Highest Power SET Amplifier?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
BTW I really find myself agreeing with DDK, with the caveat that if the bass amps derive their input signal from the main source amp(s), a la MF Supercharger or an ML hybrid, then this will help.

However, can you bypass the internal amps, or do a mod such that they can be bypassed as a last resort? That would help if various options don't work in practice.

The bass tower amps do not derive their signal from the outboard amps which drive the ribbon panels. The bass tower amps cannot be bypassed. (What could possibly be better to drive those bass towers than 1,000 watts of Class AB Gryphon?)

What is the technical source of your concern about integration? The low power of SET? The high distortion of SET? The topology of parallel SET? The architecture of tube push-pull?

In other words are you more concerned about integration with an 80 watt SET or with a 160 watt Class A push-pull?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Ron, sorry I can’t help here.
Despite lack of online user reports on Nat generally, and Magma in particular, they have a solid customer base in E Europe, Russia and SE Asia. You’re not going to go wrong w Magma New.
At €20-25k factory direct to incl carriage and US sales tax, they’re a veritable bargain.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The bass tower amps do not derive their signal from the outboard amps which drive the ribbon panels. The bass tower amps cannot be bypassed. (What could possibly be better to drive those bass towers than 1,000 watts of Class A Gryphon?)

What is the technical source of your concern about integration? The low power of SET? The high distortion of SET? The topology of parallel SET? The architecture of tube push-pull?

In other words are you more concerned about integration with an 80 watt SET or with a 160 watt Class A push-pull?

Forget amp technology or power within reasonable limits.

The problem is simply personality. Does the bass sound an integrated part of the whole?

I am not sure how much experience you have in this area.but when you try to get dissimilar amps to work as a seamless whole you will hear marked differences in success depending on which gear you try to get to blend together.

What you expect to work may not and vice versa. Very difficult to give any solid advice since the results are unpredictable. Logic would appear to dictate a Gryphon amp on the ribbons would be the best solution but I doubt I'd like it personally.

The only way to find out is to do what I suggested by PM. Keep the VTLs and swap in various suspects until something better is found, if at all.

I hope in practice it isn't that much of an issue and 200Hz is low enough for it not to be. I think the 500Hz equivalent on my speakers makes it more of a noticeable issue.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The bass tower amps do not derive their signal from the outboard amps which drive the ribbon panels. The bass tower amps cannot be bypassed. (What could possibly be better to drive those bass towers than 1,000 watts of Class A Gryphon?)

The amps in the bass section are no way 1000 watts Class A. Nope, not a chance...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey Ron, sorry I can’t help here.
Despite lack of online user reports on Nat generally, and Magma in particular, they have a solid customer base in E Europe, Russia and SE Asia. You’re not going to go wrong w Magma New.
At €20-25k factory direct to incl carriage and US sales tax, they’re a veritable bargain.

If buying directly from factory in Europe, US customers should think about service. Will you get service manuals and parts if needed? Do you know of a local repair person who can service the amplifiers?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
The amps in the bass section are no way 1000 watts Class A. Nope, not a chance...

Harlequin said:
Hmmmmm, yes, I found My Discom well and truly Bobulated over that particular claim also mc!

From the horse's... er, Gryphon's mouth:

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 16.17.07.png

You're welcome.

853guy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

You are right! I forgot the "B."

Thank you for correcting me morricab and 853guy!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, and there was me thinking I was getting into a lather about potential tt destinations, batting about Spec, Saskia, Blackstone etc.
If that’s a lather, you’re amp travails are the whole bubble bath, or even soap factory!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing