Bricasti M5 network player

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I tested it using the SPDIF and the AES outputs to my Totaldac Reclocker/DAC chain (avoiding using the USB input).
Data from MacMini/External Disk have been transferred to M5 via an Ethernet LAN.

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
Paolo,

An interesting product indeed. I had a hard time understanding how exactly it worked....my original thought was that it somehow negated the need for a computer but finally understood that it is a bridge between computer and DAC. As I understand it, it more or less eliminates the negative affect a computer has on the digital signal. I am in the same boat with you using a Mac Mini and use Audirvana for playback. What do you use as playback software? Actually, it is not really "playback" software now as the M5 takes over this capacity and uses the computer and chosen "playback" software to only hand off the bits.

Damon Gramont of Bricasti was at RMAF recently where I grilled him of how exactly this product works. He would explain a while and then ask me if I finally understood, I would say NO and he would re-commence. It was quite humorous and I am sure he thought I was quite dense!

He indicates the M5 (or module built into their DAC) is thought by some customers to be superior to even a purpose built music server like Aurender. What are your thoughts?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Paolo,

An interesting product indeed. I had a hard time understanding how exactly it worked....my original thought was that it somehow negated the need for a computer but finally understood that it is a bridge between computer and DAC. As I understand it, it more or less eliminates the negative affect a computer has on the digital signal. I am in the same boat with you using a Mac Mini and use Audirvana for playback. What do you use as playback software? Actually, it is not really "playback" software now as the M5 takes over this capacity and uses the computer and chosen "playback" software to only hand off the bits.

Damon Gramont of Bricasti was at RMAF recently where I grilled him of how exactly this product works. He would explain a while and then ask me if I finally understood, I would say NO and he would re-commence. It was quite humorous and I am sure he thought I was quite dense!

He indicates the M5 (or module built into their DAC) is thought by some customers to be superior to even a purpose built music server like Aurender. What are your thoughts?

tdimler,
sorry for delay but I'm in Paris for a business trip, now I have few time...
I modded my MacMini with Uptone's PS kit, and the improvement was already a big step forward.
I use Jriver V22.

I think M5 is a very "smart" device. To simplify: it allows to transfer the data packets using a more effective method than the USB bus.
It uses your computer's player to access the libraries and receives data packet via ethernet LAN (eliminating the annoying problem of noise induced in the USB bus).
Then, it "forwards" the packets via an audio compliant data bus like SPDIF, AES outputs.
I tested it in my system and although I already have my computer modified in the power supply part, with the insertion of the M5 i felt further slight improvements.
We tested the M5 into a system where MacMini was not modified and the improvement has been really remarkable; each feature has been improved: densities, richer textures, bigger soundstage, less "digital" sound....

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
Paolo,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think think if using the M5 with a non-modded MacMini that there would still be gains to make with installing the Uptone PS or do you think the M5 negates the need for this?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Paolo,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think think if using the M5 with a non-modded MacMini that there would still be gains to make with installing the Uptone PS or do you think the M5 negates the need for this?

IMHO adding both is quite better.
M5 gives you the chance to build an high level of computer based system, in my opinion, better than currently acclamed hi-end computers which "immorally" cost dozen ot more $$$.
More, eliminates the need to use USB digital interface which is useful for other applications but not so effective and suitable to be used as an hi-end audio interface.
Ethernet is proven superior for the scope.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
http://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/m5.php

a very interesting product to bypass the problems associated with noise of the USB interface.
I've just tested it into my computer based system (Modded MacMini with Uptone JS2 PSU), and it works great.

Hello,

Did you happened to test the DCS Network Bridge before purchasing the M5?

Curious how these two devices compare to each other as I'm in the market myself. One negative strike against the DCS right off the top is that its management appears to be centered around an Apple only "APP" at the moment, I believe. I'm not a fan of needing an "APP" to configure my gear.

Is there anything sacred anymore that doesn't require a damn APP :) :rolleyes:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Hello,

Did you happened to test the DCS Network Bridge before purchasing the M5?

Curious how these two devices compare to each other as I'm in the market myself. One negative strike against the DCS right off the top is that its management appears to be centered around an Apple only "APP" at the moment, I believe. I'm not a fan of needing an "APP" to configure my gear.

Is there anything sacred anymore that doesn't require a damn APP :) :rolleyes:

M5 doesn't require an App or any setup configuration procedure.
I use my Jremote (Jriver) application as usual to access the album selection.
Beside, I never tested Dcs Network Bridge.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The other to consider is the mutec mc3 USB

Mutec takes a variety of inputs including USB and reclock them, it outputs aes and spdif, and can handle dsd 2 x

It does a very accurate internal clock, and can also slave from external clock, or clock the dac

8669CE3C-F406-444C-BF14-AEB383BE0903.jpg

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
The other to consider is the mutec mc3 USB

Mutec takes a variety of inputs including USB and reclock them, it outputs aes and spdif, and can handle dsd 2 x

It does a very accurate internal clock, and can also slave from external clock, or clock the dac

View attachment 37303

Sorry, but quite not the same. Beside, I've just sold mine MC3+ which I used as reclocker.
IMO, M5 solve the main issue of noise due to USB interface.
M5 is on the field of Audio Over IP. It has an USB interface, but the better is using Ethernet interface, way better!!!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Paolo,how are you?
We never meet in Italy,but also we never meet in the forum because i follow only analog thread and you only digital thread

Sometimes we will meet in Italy
Ciao
Gianluigi

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Paolo,how are you?
We never meet in Italy,but also we never meet in the forum because i follow only analog thread and you only digital thread

Sometimes we will meet in Italy
Ciao
Gianluigi

We have to keep up info on digital too Gian. Just in case one day you get really old and take too much efforts to get up from listening sofa ;).

Tang

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia

tuochongle

Jun 20, 2022
Hi Paolo,

I am really interest in the M5 USB output. But couple things that I could not decide on are:
1. Can it work with a Linux OS computer?
2. Can it stream Spotify?
Could you please let me know?

Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing