliable. I knew the Defy 7 had a lot of issues, heard the JA 100’s and the JA 200’s were iffy, did not know about the DA60, although this had the same basic boards etc as the Defy 7. The current amps are pretty new to the market, and hopefully Jean-Christophe Calmettes is on top of this aspect. (Reliability).
Btw, the transformers are warranted for life, of course that assumes that the company is still in existence :rolleyes:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

JA 100's--better but sorta like

. . . VTL's--I Don't care much for them--too slow--they give me the impression they are struggling to keep up with the Music :(

BruceD

Hello Bruce,

So you found the Jadis JA-100s to sound "faster" than which VTLs? (VTLs, as with Jadis, I gather, have gotten "faster" and more neutral over time.)

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
i find the vtl amps a little slow as well.
the preamps are great however.
jadis is coloured, the newer models are more neutral.
the colour is nice though, like honey!
transparency and resolution can be tiring over time....
but you can smooth that out with cabling of course.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How does the Jadis JA-200 Mk. II Class A, push-pull amplifier sound compared to the Ayon Orthos XS Class A, push-pull amplifier?

These amplifiers are direct competitors in class of operation, push-pull architecture and power output. Who has experienced a direct comparison?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
i find the vtl amps a little slow as well.
the preamps are great however.
jadis is coloured, the newer models are more neutral.
the colour is nice though, like honey!
transparency and resolution can be tiring over time....
but you can smooth that out with cabling of course.

Another data point!

To which VTL model are to referring? (An MB-450 Series III surely is faster-sounding and more neutral than my MB-750s.)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Bruce, I certainly hope that the new models are more reliable. I knew the Defy 7 had a lot of issues, heard the JA 100’s and the JA 200’s were iffy, did not know about the DA60, although this had the same basic boards etc as the Defy 7. The current amps are pretty new to the market, and hopefully Jean-Christophe Calmettes is on top of this aspect. (Reliability).
Btw, the transformers are warranted for life, of course that assumes that the company is still in existence :rolleyes:

Well I think a HongKong Consortium of some description controls the output now-

-so being aware how the Asian house buyers elect property with no maintenance

I'd say the reliability is (would have to be) definitely improved for the better!:)

Yes the Transformer was replaced FOC but freight on the beast was a killer if I recall.

Overall though like I state sonically extremely musical ( Gallic Flair?) if they just get the stability factor.

BruceD

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hello Bruce,

So you found the Jadis JA-100s to sound "faster" than which VTLs? (VTLs, as with Jadis, I gather, have gotten "faster" and more neutral over time.)

Hi there Ron, My how exciting to read of your trip up/ down the Audiophile highway to your OZ--I've been down that path--just fell into a few potholes on the way!:mad:

I fear to have painted possibly too broad a brush re my comment on the VTL's

--my experiences hark back to 1992 when I first heard pair of early version VTLMonoblocks into

Maggies-it just did not get the music out of the Speaker--nice and listenable but no emotion/snap/dynamic contrasts.

Over the last 25 odd years have heard numerous incarnations/models which ones escape me, but none have moved me to consider in my buying sprees.

Yes I've heard your 750's with Big Wilsons and Vandersteen7's-- very nice but that inherent speed and snap and dynamics I look and listen for just did not occur sadly.

I do agree they are a good product built to a very high standard and do deliver a smooth sound albeit shade "tubey"--for want of better words.

The Jadis sound has I feel more of the qualities I admire and listen for--as I've indicated above--are they better than the VTL?--only the individual comparing

can make that decision--I have not compared in my my own system-so once again purely personal YVMV.

But as you can see from the myriad of Posts and suggestions to your threads-it is your choice and decision on the day--that is all that matters for your listening pleasure

If the VTL's deliver that for you?--then you've avoided one Pothole at least ! ;)

Good Listening and Good luck,

BruceD

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Bruce, for the detailed reply!

I realize the MB-750s are now somewhat elderly. I have heard myself how the Siegfried Series IIs and the MB-450 Series IIIs are more neutral, more extended at both ends of the frequency spectrum, are more dynamic, etc. This is why I am very curious about the latest version of the JA-200 and I am very curious to hear the NAT Magma and, as of today, the Ayon Orthos XS!

I know I will be happy with my VTLs on the Pendragon ribbon panels. But . . . if I can keep the headroom with high power, yet capture more SET "magic" in the midrange . . . and improve dynamics . . . then . . . I want it!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well I think a HongKong Consortium of some description controls the output now-

-so being aware how the Asian house buyers elect property with no maintenance

I'd say the reliability is (would have to be) definitely improved for the better!:)

Yes the Transformer was replaced FOC but freight on the beast was a killer if I recall.

Overall though like I state sonically extremely musical ( Gallic Flair?) if they just get the stability factor.

BruceD

Bruce, I don’t know where you get the idea about the Hong Kong consortium??

As to the musical side, I believe the new Jadis amps are easily the best I have had in my system...and I have had some pretty good amps there.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Purely out of curiosity, did you consider the comparable Ayon Audio amplifier to the JA-30?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
a year ago I was hot on getting tube amplification and briefly looked closely at Jadis, likely the JA80 Mk2. I read an article (might have been attached to a review) that talked quite a bit about some significant changes Jadis had made to improve their quality control and performance. I just searched for that same article but could not find it. it might have been related to a visit to the Jadis factory and some details related to that.

maybe someone has a link?

this one?

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/jadis-ja120-mono-power-amplifiers-hi-fi-90/

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
Another data point!

To which VTL model are to referring? (An MB-450 Series III surely is faster-sounding and more neutral than my MB-750s.)

i have heard both s-200 and s-400mk2.
so both current models.
heard them both on wilsons' ( alexx and alexia 1 ), and thought they sounded slower compared
to the usual arc, gryphon, d'agostino, constellation suspects.
i heard jadis da-88s with sabrina - beautiful combination.
i heard the old vtl double-storey amps a long time ago, when in nyc, but can't really recall the sound. maybe 20 years ago at lyric? or maybe singer?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Ron,

To summarize what others are saying, Jadis will kill your VTL 750. :) :) :) And I am a long-time owner of MBL 750.

And of course, one man's lean tonal balance is another's fully colored tonal balance, and vice versa... unless all of these descriptors are calibrated exactly with yours via many shared experiences, they are meaningless

Get yourself a pair to audition ASAP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing