Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I will agree that the best "all in one" recorder is the Tascam. I've had my Tascam and modified Korg for some time now. The best recorder is a separate A-D converter and software like Pyramix. I am now using the Horus, but have used many A-D converters, such as the Grimm, Playback Designs, EMM Labs/Meitner, dCS, Mytek, Genex, MSB and DAD. Have done quite a few A-D shoot outs in DSD. So far, the Merging Horus with new cards is the best I've heard.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I am looking forward to this mod for my unit.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I'm am using the Benchmark A/D converter straight into the Tascam and results are much better. I record at 24/176. I'm not interested in dsd.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I'm am using the Benchmark A/D converter straight into the Tascam and results are much better. I record at 24/176. I'm not interested in dsd.

Sigh,

It apparently does 24/192 superbly as well! Basically, you should rip to the sweetspot of your DAC and not follow format dogma.

https://www.facebook.com/FikusLampi/...4940989071162/

This may well be the world first Dsd professional recording machine with ZERO SILICON in the whole recording chain. Np opamps no resistors no compression no transistors. Just mike feed through one single ended triode to dsd adc engine. At dsd128 this sounds like ten million pound sterling. All wiring is silver. Outboard transformer. It took me a year to pull it through. Tonight recording vinyl

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have been long planning the ADC lampization. The best recorder seems to be TASCAM thats why I bought it. Then another one bought my friend from a recording studio so I could start sniffing around the circuits and holding one "virgin" tascam as a reference . I managed to find hundreds of parts in the input stage before conversion which are unnecessary silicon ****. I removed them all and still got music. Eventually I managed to remove ALL 100% parts from analog section and replace them all with a tube section consisting of truly fully balanced 6N16P triodes - 4 triodes per input. They are connected to ADC chip and then fresh clean data goes to CF memory card. As simple as that. I am still learning how to make reference sample recordings and as soon as I can find time to make them - we will present 3 samples recorded on stock TASCAM and 3 samples from lampizator Tascam - same songs - same DSD128x - for everybody to compare. I will make them available on the website for free. Having said that I love PCM 24/192 on that machine with tubes installed.

ADC is fascinating process. Can you imagine vinyl to DSD with this level of purity ? Probably noone ever heard digital this good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing