Pass Labs XP-15 vs XP-17 – anyone have first-hand experience?

Crumhorn

Oct 21, 2017
Hi All - I'm new to WBF.

Having purchased my first line-stage (& solid-state) preamp (XP-30), I now need a (s-s) phono stage. (My life is now such that I need the convenience of solid state.) Without naming names, a Pass Labs employee expressed the opinion that the XP-17 was on an entirely different level (better) than the XP-15, and that the 17 was the clear choice. On the other hand, the one very knowledgeable dealer I have spoken with felt that they were equally good but different, and that it was a matter of taste. Given my 40-year love affair with tubes, he thought I would prefer the XP-15. He characterized it as warmer, smoother, & more tonally balanced than the 17, which he said was a bit brighter, more 3D, and more revealing & detailed.

Since I have no local dealer at which to hear (& compare) for myself, I would value any experience anyone has to offer. (The XP-17 represents the maximum my budget allows.)

Thanks!

SOTA Star (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel, Cosmos upgrades)/SME V/Koetsu Rosewood Signature, Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck:D, Pass Labs XP-30 & Hovland HP-100 preamps, Edge G8+ monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks, Infinity IRS Beta & Rockport Atria Speakers, MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs, Shunyata 6000T, Shunyata Alpha NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing