A Direct Comparison: Technics SP10 Mk3 and SME Model 30/12A

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am wondering what they are using for the speed control; optical encoder? Tachiometer? something else? I still haven't found out how JVC executed their bi-directional servo but they seem to be the only ones who did it (a couple of other companies at that time like Yamaha and Kenwood adopted it as well). It seems to have taken the control to another level of precision.

Can you explain us what is exactly meant by "bi-directional servo"? In servo mechanics it has a clear meaning, looking at Denon and JVC literature it seems a nice marketing name used for servo systems that have been used since long in control systems or even tape machines.

Do you know of any patent on it? Forsell for example patented the use of the air bearing flywheel and no one else could use it their turntables. If it was something new most probably they would have patented it, but I could not find any patent on it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, the idler drive I am seriously interested in has class leading torque, 2x that of SP10.
A 3 phase Papst motor that can drive 24/7 at high power and control.
An optical 1000 line encoder w quartz tech speed control.
A heavy 8kg constrained layer platter.
What I’ve gathered is that the quartz speed control, uber high torque and high moment of inertia platter, all combines to create a state of high speed stability, no holds barred defeating of stylus drag resistance, analog only servo that only has to activate very sporadically to keep speed stable.
Some similarities to Denon DP6000.
High torque, heavy platter and quartz speed measurement is the secret to this particular brew.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Interesting thread.

I have owned the Pioneer Exclusive P3 for quite a while and recently a SP10mk3 with mk3 plinth etc. I can't say I hear any hardness or mechanical haze with either of my vintage DD tables unless its in the recording. I am not disputing what Peter heard, as I am sure it is what he heard.

The first thing I noticed on Peter's photo of the SP10mk3 is that the Micro Seiki CU180 is on the platter upside down - that alone may been the root cause what Peter heard. The cu180 gun metal platter goes the other way and it makes is a perfect fit, like a glove that is just over the top of the platter. It is bloody hard to remove after you have set it down as it's such a snug fit.

The trouble is with anything as high end as Peter's system and the equipment, just plonking down a piece of equipment generally does not automatically give you the WOW moment - it takes quite a bit of work. Peter's system will have been painstakingly voiced around his SME table. yes, the Technics does have more detail, but it also has more leading edge attack and instruments don't hold onto the notes as long as BD tables.

Both DD and BD can both sound superb when tweaked in your system - you choose your flavour and enjoy :D

XV-1, those are two lovely turntables. Congratulations. I am not surprised that you hear none of the hardness or mechanical haze that Al M., David, and I all heard from the SP10 in my system. I have read many outstanding reports of the wonderful sound of the SP10 and it has indeed sounded much better in David's own system. These glowing reports are one reason I wanted to hear the table in my system. I was also curious if I could identify through listening a difference which I could attribute to speed accuracy and consistency. It is sounding more and more as if there was an incompatibility issue with my system or an implementation problem with the platter mat, some modification, some lack of the right modification, etc. None of these refurbished SP10s seems to have the exact same plinths, level of modifications, arms and cartridges. There are just so many variations among them.

I had no idea about the CU180 mat being upside down. That is worth David investigating. Yes, it is a very snug fit and he will need to be very carful when removing it to flip it over. That may very well solve the problem, but then again, David reports that the table sounds fine in his system, so who knows? We will investigate in time.

Your comment about the WOW moment is interesting. I understand about a component like a pair of speakers being placed in a new system requiring time to be properly positioned and broken in. Same with a new amplifier which may or may not have compatibility issues with the speaker load it is being asked to drive. Perhaps even with equipment racks and cables which may need time to settle. However, with a source component, I would think that there is less of this work required for it to function properly. We did give this five full days and spent much time adjusting things with the location and isolation of the controller, the arm/cartridge adjustments, etc. We worked pretty hard to optimize the sound over those five days, including phone calls to two people very familiar with the turntable, plinth, mat, Vibraplane, arm, and cartridge.

Finally, at the end of your post, you bring up particular traits specifically associated with turntable drive types. This one direct comparison surely does not answer the question for me about whether or not we can attribute particular sonic traits to turntable drive types, but it is a question that has always intrigued me. I just have not had enough experience with different turntable drive types in familiar systems to reach conclusions. Are you saying that in general, drive types have a sound? Spiritofmusic seems to believe this based on what I gleam from his writings about BB, idler/rim and DD. And it may certainly be the case with lower cost and poorly implemented designs, but I wonder if as budgets increase and restrictions are lifted, whether these kinds of sonic differences begin to be less noticeable. For instance, reading ddk's threads, it seems that the EMT and American Sound table sound more similar than either does to his TechDAS AF!, despite the fact that the latter two are both belt drive designs. Yet, with the exception of the EMT, he seems to prefer belt drive designs over all others. And then there is MikeL switching from a DD to BD table. I imagine that he hopes the AS will give him "more" of the good things he hears from his DD NVS rather than a "different" sound based on drive typology.

This thread has had some interesting posts, and I received a call the other night from a manufacturer who told me he once owned the two tables in this comparison and heard basically the same differences that I describe. So, it seems to me that there are varying opinions about the sound of these two tables, and as it has been suggested, this is all so dependent on system and room context, set up, listening biases and subjective preferences, that this is just one more data point around which we can focus to discuss ideas.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, also be aware we’re more suceptible to things depending on who we are.
I am really sensitive to judder on digital projectors playing BluRay, and rainbow effect on DLP projectors, others are oblivious.
Indeed a reason I’ve spent big on analog CRT Barco pj.
You may hear this cold sheen on SP10, others not aware.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Finally, at the end of your post, you bring up particular traits specifically associated with turntable drive types. This one direct comparison surely does not answer the question for me about whether or not we can attribute particular sonic traits to turntable drive types, but it is a question that has always intrigued me. I just have not had enough experience with different turntable drive types in familiar systems to reach conclusions. Are you saying that in general, drive types have a sound? Spiritofmusic seems to believe this based on what I gleam from his writings about BB, idler/rim and DD. And it may certainly be the case with lower cost and poorly implemented designs, but I wonder if as budgets increase and restrictions are lifted, whether these kinds of sonic differences begin to be less noticeable. For instance, reading ddk's threads, it seems that the EMT and American Sound table sound more similar than either does to his TechDAS AF!, despite the fact that the latter two are both belt drive designs. Yet, with the exception of the EMT, he seems to prefer belt drive designs over all others. And then there is MikeL switching from a DD to BD table. I imagine that he hopes the AS will give him "more" of the good things he hears from his DD NVS rather than a "different" sound based on drive typology.

You bring up an interesting point - and Brinkmann makes 2 DD tables, but also higher up has the top of the line, belt-driven Balance.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You bring up an interesting point - and Brinkmann makes 2 DD tables, but also higher up has the top of the line, belt-driven Balance.

Interestingly, Brinkmann updated the motors they use on their Belt drive TTs based on what they learned from motor technology developing the Oasis and Bardo...it seems what works best for DD also works best for BD.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I always got the impression that the Bardo was a kind of cut price option, w the Balance by a long chalk their reference.
I believe I’m right in thinking it doesn’t use anywhere near the power of motor the Balance does, utilising an easy to drive low mass platter, and low torque.
I always found this a strange hierarchy, produce a new design DD a few yrs back at the height of belt drive preeminence (encapsulated by the Balance), but don’t be fearless and throw as much uncompromising effort at it as the Balance.
I have heard it, and it sounded a little leading edge dominant. Certainly not as dense or substantive as the Balance.
More APPARENT speed, but this more a function of lack of weight rather than what’s in the grooves.
* obviously as with all things, system and listener dependent*

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, the idler drive I am seriously interested in has class leading torque, 2x that of SP10.
A 3 phase Papst motor that can drive 24/7 at high power and control.
An optical 1000 line encoder w quartz tech speed control.
A heavy 8kg constrained layer platter.
What I’ve gathered is that the quartz speed control, uber high torque and high moment of inertia platter, all combines to create a state of high speed stability, no holds barred defeating of stylus drag resistance, analog only servo that only has to activate very sporadically to keep speed stable.
Some similarities to Denon DP6000.
High torque, heavy platter and quartz speed measurement is the secret to this particular brew.

1000 lines is not so much nowadays...I have a project where I am using a 3600 line optical encoder and that is nowhere near what is possible now (look what Monaco 2.0 claims). Still, it seems these are only uni-directional servos...maybe i am wrong but the Maxon controller I have seems to be a single ended method of working with the encoder. According to some literature I have found, the JVC system worked to both push and pull the rotor so that over and undershoot were drastically reduced...then they went even further and put another servo around the whole system with a different set of rules. Kenwood also had a double servo design for the L07-D. One tighter and one looser to prevent hunting.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe I’m wrong (not the first time, won’t be the last LOL) re Bardo motor being second place to the Brinkmann motor.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Keith, I always got the impression that the Bardo was a kind of cut price option, w the Balance by a long chalk their reference.
I believe I’m right in thinking it doesn’t use anywhere near the power of motor the Balance does, utilising an easy to drive low mass platter, and low torque.
I always found this a strange hierarchy, produce a new design DD a few yrs back at the height of belt drive preeminence (encapsulated by the Balance), but don’t be fearless and throw as much uncompromising effort at it as the Balance.
I have heard it, and it sounded a little leading edge dominant. Certainly not as dense or substantive as the Balance.
More APPARENT speed, but this more a function of lack of weight rather than what’s in the grooves.
* obviously as with all things, system and listener dependent*

http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.php?prod=sinus&lang=en

"Helmut Brinkmann's extensive research and development on our direct drive motor for the »Oasis« and »Bardo« turntables gave him valuable insight into the control of magnetic fields and how to apply this knowledge to reduce cogging in a motor. It became apparent that the next logical step was to apply this knowledge in the design of a new motor for the belt drive turntables. "

"The new »Sinus« motor is better suited to driving a high mass platter (almost 46 lb) like the ones found in our »LaGrange« and »Balance« turntables, while the use of a 4-phase (4 times 90°) drive circuitry enables a very smooth rotation without cogging."

As you can see, it is a coreless motor and apparently brushless as well. This is what they use now in place of the Papst capstan motor (used in R2R tape decks). This is a better motor than the one in the Bardo and Oasis I think...and costs more too! Note in the text the concern over cogging. I am not making this stuff up as Micro would seem to suggest. However, the Japanese were making motors like this 40 years ago!

JVC TT-101 motor picture: http://m.review33.com/forum_msg.php?db=1&topic=19120115115734
Kenwood L07-D motor picture: http://www.vintagehificlub.com/quick-informations/kenwood-l-07d-turntable-set-complate-with-tonearm/ You have to scroll down near the bottom. Even more advanced design with star pattern coils.

Here is one from an Technics SP-10 mk2: http://amp8.com/amp-etc/record/technics/sp-mk2-4.htm Scroll down a ways to see the motor
Note that it is NOT a coreless motor as the wires are wrapped around an iron core.

The similarity with what was done in the past to Brinkmann's "new" motors is pretty striking. Now speed control is a whole other issue...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Can you explain us what is exactly meant by "bi-directional servo"? In servo mechanics it has a clear meaning, looking at Denon and JVC literature it seems a nice marketing name used for servo systems that have been used since long in control systems or even tape machines.

Do you know of any patent on it? Forsell for example patented the use of the air bearing flywheel and no one else could use it their turntables. If it was something new most probably they would have patented it, but I could not find any patent on it.

I do not know for sure if there was a patent but probably there was at least in Japan. It has long since expired of course. AFAIK, it was only used by JVC, Yamaha and maybe Kenwood, which would suggest licesnsing agreements of some kind. You can go on Vinatge Knob and read what they have to say about the various JVC models that employed this technology (TT-101, TT-801, QL10, TT-81, QL-Y66F and QL-F6).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
Finally, at the end of your post, you bring up particular traits specifically associated with turntable drive types. This one direct comparison surely does not answer the question for me about whether or not we can attribute particular sonic traits to turntable drive types, but it is a question that has always intrigued me. I just have not had enough experience with different turntable drive types in familiar systems to reach conclusions. Are you saying that in general, drive types have a sound? Spiritofmusic seems to believe this based on what I gleam from his writings about BB, idler/rim and DD. And it may certainly be the case with lower cost and poorly implemented designs, but I wonder if as budgets increase and restrictions are lifted, whether these kinds of sonic differences begin to be less noticeable. For instance, reading ddk's threads, it seems that the EMT and American Sound table sound more similar than either does to his TechDAS AF!, despite the fact that the latter two are both belt drive designs. Yet, with the exception of the EMT, he seems to prefer belt drive designs over all others. And then there is MikeL switching from a DD to BD table. I imagine that he hopes the AS will give him "more" of the good things he hears from his DD NVS rather than a "different" sound based on drive typology. (...)

IMHO these characteristics are usually associated with "side effects" of the type of drive - e.g. most DD turntables do not have suspended suspensions because of the reaction against the torque changes are applying, belt drive turntables are good candidates for soft suspensions, rim drives must have high torque and mass to counterbalance losses due to contact and bearing friction, DD controllers are supposed to inject noise in the system :).

People usually create their models on the sound quality associated with problematic or cheap implementations - e.g. perhaps I am not favorable to rim drive because of the poor quality plinth I had with my Thorens TD124.

Alternative ways of dealing with the type of drive can create designs sounding completely different from the old stereotypes.

AS is not a typical belt drive turntable - as far as could see the bearing is friction-less, the belt is stiff, David uses it very loose and does not appreciate the idea of using suspensions on it!

This thread has had some interesting posts, and I received a call the other night from a manufacturer who told me he once owned the two tables in this comparison and heard basically the same differences that I describe. So, it seems to me that there are varying opinions about the sound of these two tables, and as it has been suggested, this is all so dependent on system and room context, set up, listening biases and subjective preferences, that this is just one more data point around which we can focus to discuss ideas.

It was really great and enjoyable to read about your direct experience. The few times I report some enthusiastic experience I also got one or two support messages - audiophiles like to share agreement. We are happy that the other 99 people that probably disagree with us do not send messages with their data points! The big problem with discussing ideas is that in order to debate them for a broad audience we need some kind of generalization, that IMHO most of the times is not possible in the high-end. Remember we even do not agree on the more expensive sounds better high-end general rule :rolleyes: - and I have little hope that David will reduce the price of the AS to one tenth just for the pleasure of breaking it! :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do not know for sure if there was a patent but probably there was at least in Japan. It has long since expired of course. AFAIK, it was only used by JVC, Yamaha and maybe Kenwood, which would suggest licesnsing agreements of some kind. You can go on Vinatge Knob and read what they have to say about the various JVC models that employed this technology (TT-101, TT-801, QL10, TT-81, QL-Y66F and QL-F6).

I have been there but all I could find was only marketing hype on their probably excellent, but not original servo implementations - and vinyl engine only has brochures on these turntables in japanese! If you have some direct information I would like to know. All I could understand is that it is a double servo system, the second one using a quartz oscillator to get the .0001% long term speed stability without affecting short term stability. But IMHO these 0.0000X % specs of turntable performance are useless. But I can be wrong.

And IMHO no attorney patent would admit the use of the words "bidirectional servo" for the servo of a rotating platter!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Most motors for belt drives now seem to be dc motors with a controller

In addition most have Hall effect sensors to attempt to overcome clogging effects, and have a servo control for this
In addition there is usual an optical or magnetic strip encoder with feedback to the drive voltage linked to a quartz locked frequency oscillator and these days a algorithm to stop the speed control being too invasive and create harmonic and enharmonic distortions to speed control which may be audible

A friend of mine who is an electronic engineer told me one of the big advantages of the sp10 mk3 over the 2 was you could turn off the quartz lock, I am unsure if this was a feature, or something he had gleaned you could do, as he builds dc motors and controllers.

My SONY PSX9 with the 16 inch platter, you can disengage the quartz lock

As to the Monaco platter which is magnesium alloy, Michael Fremer says it’s a light weight low torque, on the 1.0, the upgrade of the 1 to 2 Monaco does not upgrade the platter but only the motor/ new software and Board and the motor more torque

My assumption therefore is the platter must be the same weight in the 2.0 as the 1.0

The Monaco 2.0 they have kept the reading frequency of the encoder outside the audible frequencies up from 4000 to 79000, with 300,000 reads per second

If you note the SME 30 does indeed have a such a motor and controller, dc, Hall effect sensors and logic control board

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.php?prod=sinus&lang=en

"Helmut Brinkmann's extensive research and development on our direct drive motor for the »Oasis« and »Bardo« turntables gave him valuable insight into the control of magnetic fields and how to apply this knowledge to reduce cogging in a motor. It became apparent that the next logical step was to apply this knowledge in the design of a new motor for the belt drive turntables. "

"The new »Sinus« motor is better suited to driving a high mass platter (almost 46 lb) like the ones found in our »LaGrange« and »Balance« turntables, while the use of a 4-phase (4 times 90°) drive circuitry enables a very smooth rotation without cogging."

As you can see, it is a coreless motor and apparently brushless as well. This is what they use now in place of the Papst capstan motor (used in R2R tape decks). This is a better motor than the one in the Bardo and Oasis I think...and costs more too! Note in the text the concern over cogging. I am not making this stuff up as Micro would seem to suggest. However, the Japanese were making motors like this 40 years ago! (...)

Morricab,

Many thanks for fueling my points - this particular motor suffers from the same problems of core motors - the moving field is created by discrete coils that create a moving magnetic field . In such a simple arrangement they must be driven by a special algorithm with correction that compensates for the typical non linearity of such discrete arrangement - these coils have large gaps between them! Go on reading how it works and what they had to do to help solving, surely with relative success, the intrinsic problems.

"Additionally a large rotating mass of 500 grams, achieved by using a nickel-plated steel motor body, works likes a flywheel. This drives the platter of the turntable with a very even force and reduces vibration".

This type of drive is used, for example, in cheap motors for diskette readers. Brinkman probably optimized the controller and created a fancy, geometry, keeping costs low. This motor costs a lot less than a custom cored motor. It also has some more problems that a classical cored geometry, such as those caused by vertical variable drag.

What do you think of marketing literature that goes on saying "The new motor generates more torque and is therefore able to reduce the start-up time to a few seconds, no problem for the new vacuum tube power supply »RöNt II«, which is also able to handle the direct drive motors as well. ".

IMHO DDK explained fairly well why designers are developing such fancy motors for belt turntables in another thread - no one is currently able to supply the good old synchronous motors of yesterday.

BTW, I have reasons to consider that Brinkmann turntables are excellent sounding, but not because of their literature.

There is very little in common between this motor and the extremely well designed coreless motors of the Calliburn or the VPI, made by Thin Gap, except they obey to the same basic laws of electromagnetism! :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have been there but all I could find was only marketing hype on their probably excellent, but not original servo implementations - and vinyl engine only has brochures on these turntables in japanese! If you have some direct information I would like to know. All I could understand is that it is a double servo system, the second one using a quartz oscillator to get the .0001% long term speed stability without affecting short term stability. But IMHO these 0.0000X % specs of turntable performance are useless. But I can be wrong.

And IMHO no attorney patent would admit the use of the words "bidirectional servo" for the servo of a rotating platter!

You don't know that it is only marketing hype or that it was not innovative...just speculation from your side. There is a statement that the controller is both pushing and pulling the rotor. You know these types of motors can rotate in either direction right? That is pretty unusual if not "marketing hype".

I have a similar motor at home, which is brushed but coreless and with a good optical encoder and power supply it runs very stable. However I think a push/pull servo makes a lot of sense to minimize over/under shoot. Then they wrap that in a second servo. They also made high end models, like the TT-71, that did not have the bi-directional servo, just a standard FG based servo like most of the others.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ha, so like all things in audio, and life generally, every solution or diversion leads to as many complexities as much as advances.
For me, the tt I really like the theory of combines:
Fascinating materials use to dissipate noise and vibrations due to amorphous natural structure, but not excess weight.
A 3 phase Papst motor that can drive on and on all day long, providing torque at c2x levels of SP10.
All new ground up idler drive mechanism.
All-analog quartz accuracy speed controller utilising optical/encoder disc.
No digital servo feedback.
Heavy/dense platter using constrained layer build.

This system majors on supreme torque and maximising moment of inertia, which means that other than initial adjusting of speed as platter starts up, v few adjustments are needed as the system goes into uber stable “cruise control”.
Quartz speed accuracy means the motor doesn’t have to turn over at 1000rpm plus, but much lower at 300rpm, improving power efficiency.

This certainly ticks a lot of boxes of what sounds like an idler to justifiably rival the EMT927 (cue crashing down on my head from 927 fans LOL).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ha, so like all things in audio, and life generally, every solution or diversion leads to as many complexities as much as advances.
For me, the tt I really like the theory of combines:
Fascinating materials use to dissipate noise and vibrations due to amorphous natural structure, but not excess weight.
A 3 phase Papst motor that can drive on and on all day long, providing torque at c2x levels of SP10.
All new ground up idler drive mechanism.
All-analog quartz accuracy speed controller utilising optical/encoder disc.
No digital servo feedback.
Heavy/dense platter using constrained layer build.

This system majors on supreme torque and maximising moment of inertia, which means that other than initial adjusting of speed as platter starts up, v few adjustments are needed as the system goes into uber stable “cruise control”.
Quartz speed accuracy means the motor doesn’t have to turn over at 1000rpm plus, but much lower at 300rpm, improving power efficiency.

This certainly ticks a lot of boxes of what sounds like an idler to justifiably rival the EMT927 (cue crashing down on my head from 927 fans LOL).

Silente

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, well I have been emailing to discover if you’ve heard this one, or know of anyone who has.
With inability to hear the SME30 and Kuzma Stabi M w 12” or 14” 4 Point in the UK, reticence to deal w the UK Monaco dealers, and inability to go to AF1 or 2, or Kronos/Kronos Pro levels, my sights are now set on Primary Control Kinea DD, Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 string drive and Audiosilente Blackstone idler drive, the Kinea and Blackstone able to be heard at the homes of their designers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, well I have been emailing to discover if you’ve heard this one, or know of anyone who has.
With inability to hear the SME30 and Kuzma Stabi M w 12” or 14” 4 Point in the UK, reticence to deal w the UK Monaco dealers, and inability to go to AF1 or 2, or Kronos/Kronos Pro levels, my sights are now set on Primary Control Kinea DD, Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 string drive and Audiosilente Blackstone idler drive, the Kinea and Blackstone able to be heard at the homes of their designers.

Nope, can't find anything. Thanks for sorting my next trip

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing