Why do some people listen to a cello when evaluating a system? What can / could one learn?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The best cello recordings I have include Starker, Fournier, Rostropovich. All golden era recordings from late 50’s early 60’s.

http://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/cello/features/best-cellists-of-all-time/

I would add the great Danill Shafran, relatively unknown outside the former Soviet Union. He was considered in the Soviet Union the equal to Rostropovich. He tied Rostropovich twice for first place in important cello competitions. Didn't travel much outside the Soviet Union. One recording he did in the US was the Shostakovich and Schubert (Arpegionne) Cello Sonatas, a very pricey Living Stereo LSC-2553. (I have 15ips 2 track tapes of the recording, probably copied from a safety master.) Almost all of his recordings were done on Melodyia, with a few reissued by western companies. one problem in tracking him down is that his Russian name is anglicized as Danill, Daniil or Daniel, so Discogs shows different listings with each spelling of his name.

For a historical cellist of the time of Casals, there is Emmanuel Feuermann. He died in 1942 at the age of 39 (from complications of surgery on hemorrhoids.) According to wiki, his pallbearers included pianists Rudolf Serkin and Artur Schnabel, violinists Mischa Elman and Bronis?aw Huberman, and conductors George Szell, Eugene Ormandy and Arturo Toscanini. Several wonderful chamber recordings with Heifetz and Rubinstein. Considered by many at the same level as Casals.

Larry

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The best ever (IMHO) cello recording for evaluating systems is one I have used for decades - a several minutes excerpt from the Kodaly Op. 8 sonata. While most selections on this demo record were taken from other sources, this demo piece was engineered especially for the record by Ensayo with a minimum of room reverb, so the full range and all the nuances of the instrument spring forth in true-to-life fashion.

Thank you miniguy. I just found a NM copy and bought it.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I much prefer the generation that followed especially for baroque music played on period instruments though for Beethoven’s cello sonatas, Rostropovich and Richter are my absolute reference.

Anner Bylsma remains one of my favourite cello players. His first interpretation of Bach’ Suites for the SEON record label remains a reference to this day. The LP box set can still be found but the RCA German pressing should be preferred to the awful ABC American pressing. He unfortunately cannot play anymore due to a finger injury.

In the younger generation, Jean-Guihen Queyras, Bruno Cocset and Martin Zeller are worth listening though their recordings are only available in digital. Bruno Coscet’s interpretation of Domenico Gabrielli in La Nascita del Violoncello (Alpha) is just superb.

Finally, Enrico Dindo who plays for Decca has produced some beautiful recordings among others Haydn’s concertos. Some of his live recordings are available on tapes from Open Reel Records (Vivaldi, Haydn, Corelli and Piazzolla).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing