Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which wire provides the most profound audio improvement to your audiophile hi-fi sound system?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    The answer is interconnects make the most difference as they can do the most harm, a basic/commodity level copper ic will smooth out most of the fine detail in the recording leaving a flat, 2D presentation and lackluster timbre.
    True. I love your silver/gold alloy ZenWave Audio D4 interconnects in my system. And your SMSG speaker cables.

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    +1
    IME, it depends... at RMAF my modded SurgeX has won several awards including best of show, cost no object multiple times. In a setting like that it can indeed make pretty massive differences but in other places it's not as critical, it depends on how noisy your power is to start with.

So in some cases the power cables might make a lot more difference, in others the power conditioner might, and it depends on the components in the system and what the cables and conditioner as the quality varies. I've tested some cables where I thought a standard $2 molded cable would be better, other times it's been a significant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    True. I love your silver/gold alloy ZenWave Audio D4 interconnects in my system. And your SMSG speaker cables.
    Thanks! I try...
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I've tested some cables where I thought a standard $2 molded cable would be better,
    Oh yeah. The cheap stock power chord beat a $ 550 power chord on two DACs we tried it on. The expensive chord made the DACs sound more synthetic! I won't name the name of the company but it was a travesty (it was not one of your power chords, luckily).

Sometimes expensive in audio is not better. There are still those who judge gear by price -- their loss.

Addicted to Best!
    I designed a computer simulation of a simple "rubber" insulated power cord with stranded wiring versus the ROMEX wiring in the wall, which is solid copper with poly insulation.

The results were that the inductance of the 6 foot rubber cord was equal to 30 feet of the in-wall ROMEX.

I summarily build a couple of cords from ROMEX and I still use one for my SS processor. I built even better cords since then. I don't build them anymore.

There are other aspects of the cord that might make it perform better, including multiple smaller twisted-pairs of solid wire (to reduce inductance even more), silver-plated wire (to eliminate oxidation effects), shielding(to eliminate effects on nearby components and other cabling), Teflon insulation (to minimize dielectric absorption "soaking" effect) and filtering using the right amount and types of ferrites depending on the "Q" of the cord.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Nordost ..........overpriced wire.
    Cheers - Dave

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Nordost ..........overpriced wire.
    Thanks for remembering us of your opinion.

But please tell us what cables you think would play better than Odin in an Audio Research, Sonus Faber Aida and Metronome Kalista/C2A system. I had them in my room, tried several cheaper ones, but IMHO none approached the performance of the full loom of Odin.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : cj GAT + cj LP275m's, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Thanks for remembering us of your opinion.

But please tell us what cables you think would play better than Odin in an Audio Research, Sonus Faber Aida and Metronome Kalista/C2A system. I had them in my room, tried several cheaper ones, but IMHO none approached the performance of the full loom of Odin.
    that's nice, so long as you're happy, it's your money I couldn't care less.
    Cheers - Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12