Thread: First real review - Wilson Alexia 2

First real review - Wilson Alexia 2

http://www.soundstageaustralia.com/i...2-loudspeakers

Wilson engineers have weaved some more magic and managed a few more steps closer to sonic perfection with the new Alexia.

I swapped the V1 for the V2 about 2 months ago and after about 100 hours I just got them off the casters and final setup. Still getting to know the subtleties of the change but agree with many points called out...this is not minor upgrade. Very happy I made the switch

i will say the V1s are very very good and I would not be unhappy living with them in my system and they are now IMO a great value for those lucky enough to get a pair

My opinion, having heard both in the same room; Alexia S1 was and still is one off the very best speakers but S2 manages a tad more extension top and bottom, with just the right amount of air and immaculate bass definition, and somehow manages to project a wider, taller, and deeper sound stage. Not only does it completely 'disappear' but when set up just right it's not possible to hear any drive units, let alone transitions between them. This S2 Alexia is possibly Wilson's finest, and one of the finest, period.

Everything is relative of course.

So from where I am sitting, as a Wilson fan, I see that I need to pay at least 30K to upgrade my v1 to v2. That's a lot for me at the moment. With 30K spent somewhere else I think I can make v1 sing better in my current system. I can upgrade my INT-250 with big Pass monoblocks or a Constellation Stereo etc.

The truth is I don't want to hear v2 anytime near soon because I don't want to witness that it's worth the 30K upgrade cost.

I buy the next iPhone every 2 generations just for the same reason.

But I wish the best for members who upgraded theirs since if I had the means for it I wouldn't think twice about it.

Love and respect,

Cagdas
    Digital Source: dCS Rossini CDP + Clock
    Integrated Amp: Pass Labs INT-250
    Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexia
    Signal Cables: Transparent Reference MM2
    Power Cables: Transparent XL Gen 5

I listened to the new Alexias yesterday at Innovative Audio in NYC. These sound more open, a bit more seamless and more transparent than the originals; by the way, I own the originals. They were being driven by the DAG Momentum Pre and S250 amp (same components I own). The new Alexias are winners. I'm sure Wilson will sell a lot of these.

Lastly, the folks at Innovative in NYC were very friendly and very engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    I listened to the new Alexias yesterday at Innovative Audio in NYC. These sound more open, a bit more seamless and more transparent than the originals; by the way, I own the originals. They were being driven by the DAG Momentum Pre and S250 amp (same components I own). The new Alexias are winners. I'm sure Wilson will sell a lot of these.

They have sounded excellent at shows. I need to visit Innovative. It's been too long.
    Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Sources PS Audio Memory Player and DirectStream DAC, VPI Scoutmaster, Lyra Cartridge, Audio Research Ref Phono 2 Amplification Audio Research Ref 5SE & Audio Research VT100 with KT120s/Mundorf EVO Speakers: Magnepan 1.7s Cables Synergistic Research Galileo and Atmosphere UEF Level 4 Power Conditioning Synergistic PowerCell 12 UEF SE, SR & Furutech NCF outlets, various SR and Shunyata ac cables, Shunyata Denali Recording AKG 414 BULS mics, Sound Devices 722

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post

They were friendly and set up the XLF in their 30x15 room to compare VTL and spectral on.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD