A Direct Comparison: Technics SP10 Mk3 and SME Model 30/12A

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Unlike some audio folk --another opinionated moment disclaimer-- I feel strongly that our systems are no better than their listening room-component interface allows them to use that space to peak advantage.

Very few of the listeners I know pay what I consider sufficient attention to this indispensable option for optimizing system performance. The result is that most of these people don’t know either the full capability of their equipment, nor what the system reveals when a new component is introduced to the mix.

David, I very much agree that getting the room acoustics and speaker placement right is indispensable in order to hear the full potential of a system. I have spent considerably more time and energy the last few years on optimizing the acoustics of my room than on making decisions about and testing equipment changes. And the acoustics, while now being very good, are still a compromise at this point.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Having just purchased an SME30/2 myself I would be curious about how it would stack up against the sp10. Especially since the 30/2 is meant to sound a bit more dynamic and explosive than the 30/12 although that latter having more authority and flow.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Having just purchased an SME30/2 myself I would be curious about how it would stack up against the sp10. Especially since the 30/2 is meant to sound a bit more dynamic and explosive than the 30/12 although that latter having more authority and flow.

We can always drive to Plymouth to Guy's to check ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Bill, well done on becoming a daddy!
I hope your new boy brings you much happiness.
Don’t go comparing him to kids at other schools.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing