Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Studer A807

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Just a quick note. Most A80 boards have solid aluminum capacitors that do not degrade over time and do not need replacement. They look like tantalum capacitors, but they are not. Some people say that replacing them with tanatalum's will compromise the original design. But there is some divergence on the subject.
    Agree. They are organic type as I recall.

Addicted to Best! christensenleif@msn.com's Avatar
    the flat orange Philips ones are ok, but not for audio...

Quote Originally Posted by Ki Choi View Post
    Wise...
    Hi,

Now I have replaced all the caps on the machine. And now I face another problem. The rewind and fast forward works normal, but when I press "play", the tape plays at a fast speed, then slows down, fast again and then slows down again and eventually stops. What I mean is that the speed is inconsistent. Can it be due to the tape tension
    arm. Thinking that the pressure roller that locks on to the capstan is loose, I tried pressing it tight on to the capstan, but that makes the speed even faster. I really need your expertise and guidance here. Please help.

Thanks

Carlos

Addicted to Best! christensenleif@msn.com's Avatar
    sounds like you need to learn how set up brakes, tape tension, pinch roller pressure etc
    get a manual if you donīt already have one...

Quote Originally Posted by christensenleif@msn.com View Post
    sounds like you need to learn how set up brakes, tape tension, pinch roller pressure etc
    get a manual if you donīt already have one...
    Hi

Setting the tape tension, as according to the manual. Connect meter to TP2(ground) and TP5(+) on the "spooling motor control PCB". Hold the right tape pancake and press FAST FORWARD. I get a reading of 10.02V on my DMM (should read 10.0V according to manual). Next connect meter to TP2(ground) and TP1(+) on the "tape tension sensor PCB". It is stated "Press tape tension sensor to the rear until distance "X" (see figure) is 85mm, then adjust to 0.0V using trimmer pot R16(10K).
    I am not sure of this instruction, the distance between the tape tension lever and the sensor coil behind it is only approx 3mm, how do I press it in to the rear to a distance of 85mm. I guessed what it meant was to push the lever upwards towards the left reel (not sure) to a distance of 85mm . I did that but could not get a reading of 0.0V by adjusting trimmer pot 16. As I keep tuning , the voltage goes down to approx 0.3V and then suddenly it goes into millivolts (not able to get 0.0V). The other adjustment is to release the tape tension sensor to its rest position and adjust to 4.0V using trimmer pot R11(500K). This I am able to adjust to 4.0V exactly. After this adjustments, I pressed "play". It starts to play normal, but at certain points especially towards the end, the left side reel starts to make some squeeking and grinding sounds. In FAST REWIND mode, it starts to slow down towards the end. Is this due to misalignment of the tape tension. I do not have a 'TAPE TENSION METER" and not able to set the mechanical spring tension between the left reel and the tape tension arm.

Thanks

Carlos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12