Running Springs vs Shunyata

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hi

When one runs a "dedicated line" how dedicated can it be? such a line has only "dedicated" to it its own breaker. Noise and the likes do get to the equipment courtesy of the common trunk it shares wit the rest of the household noice-producing items ... It is only a beginning. I prefer a generator as I have said countless of times... the Equi=Tech is a fine solution and so is a good isolation transformer of the proper rating .. Don't drop two class A 1000 Watts amp on a 2000 VA Isiolation tansformer and call it a day... then go complain that isolation transformers compress the sound ...
Also care should be taken to the return path for a ll thenoise aka ground.

As for many audiophiles PLC including the subject of this thread the less said the better ...
The other thing that is interesting about dedicated lines, apart from their inability to isolate from the rest of the household system, given the common source of power and shared ground, is that if you have multiple dedicated lines they have different grounding potential. The UK crowd, I thought, advocated using a single outlet with a power distribution system, to maintain the same ground. I had the impression that Troy grounding system tried to accomplish this externally, by star grounding the various component chassis together- I never fully understood how this could work effectively if you are still grounding the components to the wall as well. (I have one of those Granite Audio 'ground zero' devices that is a far cheaper, and i'm sure far less effective, device than the Troy, but in some ways, the theory is the same). Grounding is an element of AC power that I find devilish in the extreme.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Wanted to weigh in here. I have had an RSA DMITRI for the past month, still probably not burned in, that has really improved my system. Especially the sibilants and treble, but no loss or air or slam. Highly recommended. I am using the stock cord, and am sure a aftermarket will improve performance, but I am waiting for the 200 hour breakin. Anyone else enjoying a Dmitri, what plug are you using?

Jeff

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
BTW Had an electrician come out to run a dedicated line. $1300 for 10/2 run*2. No attic above garage, bummer. Thought it would be a few hundred. Put in PS audio premier outlets(45$ new ebay), seems to help as well. Will probably hold of on a dedicated line given cost.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
BTW Had an electrician come out to run a dedicated line. $1300 for 10/2 run*2. No attic above garage, bummer. Thought it would be a few hundred. Put in PS audio premier outlets(45$ new ebay), seems to help as well. Will probably hold of on a dedicated line given cost.

So how long was the run and how did your electrician have to run the cable? $1300 seems like a lot of beans to run one cable.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
It was from the garage outside, up to the second floor attic and down to the room. 2 10/2 runs through an outside pipe up to the attic.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I assume your main breaker box for your house is located in said garage which must be attached to the main house?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
exactly, but no attic above garage.

Well, that would explain why the electrician stuck it in your shorts price-wise. That was probably a lot of work to run those cables and I missed the x2 on first reading.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Wanted to weigh in here. I have had an RSA DMITRI for the past month, still probably not burned in, that has really improved my system. Especially the sibilants and treble, but no loss or air or slam. Highly recommended. I am using the stock cord, and am sure a aftermarket will improve performance, but I am waiting for the 200 hour breakin. Anyone else enjoying a Dmitri, what plug are you using?

Jeff

Jeff, how's your Dmitri performing now?

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Marcus,
It's amazing, that and the HZ power cable are some of the best money I have put in my system. Real Black/White improvements. I've been blind tested by friends many times, we all get it right. The bass is just more palpable at the same volumes. Not to mention the blackness of the back grounds with no robbing of the pace. The shunyata's seemed to color the sound for me. The dmitri is just better in every way than my dedicated 20amp lines alone.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Have you noticed any sweetening or "beautifications" in the treble range? And what about dynamics? Some say, with Dmitri it is even better ...

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I wouldn't say sweetening, but less sharp and grating. I can listen to almost any recording at any volume without the treble irritating my ears. It removes all the harsh edges with no loss of space or air. Much more dynamic. If you can afford it find someone who will let you audition(I think cable company does no endorsement) and see for yourself. I think you will be very shocked at the improvement, especially if you have a revealing system.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
NO. The Dmitri is dead silent and I also have a Haley which is dead silent. As a matter of fact plugging it into my home theater removed about 4 different hums from the tv viewing setup:) What cord are you using with the Elgar, I use a mongoose on the Haley and Hz on the Dmitri? I suspect you have a ground problem or an equipment malfunction, ear to box quiet are my units.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Jimmy,
I have been thinking of adding a Maxim or Duke, are you able to quantify the improvement of the Duke over the Jaco? Almost got the Jaco only, but was talked up to the Dmitri;)

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Jimmy,
I have been thinking of adding a Maxim or Duke, are you able to quantify the improvement of the Duke over the Jaco? Almost got the Jaco only, but was talked up to the Dmitri;)

Hi Kleinbje,

Sorry, I never tried the amps into the Jaco with the other components.

My room only has a single wall outlet, and previously when I had a stereo amp it went straight to the wall and the source components were connected to the Jaco. When I went to mono amps, I bought the Duke for the amps and continued to use the Jaco for everything else.

When I remodel the basement, I'll be able to have multiple dedicated runs installed and then can really play with various combinations.

Regards,
Jimmy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing