Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricasti M5 network player

Bricasti M5 network player

http://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/m5.php

a very interesting product to bypass the problems associated with noise of the USB interface.
    I've just tested it into my computer based system (Modded MacMini with Uptone JS2 PSU), and it works great.
    Paolo Caliari

My System.

I tested it using the SPDIF and the AES outputs to my Totaldac Reclocker/DAC chain (avoiding using the USB input).
    Data from MacMini/External Disk have been transferred to M5 via an Ethernet LAN.
    Paolo Caliari

My System.

Paolo,

An interesting product indeed. I had a hard time understanding how exactly it worked....my original thought was that it somehow negated the need for a computer but finally understood that it is a bridge between computer and DAC. As I understand it, it more or less eliminates the negative affect a computer has on the digital signal. I am in the same boat with you using a Mac Mini and use Audirvana for playback. What do you use as playback software? Actually, it is not really "playback" software now as the M5 takes over this capacity and uses the computer and chosen "playback" software to only hand off the bits.

Damon Gramont of Bricasti was at RMAF recently where I grilled him of how exactly this product works. He would explain a while and then ask me if I finally understood, I would say NO and he would re-commence. It was quite humorous and I am sure he thought I was quite dense!

He indicates the M5 (or module built into their DAC) is thought by some customers to be superior to even a purpose built music server like Aurender. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
    Paolo,

An interesting product indeed. I had a hard time understanding how exactly it worked....my original thought was that it somehow negated the need for a computer but finally understood that it is a bridge between computer and DAC. As I understand it, it more or less eliminates the negative affect a computer has on the digital signal. I am in the same boat with you using a Mac Mini and use Audirvana for playback. What do you use as playback software? Actually, it is not really "playback" software now as the M5 takes over this capacity and uses the computer and chosen "playback" software to only hand off the bits.

Damon Gramont of Bricasti was at RMAF recently where I grilled him of how exactly this product works. He would explain a while and then ask me if I finally understood, I would say NO and he would re-commence. It was quite humorous and I am sure he thought I was quite dense!

He indicates the M5 (or module built into their DAC) is thought by some customers to be superior to even a purpose built music server like Aurender. What are your thoughts?
    tdimler,
    sorry for delay but I'm in Paris for a business trip, now I have few time...
    I modded my MacMini with Uptone's PS kit, and the improvement was already a big step forward.
    I use Jriver V22.

I think M5 is a very "smart" device. To simplify: it allows to transfer the data packets using a more effective method than the USB bus.
    It uses your computer's player to access the libraries and receives data packet via ethernet LAN (eliminating the annoying problem of noise induced in the USB bus).
    Then, it "forwards" the packets via an audio compliant data bus like SPDIF, AES outputs.
    I tested it in my system and although I already have my computer modified in the power supply part, with the insertion of the M5 i felt further slight improvements.
    We tested the M5 into a system where MacMini was not modified and the improvement has been really remarkable; each feature has been improved: densities, richer textures, bigger soundstage, less "digital" sound....
    Paolo Caliari

My System.

Paolo,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think think if using the M5 with a non-modded MacMini that there would still be gains to make with installing the Uptone PS or do you think the M5 negates the need for this?

Quote Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
    Paolo,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think think if using the M5 with a non-modded MacMini that there would still be gains to make with installing the Uptone PS or do you think the M5 negates the need for this?
    IMHO adding both is quite better.
    M5 gives you the chance to build an high level of computer based system, in my opinion, better than currently acclamed hi-end computers which "immorally" cost dozen ot more $$$.
    More, eliminates the need to use USB digital interface which is useful for other applications but not so effective and suitable to be used as an hi-end audio interface.
    Ethernet is proven superior for the scope.
    Paolo Caliari

My System.

Quote Originally Posted by caliaripaolo View Post
    http://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/m5.php

a very interesting product to bypass the problems associated with noise of the USB interface.
    I've just tested it into my computer based system (Modded MacMini with Uptone JS2 PSU), and it works great.
    Hello,

Did you happened to test the DCS Network Bridge before purchasing the M5?

Curious how these two devices compare to each other as I'm in the market myself. One negative strike against the DCS right off the top is that its management appears to be centered around an Apple only "APP" at the moment, I believe. I'm not a fan of needing an "APP" to configure my gear.

Is there anything sacred anymore that doesn't require a damn APP
    Music is the brandy of the damned - George Bernard Shaw

My Audio System Link

Quote Originally Posted by cjf View Post
    Hello,

Did you happened to test the DCS Network Bridge before purchasing the M5?

Curious how these two devices compare to each other as I'm in the market myself. One negative strike against the DCS right off the top is that its management appears to be centered around an Apple only "APP" at the moment, I believe. I'm not a fan of needing an "APP" to configure my gear.

Is there anything sacred anymore that doesn't require a damn APP
    M5 doesn't require an App or any setup configuration procedure.
    I use my Jremote (Jriver) application as usual to access the album selection.
    Beside, I never tested Dcs Network Bridge.
    Paolo Caliari

My System.

The other to consider is the mutec mc3 USB

Mutec takes a variety of inputs including USB and reclock them, it outputs aes and spdif, and can handle dsd 2 x

It does a very accurate internal clock, and can also slave from external clock, or clock the dac

Name:  8669CE3C-F406-444C-BF14-AEB383BE0903.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  85.8 KB
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]
    [I]Monaco tt 1.5 triplanar/Xv1
    Bakoon two box phono; step up Cinemag, Altec, FR, RCA
    Halcro DM 8 running current mode
    Bespoke server Roon and HQplayer at dsd2
    Atomic clock to USB aes interface
    Meitner DA2
    Lamm m1.2 or Goldmund 29M
    Morel Fat Ladies
    Bespoke active crossover 5 Subwoofers
    Sony PSX9 XL55 Bakoon phono
    Pioneer PLL1 DV XV1s Esoteric E03/CO2 as output
    Stealth cabling

Quote Originally Posted by awsmone View Post
    The other to consider is the mutec mc3 USB

Mutec takes a variety of inputs including USB and reclock them, it outputs aes and spdif, and can handle dsd 2 x

It does a very accurate internal clock, and can also slave from external clock, or clock the dac

Name:  8669CE3C-F406-444C-BF14-AEB383BE0903.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  85.8 KB

Sorry, but quite not the same. Beside, I've just sold mine MC3+ which I used as reclocker.
    IMO, M5 solve the main issue of noise due to USB interface.
    M5 is on the field of Audio Over IP. It has an USB interface, but the better is using Ethernet interface, way better!!!
    Paolo Caliari

My System.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast