DACs using dual differential balanced designs - have to be balanced XLR out?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Not many CD transports have this feature, and I would suspect those that do are probably not the top-tier solution for the money that the OP is looking for. His pre cannot accept balanced analog either.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Steve, the OP already has a $12k cd player (not transport). He is a long standing customer of mine and I know his system well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, I must admit to nativity in not being aware that the majority of dacs/cdps sound better/are designed for, balanced out.
My pre is single ended only, so I can’t even see if my cdp might be a step up going balanced out.
This is just giving me pause for thought. I’m not in any rush re this dac purchase, I’m just happy Sablon brought it to my attention ahead of me ordering, since I was blissfully unaware.
Thanks to you all for yr input.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Mark....Whilst I quite appreciate that you rather enjoy discussion generated by such Introspective Navel-Gazing, however my humble recommendation would be to cease dicking about considering frittering funds away on another flavour of digital to analoge reply, of which you are currently quite happy with, and concentrate your full Attention, Potential Travel/ Demo Time and said Funds on your final destination Vinyl front end, merely a thought.

Last edited:

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Ok Steve
My NAT Audio Utopia preamp is single ended only.
The dac I had been thinking of buying has been revealed to me as this dual differential balanced design.
I've been informed this configuration will not sound optimal running single ended out to preamp.
Hence my thread.

If I have read your other posts correctly, then, yes, the DAC employs a fully balanced architecture :) Something that I am looking at too.

While not from the same manufacturer, TotalDAC offers a balanced to single ended interconnect, using a transformer, which was designed to enable their d1-Dual, which is fully balanced, to be used with single ended amps. Whether that is as good as the Sablon interconnects is probably debatable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mark....Whilst I quite appreciate that you rather enjoy discussion generated by such Introspective Navel-Gazing, however my humble recommendation would be to cease dicking about considering frittering funds away on another flavour of digital to analoge reply, with which you are currently quite happy with, and concentrate your full Attention, Potential Travel/ Demo Time and said Funds on your final destination Vinyl front end, merely a thought.

Be a more balanced Dicking Around Convert?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, dicking about and navel gazing.
Stops me leaving the house and getting into even worse habits

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Steve, the OP already has a $12k cd player (not transport). He is a long standing customer of mine and I know his system well.

Surely a $12K CD player also has a digital output??

Steve N.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Surely a $12K CD player also has a digital output??

Steve N.

Sure it has an spdif output (rca!) however OP wants to move into server land and would need a digital input to use the inbuilt dac section in lieu of buying a separate dac.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Sure it has an spdif output (rca!) however OP wants to move into server land and would need a digital input to use the inbuilt dac section in lieu of buying a separate dac.

Oh, I missed that somehow.

In that case, I can recommend highly 2 great servers and one other solution:

1) Antipodes server from New Zealand - need a DAC with a good XMOS USB interface

2) Aurender N10 server - Need a DAC with a good XMOS USB interface

3) Ethernet renderer using Jriver or Roon and any computer - this is the path I am taking.
The reason that I have moved away from USB for my next generation is that there are simply too many hoops to jump through to achieve superb SQ with USB. Ethernet/network is simpler and more predictable. Less dependent on the computer and software.

#1 and #2 can also be converted to Ethernet or WIFI is you use a Sonore ultraRendu or microRendu.

http://www.sonore.us/index.html

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have just discovered that my Eera Tentation despite having single ended and balanced sockets, originally was single ended only.
At least this means I know I’m getting the best out of it. And leaves me w the dilemma of finding a dac today that is best single ended. I’m struggling to find one. I won’t even consider going streaming until I sort this dilemma.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Have just discovered that my Eera Tentation despite having single ended and balanced sockets, originally was single ended only.
At least this means I know I’m getting the best out of it. And leaves me w the dilemma of finding a dac today that is best single ended. I’m struggling to find one. I won’t even consider going streaming until I sort this dilemma.

Finding a really good USB interface on ANY DAC is a challenge, SE or balanced IME. If you must use an off the shelf server, like Antipodes or Aurender N10, then maybe consider an outboard USB interface, like the Berkeley. Then you don't have to worry about the quality of the USB interface on the DAC, or if it even has one. I don't recommend running the S/PDIF directly from the server to the DAC if you want the best out of your DAC.

Again, I much prefer Ethernet/WIF interfaces to a server with USB. Then you only need a computer of any type that is connected to the network. Even better audio quality than USB. You can also get an Ethernet converter or "renderer", so the DAC does not need Ethernet input. Better if it has it built-in though.

Not sure what your budget is, but the DaVinci II is a winner at $31K.

I still think the answer is a good balanced DAC and a Final Drive. This way you get the SE output you need, the DAC sounds best and you eliminate a ground-loop.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, thanks for the offer, but £4k for yr transformers plus a set of XLRs is not an expense I can envisage when I’m already pushed on the budget for dac and streamer.
Maybe at a later date.
This late piece of info re 99.999% of dacs decidedly superior balanced out, my inability to go balanced (except at inflated cost via seperate add-on transformers/XLRs) due to single ended-only preamp, and discovering my cdp is actually optimal as I use it ie single ended, is all meaning I’m passing on any steamer/dac option other than a v basic one, with a cheaper dac that I can hope to find is not poor single ended, eg the Kitsune Edition Holo Springs, and even if not ideal, I won’t have splashed the cash in making a big mistake).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
IMHO, you're reading too much into it. Perhaps trying to justify NOT buying a DAC?

And FYI, the MSB Analog DAC is single-ended, and sounds better that way. The Reference and the SELECT have dedicated output modules for each kind, so they work the same no matter what connection is used.

cheers,
alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Alex, I can always justify not buying audio gear.
It so happens I’m landed with a preamp that’s single ended only, and it appears nearly all dacs sound better balanced.
Tbh, you’re the only one here stating the difference is nothing to break sweat on.
I set up both of these related threads to test the water, and no one else is saying much else other than differences are significant.
I really can’t justify spending big on eg Formula if it’s plain that balanced out is the best way to listen to it.
But yes, guilty as charged, it is a current reason for me to hold off.

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
It so happens I’m landed with a preamp that’s single ended only, and it appears nearly all dacs sound better balanced.

The next best thing to a balanced input would be an unbalanced input fed from a transformer. A couple of Cinemags or Lundhals is going to be cheaper than a whole new pre.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Why not just have a local tech install XLR input jacks and balanced > se trafos in your preamp?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
For the record, I do agree with Ed that it'll be very preamp dependant. On the darTZeel integrated, the Formula worked better via the RCAs, while on the D'Agostino, it was better via XLR.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Opus, that’s pretty much what Steve of Empirical Audio is recommending re buying his Final Drive transformers.
A pair of these plus extra set of XLR interconnects doubles the cost of the interesting more affordable dac I was considering buying.

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I tend to agree with Alex... you could be just ever so slightly caught up with the all or nothing syndrome that all of us audiophiles get suckered in to with only ever feeling comfortable when absolutely chasing the best. I had some of my other family around tonight and we had a complete buzz playing all sorts of music from Alabama Shakes through to Bach Oboe concerto, Cecile Mclorin Servant, Van Morrison, Phantom Limb, Brahms Cello and piano, Beethoven’s Emperor, Frantz Braun Frickt, DJ Kicks, and all streamed... and to be honest the rca and xlr connectors mean three parts of f all when you just can have any music there when you think about it.

Roon via Tidal was more the real basis of the fun. We took turns in DJing and the world was our oyster. In truth it would have done nothing to diminish the soul and fun that great music brings whether it was via single ended or balanced differential. Get the better, most musical inclined dac and don’t stress too much over how it’s wired up too much. Everything sounds fine when surfing the infinite joy of a truly wide wide world music catalogue. Sharing is always caring.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing