First real review - Wilson Alexia 2

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I swapped the V1 for the V2 about 2 months ago and after about 100 hours I just got them off the casters and final setup. Still getting to know the subtleties of the change but agree with many points called out...this is not minor upgrade. Very happy I made the switch

i will say the V1s are very very good and I would not be unhappy living with them in my system and they are now IMO a great value for those lucky enough to get a pair

art vandelay

Nov 1, 2017
My opinion, having heard both in the same room; Alexia S1 was and still is one off the very best speakers but S2 manages a tad more extension top and bottom, with just the right amount of air and immaculate bass definition, and somehow manages to project a wider, taller, and deeper sound stage. Not only does it completely 'disappear' but when set up just right it's not possible to hear any drive units, let alone transitions between them. This S2 Alexia is possibly Wilson's finest, and one of the finest, period.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Everything is relative of course.

So from where I am sitting, as a Wilson fan, I see that I need to pay at least 30K to upgrade my v1 to v2. That's a lot for me at the moment. With 30K spent somewhere else I think I can make v1 sing better in my current system. I can upgrade my INT-250 with big Pass monoblocks or a Constellation Stereo etc.

The truth is I don't want to hear v2 anytime near soon because I don't want to witness that it's worth the 30K upgrade cost.

I buy the next iPhone every 2 generations just for the same reason.

But I wish the best for members who upgraded theirs since if I had the means for it I wouldn't think twice about it.

Love and respect,

Cagdas

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
I listened to the new Alexias yesterday at Innovative Audio in NYC. These sound more open, a bit more seamless and more transparent than the originals; by the way, I own the originals. They were being driven by the DAG Momentum Pre and S250 amp (same components I own). The new Alexias are winners. I'm sure Wilson will sell a lot of these.

Lastly, the folks at Innovative in NYC were very friendly and very engaging.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I listened to the new Alexias yesterday at Innovative Audio in NYC. These sound more open, a bit more seamless and more transparent than the originals; by the way, I own the originals. They were being driven by the DAG Momentum Pre and S250 amp (same components I own). The new Alexias are winners. I'm sure Wilson will sell a lot of these.

They have sounded excellent at shows. I need to visit Innovative. It's been too long.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

They were friendly and set up the XLF in their 30x15 room to compare VTL and spectral on.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just checked A-gon.... there are 12 sets of Alexia Series 1 speakers for sale now! Geez.....

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
And I have one too, that I haven't listed yet :)
Wilson's Certified Pre-Owned program works, people are upgrading.
At the going prices, these Series 1 are actually quite a good deal too...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The March 2018 HiFi News gave it an outstanding recommendation.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Share with you a similar decision made by a good friend of mine in Hong Kong.

He owns Alexia 1, and paired them with ARC Ref10 preamp and Audia Flight No.8 mono poweramps till two months ago. His frontend is dCS Vivaldi 4-pieces.

All of them sre good components but he was still unhappy and wanted to upgrade to Alexia2.

Then he changed his mind and replaced the amps with Constellation Altair II preamp and Centaur II mono amps.
He was so surprised that the new amps have totally transformed the sound.
The Constellations match his Alexia 1 much much better than the ARC/Audia Flight, even though the latter are good components.
He said he won't consider upgrading his Alexianow.and

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Serious qustion, how does Magico rate up against the latest Sasha Daw and Alexia 2? Say for example S5 Mk2 vs Sasha Daw & Magico S7 vs Alexia 2? Just curious as my Dealer doesn't carry Wilson.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
It’s Not a question of league, but of taste...
Fair enough Jpspock. I've only heard good things about the Sasha Daw & Alexia 2. It's a shame my Dealer doesn't carry them, as curiosity killed the cat as they say!

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm a Magico S3 owner, and while I typically enjoy listening to Wilson setups at shows I never considered them replacing my Magico's.

That is until I heard the new Sasha DAW at my local dealer during a launch event they held. I was really impressed and will be returning to give them and the Alexia 2's a critical listen with electronics more matched to my system. With the prices of the Magico M2 and M3, Ill be giving some other brands a listen before funding another upgrade.

Reactions: Lee and Bodhi

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Share with you a similar decision made by a good friend of mine in Hong Kong.

He owns Alexia 1, and paired them with ARC Ref10 preamp and Audia Flight No.8 mono poweramps till two months ago. His frontend is dCS Vivaldi 4-pieces.

All of them sre good components but he was still unhappy and wanted to upgrade to Alexia2.

Then he changed his mind and replaced the amps with Constellation Altair II preamp and Centaur II mono amps.
He was so surprised that the new amps have totally transformed the sound.
The Constellations match his Alexia 1 much much better than the ARC/Audia Flight, even though the latter are good components.
He said he won't consider upgrading his Alexianow.and

I have listened to the Constellation Altair II preamp and Hercules II mono amps with the XLFs. By far the best sound I have listened from the XLF's - or any other speaker ...

Reactions: shakti and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It's a pity that Wilson Audio and Constellation are carried by diff dealers in Hong Kong and they never have collaboration.

Their sonic characters complement each other very well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing