The best tube preamp i had

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In Italy,in Rome live one Indian man,Sarat Dissanayake,that produce i think the best tube preamp in the world and very good amp.
He is very crazy and produce preamp since 50 years
I bought one of his 2 reference preamp he did in his life in 2003,and then stupidly i sold after some years
Was much better than ANJ M10 and top Audio tekne

This is line preamp

IMG_1574.jpg
IMG_1576.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi gian60,

Very interesting! What made the preamp so much better? Do you have any information about how it was built or what its basic design is?

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
You said it was a tube preamp but I don't see any tubes on the audio chassis, just in the power supply. Are the tubes hidden or is the audio circuit solid state?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi there Gian,

I just happened to come across your post, and I think I know why this is the best preamp.

You see the person who made this particular preamp is in fact not from India my friend. On the front plate you can clearly see the symbol of the "Golden Lion holding a sword." That symbol is on our flag! That is the one and only symbol found on a particular kind of flag that is the very foundation and essence of a tiny little island located at the southern tip of India. Yes, this particular country is very close to India but we are not Indian.

In fact we do not like to even call our little nation as being part of India many centuries ago, when we were governed by Kings & queens. Our history is so rich and vibrant, dates back to 300 BC, way before the British invaded our little nation and robbed us from our wealth.
We were known as the Pearl of the Indian Ocean, named by Christopher Columbus. We were also named Serendipity by another explorer.

Fist came the Dutch, then the Portuguese, hence why we have surnames such as Silva, DeSilva & Rodrigo & Fernando. Many decades after the early settlers only did the British arrive and all hell broke loose! That's why the wise man of indigenous heritage always says "white man no good..."

Our little nation fought a hard battle and won back our freedom, in 1948 Feb 11th we gained our independence from British rule.

I personally think that white man is very good! because without white man, there will be no high- end audio!

By the way, the country I referring to is none other than Sri Lanka. and the correct spelling of your friends name is Sarath Dissanayake, whom I also happen to know. He left Colombo many decades ago and migrated to Italy. Good to know he is doing well, especially in the field of electronics. This is the biggest problem we had in our country, we couldn't find good techies because the majority migrated overseas for a better life.

This preamp has to be the best mate, because it's made by a Sri Lankan! we have golden ears...

Cheers Gian and yes you never know how good or valuable something is until you lose it!
big woof, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey RJ, I love Sri Lankan food, actually the string hoppers and lamb kothu roti. Too spicy, like real Thai

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Here is doing the power supply for his new phono.He told me new phono mm and mc without trans because for him trans cut the sound and in this circuit the signal go directly to the tube

2017-11-02-PHOTO-00000002.jpg

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey RJ, I love Sri Lankan food, actually the string hoppers and lamb kothu roti. Too spicy, like real Thai

Hey mate,

Yes, in fact I do have some Lamb kothu in the fridge! Wasn't made from home but at a special shop on high street. Sometimes we put far too much chllie in our curries and you cannot savor the flavor, rather a fire in the house! The last time I had a real hot one, I bolted to the toilet faster than any ribbon/stat ever produced!

In fact it's a funny thing that many Sri Lankan's are VERY proud of their heritage... we are actually descendants from India. Our first King & Queen were from India, all our food including the national dress (an over sized white pyjama) also hails from India. The only thing traditional to our food is the String Hopper, you won't find that anywhere else in the world. India is such a huge and beautiful country, we are always a step behind them... hence they gained Independence in 1947, one year before us. Sadly we've never learned our lesson since and the wealthy are getting more wealthy and the poor are going no where. Another reason we left our beautiful little paradise.

I last visited nearly 10 years ago, and the disparity between the middle class and upper is so huge, it was very upsetting to see unfairness and how the people with better means treat the less fortunate, unbelievable mate!

If and whenever I do visit, I keep it very short about two weeks because that's about all I can tolerate!
And it is very hard to find authentic Sri Lankan food, but when you have tried it, you will know straight away.
Cheers mate and don't eat too many chillies
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
That's the MAN!

Oh wow, what happened to all the hair? I guess as you grow older, the top bit starts to shine... oh no, are we all going in that direction?

Hey Ronnie, how's your hair going? so far looks well pillowed to me! or is that an old photo dating back to fresh off the corporate ladder...

Good photo Gian, I would love to meet him someday mate, a great humble person that we need more of in our mother land.
Cheers, RJ

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Looks like great equipment, few parts, and very reliant on the quality of those parts I assume.

I'm not a stereo designer, but appreciate keeping things simple.

Very often it is hard to keep things simple, and easy to let things be complex.

Such is the art of good design.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Sarath sent to me now a photo of a new line preamp with very low impedance with external tube power supply.
Interesting also this

2018-01-13-PHOTO-00000046.jpg
2018-01-13-PHOTO-00000045.jpg

• Love
Reactions: French Fred

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing