Some useful info for any Q series owners

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Was in email correspondence with Magico concerning my Q3s. They offered a solution to my concern but also sent a two page sheet outlining the process for tightening the hex-head screws connected to the tension rods running front to back in the speaker. Followed the procedure and noticed a distinct improvement in the response of the speaker...thought I'd post the document for use if any one is interested.
Cheers,
View attachment New Q3 Rod Tightening Procedure and Vent bolt.pdf

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Useful! Thanks!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Instruction sheet for Project M :

Project M tension rod tightening instructions.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
This looks very familiar. Be careful not to strip any of the screws...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is useful information. I contacted Magico a few days ago and they suggested I check this tension rod tightness. I ordered a torque wrench, the same that they supply with new M series speakers, and followed the tightening instructions.

Of the 20 bolts on my Q3 speakers, 16 needed tightening to the specified 120 lbs torque. I rotated each of the 16 bolts between 1/4 to 1 full turn. I waited and then listened. I noticed a nice uptick in clarity and some increase in bass extension and articulation. Overall, a slightly more natural sound.

Apparently, after shipping, this needs to be done. I bought my speakers used, so it had not been done for a while. Nice subtle improvement. This tensioning compresses the Isodamp gasket between the curved front baffle and the sealed aluminum box enclosure. I think the Isodamp needs to be compressed for full dampening benefit.

IMG_0110.jpg

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
Hi magico owners. I was once the proud owner of a pair of Q5’s. I say once not because I sold them. I say once because I contacted magico looking for a tweeter and seal. One of my grand children stuck his finger through a tweeter. This is the second time this has happened. The first time a grand daughter did it to one and then walk over and did to the other. I search the world and found a used pair and replaced them on my own. Suddenly This time searching the world but none to be found. So I contacted Magico. Bellow is their response to me. Not that it matters but the speakers are no longer under any warranty. They refused to sell to me. I contacted a dealer, they would contact magico and get back to me. Never heard. So as I said no longer a proud owner. I had considered buying the new M series. No longer! Definitely NOT a customer oriented company. I installed both tweeters previously flawlessly. Cutting my time more then in half on the second speaker. I have rebuild combustion engines and transmission in my younger days. This was a piece of cake. I had considerEd filing a complaint with consumer affairs or such. They have no right to with hold parts from me or any owner. They have no right to tell me that I am not allowed to repair my own speaker! That only an authorized dealer is allowed. That I should have to crate up and ship the speaker to them! NO LONGER THE PROUD OWNER!
p.kogan

“Dear Philip,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the cost and availability of one tweeter (MBe2) for a Q5 loudspeaker.

We have Q5 tweeters available and ask that you contact an authorized Magico dealer near you who will be able to quote on the part cost and provide a labor estimate to complete the repair.

Any consideration of Q5 repair must be completed either by an authorized dealer who is familiar with disassembling the Q5 or at the Magico factory in Hayward, CA. The procedure to remove the front panel to access the Q5 tweeter is extremely complex and laborious. A high risk of possible damage to the front baffle or the enclosure is possible if the repair is attempted by anyone who is unfamiliar with this repair procedure.

Please let us know the serial number of the Q5, where you reside and if you have the original wooden crate for transportation. Once we receive this information we will recommend a dealer who is familiar with the Q5 tweeter replacement procedure.

Best regards,
Peter

Peter Mackay
VP Global Sales & Marketing
MAGICO, LLC“

Reactions: ack

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I had a local dealer repair my old Magico Mini II midrange/woofer driver. The speaker was long discontinued and Alon Wolf himself called me and explained the delay in getting the driver to the dealer - they were making a new batch of these now discontinued drivers to serve existing users. The dealer was happy to do the repair even though I did not buy the speaker from them.

I understand that people have good and bad experiences with audio gear. Peter Mackay's letter seems very reasonable to me. If the dealer is close enough, the speaker would not need to be packed up in its original crate and shipped. I have even witnessed a repair where a dealer flew in to replace a Magico tweeter in the owner's home.

Philip, what happened to your speakers? Did you sell them with the broken tweeter, or did you have them repaired? How does the story end?

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
I am using with the damaged tweeter for now. I put a peice of tape over the small hole. Surprisingly it sounds pretty good. You can put your ear right up to it and then the other and be hard pressed to know which is damaged. I have not decided where I go from here. I will continue to look for a used tweeter I guess. Eventually replace the speakers with some other brand possibly. It’s a shame because I really did love the speakers. It’s one of the few thing in my system that my wife and I agreed on.

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
Follow up. I heard from magico. They connected me with a dealer who collected for the purchase and then magico direct shipped the tweeter to me. Took me a little longer this time (4 hrs). It’s been 4yrs or so since the last time I did this(grand daughter did both speakers at once. This time she stood by and watched as her brother gave it a try. Fortunately he was not as successfu). The difficult part is removing the T10 hex bolts on the outer rear plate. The wrench end breaks off easily. The hex end is so small and thin and the bolts are lock-tighted in place. Once you get past that it’s just some time and knowing how to separate the front plate from the speaker housing. Anyway all done and working great. Just a little over $1500 poorer. Oh well take it from their inheritance. .

Reactions: PeterA and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Similar mischiefs are not uncommon. :confused:

Here was the diamond tweeter of a firend of mine :

IMG-20200715-WA0062~2.jpg

Q7 is too heavy for him to do the replacement. Luckily the local dealer offered excellent on-site service and sent a few strong guys.

The interior of Q7 is intereating. See those huge black colour capacitors on the crossover?
No wonder the Q7 is so power-hungry! :p

IMG-20200812-WA0028~2.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The interior of Q7 is intereating. See those huge black colour capacitors on the crossover?
No wonder the Q7 is so power-hungry! :p

View attachment 68824

Good to see the interior of the Q7 - but remember that capacitors do not dissipate energy, there is no connection between their size and speaker efficiency. But yes, although Magico specifies the Q7 mk2 as being 94dB/W I also found them being power hungry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing