Safety Master Pancakes - The Tall Stack!

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
One of my employees helping me resurrect safety masters that have been archived on "pancakes" from 1970's and 80's at a studio.

First you gotta very carefully get off the old masking tape at 4 corners then put the pancake onto new RMGI reels and screw em together without the tape getting messed up.
Then get the original tear sheet off the old box and onto a nice new red box, neat and tidy with all the old studio info in tact.

It's a tedious time consuming process......
???????Goes a bit faster with the power screw drivers but still an all afternoon task even with two of us working on it.

But what great sound, best DSOTM i ever heard, not to mention Beatles, Savoy Brown Dr. John, Little Feat, Neil Young, Traffic ,Joplin, JA, and the best Stevie Ray, Voodoo Chile and Tin Pan Alley and so many more......

SCORE!

1-IMG_1922.jpg

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I’ve done that recently. This is much easier with a master recorder where you can use plates and reels. You just put the pancake on a plate, rewind the tape on a reel, remove the plate and put a second reel and you are set. I have a batch of pancakes that should arrive in a few weeks time and the set of empty reels (10.5 and 12 inch) is ready for the transfer.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
I’ve done that recently. This is much easier with a master recorder where you can use plates and reels. You just put the pancake on a plate, rewind the tape on a reel, remove the plate and put a second reel and you are set. I have a batch of pancakes that should arrive in a few weeks time and the set of empty reels (10.5 and 12 inch) is ready for the transfer.

Actually I need the tapes on proper reels because at shows you have to be ready for upright deck playback under any variable show condition.

I've shown with my decks right next to a huge 60a power transformer and also under an A/C vent that was blowing Arctic air directly on the deck, it was literally freezing to the touch.

Gotta have your phazers set to kill, not to stun....

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting, Greg! Thank you for starting this thread!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing