Jadis JA-200 Mk. II Amplifiers

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
No, I am not underestimating it. I have now burned-in 16 KT150's in cj LP275's and they also sound terrific in these amplifiers - much improved bass! My supposition is that the great difference between old and improved Jadis's is due to the KT150 and the new coupling capacitors from the SCR factory. But I have yet to confirm (or deny...) it.

Oh please tell more about the sound of kt150's in the cj amps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Jadis doesn't use Solen caps.

Surely - but Solen capacitors are manufactured by SCR, the manufacturer of some capacitors used in Jadis equipment - see this JP80.

Attachments

• j1.jpg
    j1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 213

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
OK, I spell it - remove the tubes and play the CD at an high level in the volume control of the preamplifier. The coupling capacitors will get the signal in full and burn-in, as their load are the the output tube grid resistors , still present in the circuit, and your tubes, speakers and ears will be safe meanwhile.

The idea of capacitor burn-in is exciting them with electrical signals, not heating them!

So, I ran this by my local tech and also a local electrical engineering friend....

::::::

:::::

And they both said the same thing........Excellent idea.

IF you want to risk doing serious damage to your amp:eek::eek::eek::(

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
I seem unable to hear a difference between Solen and SCR teflons. The analogy with Blackgate is inappropriate: those were manufactured by Rubycon under license and used a completely different technology to anything Rubycon ever produced.

It is interesting if Jadis do not burn-in the caps before assembly. They might.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In their manual Jadis do not allow operating amps without tubes. Period.

Probably. Most manufacturers include this general warning, but mainly because of input/driver or power supply sections, particularly if they have regulated sections.

Please consider that many times the amplifiers are operating "without" output tubes - when the B+ fuse blows. The amplifiers must be prepared for this condition.

As the cj's have a B+ fuse, I burned in the Teflon capacitors with the output tubes in place without fuse - no plate current, no tube wear! :) ARC's do not have fuses, I had to take the output tubes out.

BTW, some Jadis amplifiers have a standy/power switch - if it is the case just burn-in the coupling capacitors in standby!

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So, I ran this by my local tech and also a local electrical engineering friend....

::::::

:::::

And they both said the same thing........Excellent idea.

IF you want to risk doing serious damage to your amp:eek::eek::eek::(

It would be great if they had explained what damage and why. Can you elucidate us?

I did not invent this idea, experienced people from DIY forums also use it and never reported any problem. The only problem I can think about is with poorly designed amplifiers that have power capacitors with unsafe voltage ratings - not the type of amplifiers I want to own. A power amplifier should not be seriously damaged if it has a fault in a power tube.

BTW Jadis power amplifiers have very simple circuits and high quality components.

The best I know about is Atma-sphere - Ralph Karsten used to pull the tubes of the amplifier while is was playing!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone compared a Jadis amplifier with KT-120 or KT-150 output tubes to a Jadis amplifier with EL-34 output tubes?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Has anyone compared a Jadis amplifier with KT-120 or KT-150 output tubes to a Jadis amplifier with EL-34 output tubes?

I have heard a Jadis with EL 34’s in the past. If it wasn’t for the fact that the new models utilize the KT150’s, I probably would have gone for the model with EL34’s. However, IMO, the new KT150’s are far more wide band and resolving than the older EL’s. Biggest difference to me, and this was very quickly evident, was the major improvement at both ends of the frequency spectrum with the newer KT 150’s. I have not heard a Jadis amp with KT120’s, so cannot comment; except to say that I suspect it would probably be a step up over EL34’s also.

Denver Daniel

Feb 22, 2020
I am looking for a copy of VTL's owners manual for the MB750 Reference mono blocks. Anyone know where I can download it from? Thanks, Daniel

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I did say I had the JA 100 and NAT Magma at the same time at home on the Verity. You cannot really make out anything from compare notes. They are different sounds

Different sounds in what ways?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Different sounds in what ways?

I think these have to be experienced, there is no point describing, which is what I said in my earlier post 6 years ago. I wish I did videos then.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am looking for a copy of VTL's owners manual for the MB750 Reference mono blocks. Anyone know where I can download it from? Thanks, Daniel

Send me a message with your mail address and I will email it to you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing