Thread: Safety Master Pancakes - The Tall Stack!

Member Sponsor Senior Member Greg Beron's Avatar

Safety Master Pancakes - The Tall Stack!

One of my employees helping me resurrect safety masters that have been archived on "pancakes" from 1970's and 80's at a studio.

First you gotta very carefully get off the old masking tape at 4 corners then put the pancake onto new RMGI reels and screw em together without the tape getting messed up.
    Then get the original tear sheet off the old box and onto a nice new red box, neat and tidy with all the old studio info in tact.

It's a tedious time consuming process......
    ​​​​​​​Goes a bit faster with the power screw drivers but still an all afternoon task even with two of us working on it.

But what great sound, best DSOTM i ever heard, not to mention Beatles, Savoy Brown Dr. John, Little Feat, Neil Young, Traffic ,Joplin, JA, and the best Stevie Ray, Voodoo Chile and Tin Pan Alley and so many more......

SCORE!

Name:  1-IMG_1922.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  117.4 KB

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Damn !!!
    Christian

System Gear

I’ve done that recently. This is much easier with a master recorder where you can use plates and reels. You just put the pancake on a plate, rewind the tape on a reel, remove the plate and put a second reel and you are set. I have a batch of pancakes that should arrive in a few weeks time and the set of empty reels (10.5 and 12 inch) is ready for the transfer.

Member Sponsor Senior Member Greg Beron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc View Post
    I’ve done that recently. This is much easier with a master recorder where you can use plates and reels. You just put the pancake on a plate, rewind the tape on a reel, remove the plate and put a second reel and you are set. I have a batch of pancakes that should arrive in a few weeks time and the set of empty reels (10.5 and 12 inch) is ready for the transfer.
    Actually I need the tapes on proper reels because at shows you have to be ready for upright deck playback under any variable show condition.

I've shown with my decks right next to a huge 60a power transformer and also under an A/C vent that was blowing Arctic air directly on the deck, it was literally freezing to the touch.

Gotta have your phazers set to kill, not to stun....

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Very interesting, Greg! Thank you for starting this thread!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks