What is it about the Wilson designs that the speakers are so hard to drive? (excepting Alexandrias)

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
How can you get 20W at 8 ohm from a 7.75V single ended? Do you have an output transformer?

No. The output voltage is not 7.75V. I refered to the voltage at the collector/drain. Output voltage is 12.75V.

So the power should be 20.32W 8Ohms

Or I made a giant f***up during design.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'll take my 32 wpc Pure class A ML3 Signature with my X2's over the big powered amps. I've used both and prefer SET on my Wilson speakers

Steve, that makes perfects sense. However, you are fortunate that your speakers work well with low output amps...plus they do not have a nasty impedance drop for the amp to deal with.
One of my a'phile friends just sold his lower powered amp because his new speakers have a vicious load characteristic that requires a brute of an amp...even though this speaker is using small drivers ( 7-8") in the bass dept.
Most Wilsons that I know of, require a very hefty amp upstream, one that can push an unfriendly load. Also, since most of these models are deigned for a larger room, the partnering amp had better have some serious muscle.
BMCG, I do believe that what i posted above is a major factor. Sure there are some very expensive SET's on the market, but to the --shall we say- "less experienced" hobbyist, they will have less appeal at the dealer than the mega powered amp with the mega price tag. That dealer can now state that the mega powered amp is a perfect match for the Wilson under consideration.:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No. The output voltage is not 7.75V. I refered to the voltage at the collector/drain. Output voltage is 12.75V.

So the power should be 20.32W 8Ohms

Or I made a giant f***up during design.

How do you get 12.75V from 7.75V at the collector/drain? And the expression you quote refers to RMS , supply voltages give you peak values . If you then correct for 1.404 you will get half the power value.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
FIY I have experience with several current Wilson models (Sasha and Alexia) being driven with ease by the Audio Research REF150 ($15k).

The Sabrina can be driven easily by the REF75 or Audio Research integrateds.

A good friend has a great sound with Sasha and the Jadis DA88 integrated.

My still resident conrad johnson MV125 did a wonderful job driving Wilson 5, 7 and Maxx3.

And the conrad johnson SS premier 350 drives all of them with great pleasure.

I do not consider any of them them "mega powered amp with the mega price tag"

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
How do you get 12.75V from 7.75V at the collector/drain? And the expression you quote refers to RMS , supply voltages give you peak values . If you then correct for 1.404 you will get half the power value.

That was my mistake. Sorry.
Thanks for the correction.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Does anyone understand why Wilson speakers sound best with BIG POWER? Anyone understand the designs of most models, and why is Alexandria different?

P.S. Simple question, guys. Enough of the BS, please stay on topic.

I think you need to re-define what is 'so hard to drive' !!

caesar

May 30, 2010
FIY I have experience with several current Wilson models (Sasha and Alexia) being driven with ease by the Audio Research REF150 ($15k).

The Sabrina can be driven easily by the REF75 or Audio Research integrateds.

A good friend has a great sound with Sasha and the Jadis DA88 integrated.

My still resident conrad johnson MV125 did a wonderful job driving Wilson 5, 7 and Maxx3.

And the conrad johnson SS premier 350 drives all of them with great pleasure.

I do not consider any of them them "mega powered amp with the mega price tag"

Hi Microstrip,

Let's leave rock music out of the equation for the moment. Surely the drum snaps playing jazz music sounds crisper and more realistic with high powered SS than with any tube amp? No?

And also, since you have the CJ 350, how does it compare to the newer, more state of the art SS you have hosted?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Microstrip,

Let's leave rock music out of the equation for the moment. Surely the drum snaps playing jazz music sounds crisper and more realistic with high powered SS than with any tube amp? No?

And also, since you have the CJ 350, how does it compare to the newer, more state of the art SS you have hosted?

No one is addressing particular types of music or realistic levels at 10 feet - and what is more realistic in sound reproduction would keep us busy for long.

Paired with a cj preamplfier the permier 350 is still a a great amplifier, powerful, very dynamic and nice sounding. Compared with modern designs such as the Dartzeel NH108 or the Centaur II with their respective preamplifiers it is not as transparent, does not have the fine layering capabilities of them and voices have more grain. The premier 350 performance improves considerably when used with a Trasparent Audio XL Gen V or MM2 power cable.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
FIY I have experience with several current Wilson models (Sasha and Alexia) being driven with ease by the Audio Research REF150

There's no way that's properly driving a speaker with this type of impedance:

1213Walexfig01.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

View attachment 37028

I would also state so looking at the impedance data, but in practice it sounds great! And, supreme blasphemy, some people prefer it on the 8 ohm tap!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's been a while but the 8 Ohm tap was my preference with ARC Ref 250s driving Sasha 1s. Maybe a wee bit less lower frequency articulation but more tonal depth.

Tima, did you drive the Wilson with the Berning quads?

Dr Tone

Apr 24, 2016
I did try my lowly Wilson Sabrina's on the 8ohm tap of McIntosh gear and found there to be more top end sparkle and speed but at a loss of fullness and overall balance. 4 ohm tap for this guy.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net

View attachment 37028

That all depends on what your definition of "properly driving" is. Transformer outputs may not ideally match the impedance and will therefore change the frequency response of the speaker, but they tend to not go into heavy distortion with low impedance. They just don't deliver as much signal/power there. In the case of a more conventional amplifier with very low output impedance, it could easily run out of current driving this speaker load. When the current demands are too much, this will cause less ideal sound from amplifiers increasing distortion and/or causing clipping prematurely as the power supply sags.

On the plus side it lets audiophiles more easily use their amplifiers as tone controls. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) On the plus side it lets audiophiles more easily use their amplifiers as tone controls. :rolleyes:

People have though about it - measuring the frequency response of the tube amplifier loaded with the speaker and reproducing the situation using a SS amplifier with low impedance and an equalizer, more recently even with DSP. Unfortunately it measured alike, but did not sound great, like the tube amplifier did! :)

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
People have though about it - measuring the frequency response of the tube amplifier loaded with the speaker and reproducing the situation using a SS amplifier with low impedance and an equalizer, more recently even with DSP. Unfortunately it measured alike, but did not sound great, like the tube amplifier did! :)

I don't think many are actually measuring the output from the speaker with the amplifier connected, or they don't have a repeatable enough measurement setup with enough fine resolution. I see many saying that "both amps measure flat" but in fact that "flat" measurement is driving a test resistor. I've measured frequency response differences between different solid state amplifiers driving a real speaker. My TEF 25 measurement system using its time and frequency gating is extremely consistent from one measurement to the next, making it very easy to see such changes. In some cases they are very subtle, but some times the electronics can make small, but broad and wide changes that are readily audible. That's not to say there aren't other aspects beyond the frequency response that can be heard, but these are simple technical matters where some degree of frequency response differences should be expected.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
That all depends on what your definition of "properly driving" is. Transformer outputs may not ideally match the impedance and will therefore change the frequency response of the speaker, but they tend to not go into heavy distortion with low impedance. They just don't deliver as much signal/power there. In the case of a more conventional amplifier with very low output impedance, it could easily run out of current driving this speaker load. When the current demands are too much, this will cause less ideal sound from amplifiers increasing distortion and/or causing clipping prematurely as the power supply sags.

On the plus side it lets audiophiles more easily use their amplifiers as tone controls. :rolleyes:

Thanks. That's exactly what I was driving at but said much more eloquently of course.

I have a similar issue with my Focal Maestro speakers (which have an even nastier impedance curve) and it was abundantly clear that my 300W monoblocs weren't driving them properly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing