Highest Power SET Amplifier?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is the NAT Audio Magma New SE still the highest output singled-ended triode amplifier?

Or has some other, newer product dethroned the Magma New SE?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Just quantifying whether Class A push pull triode topology might also in play here Micro. A few interesting observations here.....

http://http://www.turneraudio.com.au/loadmatch3-pp-triodes.htm

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, you know you really want those Magmas.
Like, really REALLY!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
power is somewhat meaningless - distortion at power is more telling. most of these "high power" SETs do so at extremely high distortion.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
power is somewhat meaningless - distortion at power is more telling. most of these "high power" SETs do so at extremely high distortion.

+1, depending on what they are some become nonlinear and distorted just past 10 Watts! Some already indroduce distortion with parallel output tubes design for that extra wattage, you need the right speaker to get the benefits of a SET amp pushing it with major design compromises to drive a load it was never intended for is the wrong approach; IMO.

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

True, Keith and David. But those bad distortion figures generally relate to low frequencies. With biamped Pendragons I am relieving the SETs of duty below 200 Hz where the distortion is highest.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That’s not true Ron, depending on the speaker the resistance can become jiggy at any frequency, what’s the efficiency of your main panels? Do you have measurement to know what’s going on with speaker at various frequencies? I very much doubt that a manufacturer of high powered SS amps would have SETs in my mind when designing speakers.
david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, but I think that is a separate variable.

I thought the largest issue with distortion from SET amplifiers occurs when the amplifiers are tasked with reproducing the lowest frequencies? SETs' output is most distorted at the lowest frequencies.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
My apologies Ron for going ' Off Reservation' aomewhat, however have you considered OTL topology as one potential solution.

http://http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MA-1

Good for 130-140 watts A class depending on 8 or 4 Ohm tap respectively, the next up the food chain MA-2...easily breaking the 200 Watt Class A ceiling, several similarities to SE, importantly in the midrange with less concern over distortion levels than pure SE topology.

http://http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MA-2

Merely a thought.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Generally speaking, you don't want to drive a SET much beyond 20-30% of its rated power; however, I have experienced enough exceptions to this rule to say that it is more of a rule of thumb rather than an ironclad law.

I would avoid any SET for which measurements are available and that they show issues with bass distortion...this has ramifications throughout the whole frequency range and not just bass. Now if you are going to actively feed it only mid and higher frequencies then that requirement might be somewhat relaxed. However, I have found that even with sensitive, easy to drive speakers the top SETs with serious output iron triumph over those with weedy little output trannies. They have greater transparency, are more relaxed and will have a purer tonality.

IF you are going to push the SET hard then it really pays to look at the design and size of the power supply...if it is under strain that will likely increase distortion and lessen the sense of authority.

I have had good success with SETs and normal speakers but only from the likes of Aries Cerat, KR Audio, Ayon and NAT. I haven't had Lamm in house so it is hard for me to say what they do with normal speakers...although they don't really have a high powered model in the first place.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Hello Ron,

While this one only tops out at 117 WPC and is technically PSET (not sure if that fits your category), it is a beast of a SET amp to look at:

https://www.audiothesis.com/pf100

I'm hoping in about 6 months I can afford to bring in a demo pair of these. Right now I've got the Evolution 845 (55 WPC PSET) and it is glorious. Their transformers are exceptional and one of a kind since they are developed in-house at MastersounD. One other big Italian tube amp designer lost a suit to MastersounD due to an attempt to reverse engineer their transformers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, after you set up your speakers, borrow the Atmasphere from c1Ferrari. Get gryphon amps from Philip. See what you prefer. If you like the Atma, try the Nat.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Looking forward to reading how this thread emerges...i remember having a big thread about SOTA powerful tube amps for my Strads...and eventually after pages and pages of reading, discussions and my own listening...i ended up with a Gryphon Antileon. And on to a Colosseum.

I am NOT saying this happens here, but I still am very interested in hearing what people have to recommend that fits Ron's requirements. I guess Wavac probably fit somewhere in here which I also considered seriously for a while (but could not get proper coverage here). I also have to think Aries Cerat will factor into this dialogue.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ron, after you set up your speakers, borrow the Atmasphere from c1Ferrari. Get gryphon amps from Philip. See what you prefer. If you like the Atma, try the Nat.
Great idea Ked, be good to hear any or all of these either way.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Ron,

I assume your pendragon mains come with bass towers amps and adjustment panels that include bass gain adjustment. Even with those adjustability, if you wish to play around with SETs for main speakers make sure you do homework well on the preamp you will be using too. Using different brands is always tempting and fun but synergy of the same brand for amps and preamp I find trump the standalone goodness of an equipment and a lot less headache.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Tang. My only pre-amp, now or in the future, is the Io Eclipse.

And I appreciate all the comments, gentlemen. But does anybody actually have an answer to the original opening post question?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing